• Quick Navigation
Photo

What documents do you request from your suppliers?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

TatianaLC

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Slovenia
    Slovenia

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:36 AM

Dear all,

which documents do you request from suppliers - on an annual basis and from new supplier? Statements, registrations, specifications...? Maybe some document or form about this?

I am working in meat production and this part is not covered very good.

Nice day,

Tatjana

shayaree

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:20 PM

Hi Tatjana,

Following are some important documents which you may require;

1. A copy of your company's contract with the supplier (e.g.QA specifications, price etc. as agreed upon)
2. Certificate of analysis with each lot of the supply
3. If you are procuring meat from outside then the suppliers operating liscence as required by Regulatory athuorities in your region.
4. HALAL/KOSHER certificate
5. Certificate of complaince of Quality management system which your supplier may be following.

Hope you'll find this useful.

Shayaree

Thanked by 1 Member:

George @ Safefood 360°

Grade - SIFSQN

• Corporate Sponsor
  • 374 posts
  • 327 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 March 2012 - 05:11 PM

The information required can vary depending on the supplier and risks etc. But typically you are looking at collecting information that allows you to make informed decisions on the supplier, the materials or services supplied and data so you may approve them including

1. Supplier self assessment questionnaire
2. Copy of the their HACCP summary
3. Specifications
4. MSDS
5. Copies of independent certifications
6. Statements / certification of conformance
7. Plant registration

It really depends on what standards you are operating to, the supplier and what they supply.

George

Thanked by 1 Member:

Philip.H

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 15 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Belgium
    Belgium

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:37 PM

Hi,

Interesting topic!

Let see.

Suppliers specification
Depends in function of country Sanitory number and file
Relevant Quality Certificates; BRC, IFS
or self assessment questionnaire
Product questionnaire (legal name, recipe + country of origin!, allergens (crosscontamination!), bbe + delivery information,allowed diet (vegan ...), process(+ gmo, irradiation) , packaging

Then there are some verry material specific questions
Analysis (pesticides, heavy metals, mycotoxines, protein and fat (meat))
Sudan Red
RSPO or GREENPALM

So these are general supplier questions. For meat production, I think that veterinary documents will need to be in order.
In Europe, conformity with the 2073/2005 Microbiological criteria is necessary.

Cheers

Edited by Philip.H, 11 May 2012 - 07:38 PM.

xylough

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 149 posts
  • 154 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:"Foodie" stuff, dogs, family, horticulture, natural sciences

Posted 11 March 2015 - 09:52 PM

Dear Tatjana,

Attached is the document request letter I would send to all my suppliers each year. I ran a gourmet meat and poultry further processing facility. Please understand these were requirements of USDA, FDA, my 3rd party audits and my customers. These were not meant to be GFSI benchmarked scheme requirments.

Obviously some of these will not apply to your facility in Slovenia

Attached Files

Madam A. D-tor

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 644 posts
  • 230 thanks
Excellent

• Netherlands
    Netherlands
  • Interests:meat, meat products, ready to eat, food safety, QMS, audits, hazard analyses, IFS, BRC, SQF, HACCP, ISO 9001, ISO 22000

Posted 12 March 2015 - 08:01 AM

Dear Tatjana,

What you need for information from your suppliers depends on:

1) the products they are supplying to you,

2) the risks you have identified,

3) the standard you are certificated,

4) the standard the supplier is certificated and

5) legal requirements.

For ALL products, ingredients, raw materials and packaging materials you will need a thoroughly product specification indicating at least product description, ingredients, treatment, storage conditions, allergens, GMO statement (can also be a separate document), shelf life, microbiological parameters and chemical parameters.

From ALL suppliers you need name, address, phone number, contacts, etc. and you need to have evidence of your approval. If in your procedure supplier approval is stated that you approve your suppliers based on valid certificates, these should be present. If you approve suppliers based on audit reports, these should be present. Etc

Further you might want to know who you need to be contacted in case of emergency or recall. Within and outside operating hours.

ad 1) depending on the products or services you might need more information based on your risk assessment or based on legal requirements.

ad 2) depending on your own hazard identification and risk assessment, you need information from your supplier how he has covered the hazards/risks. E.g. if you are buying processed vegetables and you have identified the hazard of pesticide in this raw material/product, you might want information from the supplier how he has covered this hazard. Perhaps you might also want to know, based on your hazard identification/risk assessment, if there is a metal detector or Xray and on what limits it is set. If you have a thoroughly working metal detector yourself, this information might not be relevant to you.

Ad 3) the standards have requirements on the information you want from your suppliers. E.g. BRC is requiring food grade statements for packaging materials and other materials in contact with your products, contracts with service suppliers, audit report or certificate from raw material suppliers, etc. (note: issue 7 want you to know the allergen status of lubrications (4.7.6)) in general GFSI standards wants your suppliers to be certificated against GFSI certificate.

Ad 4) If your supplier is ISO 22000 or HACCP certificated. You only know that they have a HACCP based management system. You have no information for this suppliers regarding preventing metal contamination, sample plans etc. You might want this information depending on 2 and 3 above.

If your supplier is ISO 9001 certificated you only know they have a quality management system. HACCP would not have to be part of this.

Ad 5) depending on the type of product, there are legal requirements. E.g. approval to supply within Europe (facility code) for meat, fish and dairy. Histamine analyse reports for Tuna, Aflatocin analyse reports for peanuts, etc.

Regarding certificates. If you are approving your suppliers by certificates. You need to check the validity of the certificates. A possibility is to request a copy of  the new certificate if the old one is expired. There seems to be a lot of false certificates and to be honest, I am sure that I myself, without any specific knowledge of graphic design, can make a false certificate. Therefore it is better and easier to check this on the website of the standard owners. E.g. for Global Gap and BRC the directories are public accessible and easy in use. IFS portal is AFAIK only accessible for IFS certificated companies. I have no information about other standards.

If you receive certificates from suppliers, please check if the products supplied to you, fit in the scope of the certificate and if the address of the certificate is indeed the address of the facility producing the products you buy.

Regarding frequency of requesting this information from your supplier:

Some information does not change and there might be no need to ask for this more than once in a couple of years. E.g. contract, contact persons, EG-approval numbers. GFSI certificates have a validity of 1 year, so you need to refresh the information annually, by asking your supplier or by checking on directories of the standard owners.

Specifications need to be actual and correct. These have to be updated every time the product change or if legal requirements change. Next to this, it is common, if the product is not changed, to ask for a updated specification at least every 3 years.

Kind Regards,

Madam A. D-tor

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users