Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 11 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 30 August 2011 - 12:04 PM

I'm just doing a risk assessment regarding returnable packaging.

Within this there are a couple of questions come to mind that I do not know if there are real risks, or simply perceived risks due to my lack of knowledge.

Firstly, is essence of nuts applicable to all, or just some, types of nuts? I 'believe' peanuts to be strong in essence, but not so sure over tree-nuts. (My current concern is with tree-nuts)

Assuming essence from tree-nuts is also of real concern, situation is that cartons may be stored in close proximity to these tree nuts (~1.5m).... could the essence travel to the packaging, and be retained within the carton over, say, 2weeks, and then have retained sufficient essence to be of concern if those cartons were then taken into a filling room during a 'free-from nuts' production run. It all seems unlikely to me ... but is there a feasible risk of then contaminating the product fill with nut-essence?
AS an aside, I was wondering what they did on aircraft.... if a passenger has a nut allergy, the airline negates from selling nuts on board during that flight ... but what if nuts were being freely eaten on that aircraft on its previous flight? .. how much of a clean-down would they do in reality when often a flight makes a return journey within the hour?

Thank you in advance, for any input.

Tony.

TonyG

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 11 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 30 August 2011 - 12:09 PM

Assuming essence from tree-nuts is also of real concern, situation is that cartons may be stored in close proximity to these tree nuts (~1.5m).... could the essence travel to the packaging, and be retained within the carton over, say, 2weeks, and then have retained sufficient essence to be of concern if those cartons were then taken into a filling room during a 'free-from nuts' production run.

I should have added that the 2weeks, is a period whereby the 'contaminated' packaging is returned to the supplier, re-used and new product shipped in, and then taken into nut-free production.

TonyG

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 11 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 02 September 2011 - 08:32 AM

Any nut experts scientists, or anyone who has had to consider this before, out there that can offer any advice/opinion/knowledge?

thanks,
tony.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users