• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:11 PM

Hi All,

I know this won't be news to Australian readers but I think this is a really interesting tool. It's all about assessing risk of cross contamination and then, whether to label. I'm not sure yet if I'm going to use it for evidence towards BRC because it isn't a quick job but I might reference the limits they use to 'acceptable' levels of cross contamination.

http://www.allergenb...ital-calculator

Hope that's helpful!

Thanked by 3 Members:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 05 January 2012 - 06:20 PM

Hi All,

I know this won't be news to Australian readers but I think this is a really interesting tool. It's all about assessing risk of cross contamination and then, whether to label. I'm not sure yet if I'm going to use it for evidence towards BRC because it isn't a quick job but I might reference the limits they use to 'acceptable' levels of cross contamination.

http://www.allergenb...ital-calculator

Hope that's helpful!

Dear GMO,

Thanks. I remember this is quite detailed discussed in the Australian Literature (and affiliated website presumably). Impressive analysis but assumes your head doesn't spin too easily. :smile:

Not sure if any significant changes since 2008 ?

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

QLD

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 59 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:49 PM

Dear GMO,

Thanks. I remember this is quite detailed discussed in the Australian Literature (and affiliated website presumably). Impressive analysis but assumes your head doesn't spin too easily. :smile:

Not sure if any significant changes since 2008 ?

Rgds / Charles.C

there is a new version being reviewed at the moment with a view to a public release in the next few months. Some detail of the review and new version are can be found here.

http://www.allergenb...ow-Oct-2011.pdf

It is a great tool and I often use the it to support decision making on equipment purchase and to understand risk to product. I would say that it does look a little bit daunting at first but once you get your head round it you find its actually pretty quick and easy to use.

A couple of useful public presentations that might be of interest.

http://www.factaaust...ents/resources/

allergenen

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 14 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Netherlands
    Netherlands

Posted 12 February 2012 - 07:08 PM

Who applies VITAL already and has expercience with acception of the VITAL grid/ approach by (English) retailers, BRC or IFS certification?

Quality Ben

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 85 posts
  • 16 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia
  • Interests:Food Safety, Quality, Laboratory, Technical Issues, Water Activity and Migration, VITAL, Allergens, Fresh Produce, Post Harvest, Cold Smoked Fish, Non Pasteurised Caviar, Cook/Chill, Listeria Hunting & Eradication/Environmental monitoring programs, Small-Goods, HACCP, Continuous Improvement, Problem Solving, Risk Mitigation, Listeria.spp., High Risk, Chemistry, Cleaning and Sanitation, Biosecurity, Consultancy, Training, Process Control

Food Safety = Science + Culture

Posted 15 May 2014 - 10:19 PM

Hi all,

I have been using VITAL at my workplace for about a year now and have logged around 200 hours on it!! (we use re work.....so it becomes a long tedious process to determine allergen risk). I am happy to try and help with any questions regarding its use and would love to hear about how others use it.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 15 May 2014 - 11:11 PM

Dear All,

Vital is undoubtedly a worthwhile attempt ro introduce some quantitation into a very complex subject.

But a significant  problem  is that, AFAIK, most official legislation does not yet accept the validity of its conclusions bar a few locations such as Australia. The reasons particularly relate to the theoretical/practical basis of the background theory as discussed in previous threads on this forum. The effective consequence is that the value/implementation of Vital's proposed thresholds are debated. 

Rgds / Charles.C

PS - note that this is quite an old thread, there are several related ones posted later.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users