Gillian Patterson

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Honours year Food and Consumer Science student at the University of Abertay, Dundee.

Posted 20 October 2011 - 09:05 PM

Hello all! :bye:

I am in my fourth year at Abertay uni in Dundee studying food and consumer science. I though I'd come here to ask for a little advice and look for some information and ideas on my dissertation topic. I am currently writing my draft proposal and my ideas are changing as I go along.

I plan on looking at the evolution of HACCP and food safety management systems. I wonder if most people will be shocked at this, as I think I am one of few people in the world who actually enjoy the concept of HACCP :) I really enjoy HACCP and fsm, earlier this year I did a placement in a technical role which involved me even writing a HACCP plan.

My plan is to specifically state all the changes that have happened to the haccp system since the 1970's, with a little bit about how it was developed in the 1950's, the growth from three to five principles, and the changes of CCP1/CCP2/CP and PRP's.

I think I would also like to have a look at the future of haccp and fsm and what we could be focusing on in the future with maybe the addition of new principles, possibly focusing on validation?

I would also like to state some of the main food illness outbreaks that have affected the UK (and maybe the US) over the years focusing on reaction time. If anyone can help me with finding out what these are I hope that's not cheating :whistle:

This does seem like a lot of information! Well if anybody has any views on the above or anything to say really I'd appreciate it!

Thanks, Gill

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 21 October 2011 - 12:20 PM

Dear Gillian,

One thing for sure, there is no shortage of evolutionary background material, published and on the net, it's a quite well-trodden subject. :smile:

I would think that an appraisal of the parallel linkage with risk assessment would be a somewhat relevant aspect.

And not to forget the ongoing attempt by ISO to re-focus HACCP implementation as a result of their (perceived) defects of the traditional system / concept.

And you are correct IMO that topics like Validation / Verification hv been usefully popularised out of their previous niches into more "mainline" aspects,eg food, thanks to HACCP's boom.

Certainly not a small Enterprise. Good luck !

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

MKRMS

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 57 posts
  • 31 thanks
Neutral

• Ireland
    Ireland
  • Interests:Food microbiology and related fields: conservation, cooking, cooling, re-heating, storage<br />HACCP and food safety management in in small and medium sized businesses<br />EU and international food legislation<br />Food Standards

Posted 21 October 2011 - 01:11 PM

Here's an article that might provide a starting point:

Sperber, W.H., Stier, R.F. Happy 50th Birthday to HACCP: Retrospective and Perspective. Food Safety Magazine, Dec 2009/Jan 2010, 42-46
http://www.foodsafet...d=3481&sub=sub1 (Text)

It gives a brief overview over HACCP development (milestones only, focus on U.S.) in the last 50 years and has a number of hopefully useful references.

Regards,

Matt

MKRMS Food Safety - Be on the FOOD SAFE side!
http://www.mkrms.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

Mr Meat

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Scotland
    Scotland

Posted 28 October 2011 - 07:22 AM

Hi Gillian,

I think you should focus your research on a few things.

1. HACCP and its evolution in the UK or (preferably) Scottish meat industry.
2. The impact the Wishaw E.coli outbreak and the subsequent Pennington report had on the practical evolution of HACCP in the meat industry
3. The role the FSA played in the evolution of HACCP in the meat industry

The uptake of the HACCP concept was primarily in the meat industry due to the E.coli outbreak and Pennington's report. I guess you could contact Hugh Pennington as part of your research to get the inside angle.

The other thing is you could probably get a hold of old HACCP plans and compare them to new ones and see how they were written and why the number of CCPs have reduced when the process has remained the same.

As I work in the meat industry and have been involved with HACCP for years I would be interested in your research. I also know a lot of people in the Scottish meat industry who would be able to help you and would also be interested in what you are doing.

Drop me a line if that is any help/interest to you.

Regards,

Mr Meat

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users