Betty8

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 28 October 2011 - 12:24 PM

Hi Everyone

Could you please share your opinion about using sweatbands to cover wristwatches in relation to BRC requirements.

I'm working for soft drinks manufacturer (low risk) and have small problem with supervisors who want to wear wristwatches (apparently they need them to manage breaks-time etc,). From risk assessment I don't see reason why they can't do it because there is no direct contact to the open product therefore no risk of contamination. It would be very easy for me to say Not allowed but more difficult to explain people why when they're asking.

Thanks

ScottN_AMQA

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 21 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 October 2011 - 04:02 PM

Global Standard for Food Safety Issue 6 , clause 7.2.1 , Wristwatches shall not be worn.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1364 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 08 November 2011 - 10:08 PM

The standard is your shield. Get some clocks up in strategic positions (shatter proof of course). :smile:

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Thanked by 1 Member:

tsmith7858

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 262 posts
  • 52 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 November 2011 - 11:59 AM

The standard is your shield. Get some clocks up in strategic positions (shatter proof of course). :smile:

Agree with Simon, some well placed shatter proof clocks should solve the issue. Besides, sweat bands create a whole other sanitary problem which is one of the same reasons you don't want wrist watches.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Eat more fish

Grade - Active

• 4 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 14 November 2011 - 08:29 AM

Couldn't agree more. BRC clearly forbids wearing of watches so despite the risk level I'm afraid that's rather that.

Consider incorporating this into your 'Health and Hygiene' policy and statement signed by operatives during induction. Put up shatterproof clocks around the factory and include them in your glass and hard plastics register.

Hope this helps

Dood

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 23 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 17 November 2011 - 09:20 AM

Hi Everyone

Could you please share your opinion about using sweatbands to cover wristwatches in relation to BRC requirements.

I'm working for soft drinks manufacturer (low risk) and have small problem with supervisors who want to wear wristwatches (apparently they need them to manage breaks-time etc,). From risk assessment I don't see reason why they can't do it because there is no direct contact to the open product therefore no risk of contamination. It would be very easy for me to say Not allowed but more difficult to explain people why when they're asking.

Thanks

As stated before, the Standard says no watches.
An argument that you supervisors will put across about clocks is that won't all be the same. (We had the same issue)
End result was to buy them cheapish stop watches and have a weekly/monthly stop watch register.

Jim E.

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 167 posts
  • 25 thanks
Good

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:Sports of course.
    Food safety for all things eaten not just what we make.
    Being able to see my kids grow up in healthy environment.

Posted 17 November 2011 - 10:38 PM

Absolutley, no watches in the plant. BRC requirements alone should keep them out of the plant. If you need more ammunition go with the safety aspect, i.e. catching item on equipment and injury to employee. I have seen what happens to folks getting items caught in machinery and thgen there is all the cleaning, sanitizing and destruction of finished product to take care of after wards. :biggrin:

Anne Z

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 86 posts
  • 14 thanks
Neutral

• Netherlands
    Netherlands

Posted 18 November 2011 - 09:57 AM

Hi,

I just recieved these pictures for my hygiene presentation.
Beside the standards, the glas you can emphasise the microbiological risks and show them.

Good luck!

Anne

Attached Files

Thanked by 1 Member:
GMO

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 18 November 2011 - 01:22 PM

Dear God! When I saw the name of the thread I thought, no, no-one is seriously... Oh, yes they are! :doh:

Ok, pretty much everything is enclosed but as previous posters have said, it's now explicit in the standard and a suitable alternative (a wall clock) exists.

You have to be a bit careful permitting things like this as you have to think "what are the next steps?" if you allow that, why not other jewellery? Why do they have to wear hairnets? Why not come into work in whatever they like? :unsure:

Developing the micro slides argument from above is worth consideration. Remember people do not pick up a drinks can, santise the outside and allow to dry and then take a swig; they pick it up and they drink it. This is why even in packed product areas, I always insist upon good hygiene standards.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users