• Quick Navigation
Photo

Does verification of cleaning records need to be done daily?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

carine

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 361 posts
  • 22 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 24 October 2011 - 04:48 PM

Hi all,

Does record of cleaning & production have to be verified on daily basics? Pls advice

Madam A. D-tor

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 644 posts
  • 230 thanks
Excellent

• Netherlands
    Netherlands
  • Interests:meat, meat products, ready to eat, food safety, QMS, audits, hazard analyses, IFS, BRC, SQF, HACCP, ISO 9001, ISO 22000

Posted 24 October 2011 - 09:09 PM

Depends on the frequency of cleaning and on how much you trust your cleaning team.

It is better to verify the cleaning in stead of the documents.
I do not know which standard you work with, but in the most standards it is a requirement to verify the cleaning. either visual or microbiologically.
Records of cleaning should be available and also records of the verification.
Verification of cleaning records is not a requirement in BRC, IFS, ISO 22000 and Dutch HACCP (do not know for other schemes).

Kind Regards,

Madam A. D-tor

RMAV

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 407 posts
  • 122 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:QA, Micro, Sanitation;
    Meats, Juice, Condiments;
    SQF, Audit, and aviation

Posted 25 October 2011 - 12:24 AM

I agree with what Madam A.D-tor has said.

Does your standard or system require you to review the documents daily? In one place I have been, the sanitation supervisor reviewed the work of the sanitation team and recorded this review on the cleaning documents. Then a quality assurance person inspected the areas cleaned and recorded this review. A coordinator or manager then reviewed the documents. In addition there was ATP monitoring as well as weekly microbiological surface sampling.

Depending on what you produce and to an extent, where you are will determine to what degree you clean, monitor/verify, and review.

If you'd like more specifics, give us some details about where you are and what you do. Best Regards!

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 25 October 2011 - 05:40 AM

It depends on your product risks IMO. If you were packing sandwiches, maybe yes. If you're packing crisps, maybe no. Also as others have suggested, ATP might be needed although I'm always a bit suspicious on ATP and think you can get better verification from using your eyes because as soon as you have a piece of equipment saying 'clean' or 'dirty', people forget to use their eyes and brains.

Take for example a QA of mine: "The ATP machine says it's clean but the line looks dirty, what should I do?" REALLY???? I think there might have been a few more swear words used but the general gist was "CLEAN IT!"

Thanked by 1 Member:

faisal rafique

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 59 posts
  • 19 thanks
Neutral

• Pakistan
    Pakistan

Posted 25 October 2011 - 11:22 AM

Yes, it all depends upon products. Perishable products require require more attention and sanitation.

Madam A. D-tor

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 644 posts
  • 230 thanks
Excellent

• Netherlands
    Netherlands
  • Interests:meat, meat products, ready to eat, food safety, QMS, audits, hazard analyses, IFS, BRC, SQF, HACCP, ISO 9001, ISO 22000

Posted 25 October 2011 - 09:11 PM

Yes, but,.... was the question not related to verification of the records?

Kind Regards,

Madam A. D-tor

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 26 October 2011 - 06:40 AM

Yes but the extent you will go to in verification will depend upon product risk. For example, in a sandwich factory, daily ATP swabs and visual checks plus a management sign off for each clean plus weekly micro swabs I would think but a bakery might just be a visual check by the person cleaning and planned micro swabs monthly plus a monthly audit. So the type of verification might change and the frequency will change dependent on risk.

mind over matter

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 369 posts
  • 44 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 26 October 2011 - 02:39 PM

Hi all,

Does record of cleaning & production have to be verified on daily basics? Pls advice

By no means am I lack the experience on this (experts out there, please correct me if any of my advice is wrong) but I guess you need to maintain a record that shows e.g. equipment, etc were cleaned and sanitized before use and after any interruption where it may be contaminated.

foodsafetyboy

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 72 posts
  • 9 thanks
Neutral

Posted 28 October 2011 - 06:04 AM

Hi all,

Hello,

There are several types of verification, onsite verification - verification that the actual cleaning is done, verification of records - verification that the checklist (if you have one) is filled up correctly, and verification that the actual area is really clean through swab test.

In my experience, I am doing weekly verification of records, random verification of the actual cleaning process, and monthly environmental and food contact swabs that will verify the effectiveness of the cleaning operation.

Regards, food safety boy

carine

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 361 posts
  • 22 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 03 November 2011 - 08:07 AM

What is meant is verification of the checklist. Btw, how do u all random verifiying the actual cleaning process and can anybody explain to me what is the differences between cleannig record and cleaning checklist? Thanks in advance.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users