• 137 posts
  • 142 thanks
Good

• Wales
    Wales
  • Interests:Twitter @DSi77

Chartered Scientist (CSci)
    Member of IFST (MIFST)
    Avid guitar player, dog walker and fitness trainer.
    I love reading, and learning about new fields in food science and technology.

Posted 23 November 2011 - 12:04 PM

Good Afternoon All,

How can I convince my Directors/Management Team that the BRC is not a Technical Standard but a Food Safety Standard for Food Manufacturing Organisations, and that ALL Directors/Management must be involved and engaged in the BRC in order to succeed continously in its requirements?

This is proving difficult...

Thanks

Simon

mind over matter

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 369 posts
  • 44 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 26 November 2011 - 03:06 PM

Good Afternoon All,

How can I convince my Directors/Management Team that the BRC is not a Technical Standard but a Food Safety Standard for Food Manufacturing Organisations, and that ALL Directors/Management must be involved and engaged in the BRC in order to succeed continously in its requirements?

Thanks

Simon

I'm not familiar with BRC but why not put that issue/observation into management review and let the top management worry about it? It's their problem to fix, not yours. If you are the Management Representative or Food Safety Team Leader, then perhaps the problem lies on your shoulders, are you? But it is ultimately always top management's responsibility, IMO.

Edited by mind over matter, 26 November 2011 - 04:57 PM.

mgourley

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,417 posts
  • 1003 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Cooking, golf, firearms, food safety and sanitation.

Posted 26 November 2011 - 07:40 PM

Good Afternoon All,

Thanks

Simon

There is a reason that Senior Management Commitment is the first section and Fundamental.
There are enough "Senior management shall..." sentences in there to convince even the most dense Senior Management type that they have responsibilities as well.

Marshall

trubertq

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 658 posts
  • 281 thanks
Excellent

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 29 November 2011 - 06:15 PM

Good Afternoon All,

Thanks

Simon

What I did was to copy the section on Senior management commitment and highlight the clauses.Then I made sure at every meeting to refer to the fact that ALL managers would be involved in the audit... e.g. production, logistics etc... and that they need to be able to show competency within their area regarding BRC... after many repetitions and a further iteration during the pre-audit, by the external auditor, the penny dropped and suddenly there were requests for crib sheets.The audit went well and everyone performed beautifully.
Keep chipping away, the BRC audit is much too big for one person to deal with.

I'm entitled to my opinion, even a stopped clock is right twice a day

Cravin' Cajun?

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 51 posts
  • 30 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food Safety, HACCP, BRC, Spices

Posted 09 December 2011 - 04:15 PM

My company hired a third-party auditor to come in and give us a training on the new Version 6 of the BRC standard. We made sure to invite ALL senior managers to the training, and asked them to send a representative from their dept. if they could not attend the two day training. During the training, the auditor must have said 10 times, "Your upcoming BRC audit is NOT A QUALITY AUDIT ONLY, but an audit of the entire system", and he also said, "If I show up for a BRC audit, and the only people there to meet me are the QA team, I immediately know that this company will NOT pass the audit, because they are lacking in the most important principle, Management Committment". I was so happy when he said this, because it made them all sit up a little straighter and pay more attention to the rest of his presentation!

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 09 December 2011 - 05:05 PM

My company hired a third-party auditor to come in and give us a training on the new Version 6 of the BRC standard. We made sure to invite ALL senior managers to the training, and asked them to send a representative from their dept. if they could not attend the two day training. During the training, the auditor must have said 10 times, "Your upcoming BRC audit is NOT A QUALITY AUDIT ONLY, but an audit of the entire system", and he also said, "If I show up for a BRC audit, and the only people there to meet me are the QA team, I immediately know that this company will NOT pass the audit, because they are lacking in the most important principle, Management Committment". I was so happy when he said this, because it made them all sit up a little straighter and pay more attention to the rest of his presentation!

Excellent SugarMama. :clap:
Nothing like putting the frightners on Senior Management. :smile:

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users