rotiboy1002

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 33 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

Posted 05 October 2011 - 12:00 AM

Hi guys,

Do you have any suggestion on Preventation Action for issue with non-conforming raw materials? e.g. found mold in ingredient, that ingredient was from a single supplier.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 05 October 2011 - 02:12 AM

Hi guys,

Do you have any suggestion on Preventation Action for issue with non-conforming raw materials? e.g. found mold in ingredient, that ingredient was from a single supplier.

Do you mean a visual contamination ?

I presume you hv a mutually agreed specification which either has a zero tolerance or a (lower) maximum allowance.

If so, probably you can reject and claim accordingly.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

rotiboy1002

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 33 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

Posted 05 October 2011 - 02:23 AM

Do you mean a visual contamination ?

I presume you hv a mutually agreed specification which either has a zero tolerance or a (lower) maximum allowance.

If so, probably you can reject and claim accordingly.

Rgds / Charles.C

Charles,

I am assuming that it is a visible microbial contamination e.g. mold. For me, reject the lot will be an immediate corrective action. However, I would like to have opinion on long term preventative action. Would that be evaluation of supplier and scout for alternate supplier?

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 05 October 2011 - 06:32 AM

Dear rotiboy,

Well, IMEX, it depends on yr internal decision-making plan.
For example, when you source raw materials etc, one usually does not make a "stop" decision on a regular supplier based solely on one lot unless there is some horrific disaster (eg quality, trust or money-wise).

An example of "horrific" might be if this were a new supplier and business was initiated on the basis of a trial sample which was of a totally different calibre to the clearly unacceptable delivered lot. It happens. :smile:

In contrast, if you hv been doing regular business for years with no comparable problems so that this was probably caused by some abnormal circumstances, the reaction would usually be different.

A generic approach is to set up an action system based on a mixture of safety (Ma/Mi/Cr etc) / non-safety defects. The former criteria tend to be assessed continuously while the latter are time-averaged, graded, and acted on accordingly (eg Grade A max 2% defects / month = satisfactory, D = >10% = Unsatisfactory = action). Similar set-up as used by factory auditors and examples of which are scattered around this forum (eg try search for "supplier"). Usually necessary to hv a separate evaluation for new suppliers.

The ease of application may depend on the product form / quantity / value / number of lots per time interval. Some official sets of plans exist, eg Mil. Standards.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users