Calibration of measuring and monitoring devices forms a standard component of all major food safety standards. The requirements relating to calibration aim to ensure these devices are sufficiently accurate to provide confidence in measurement results. This is particularly important where the device is used to measure a variable or attribute required for the safe production of food products e.g. those relating to a CCP’s.
Standards such as the BRC, SQF and ISO 22000 have prescriptive requirements for calibration which include:
- Development of a documented calibration plan.
- Listing all identified measuring and monitoring devices.
- Based on an assessment of risk for each identified device.
- Development of a calibration programme for each item defining the frequency of checking and adjustment.
- Each programme should be traceable to a recognized standard where possible.
- Records of calibration, checks and adjustments should be maintained.
- Internal reference standards should be calibrated to a recognized standard.
- Procedures for calibration should be in place.
To comply with these requirements, food businesses must adopt a structured approach to the development of their calibration system resulting in a calibration plan covering all relevant devices, based on risk assessed and scheduled to ensure the reliability of measurement data.
How does Safefood 360 Meet These Requirements?
The requirements set out above and contained in the various standards describe a typical management system whereby you define:
- What you do (calibration programme specification)
- Nature of what you do (certified calibration or internal check)
- Why you do it (risk assessment)
- How often you do it (calibration frequency)
- Who does it
- How it is done (procedure or SOP)
- The basis for what is done (traceability to standards)
- Record of calibration
- Records of adjustment
- Records of correct actions if required.
Safefood 360’s calibration provides a structured platform to meet requirements. You can:
- Quickly set up your program
- Record all calibrations including adjustments
- View your calibration plan which is automatically created and maintained in real time
- View all upcoming and overdue calibrations
- Receive notification of calibrations due
- Generate your calibration reports with one click