• Quick Navigation
Photo

Packaging supplier only stores and distributes - how best to approve?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic
- - - - -

aps

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 166 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:27 PM

Please can you help

I have noticed we have packaging supplied by a company who is just a store the product. This factory is not BRC or ISO certified. The packaging however is produced by another company who is.....

What do i need to do for supplier approval.....

Do i need to visit the company who stores the product. And do they need to send the manufacturing company a copy of our supplier approval audit.

Thanks for your help

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:01 AM

There is a BRC standard just for storage and distribution. Ideally I'd ask for that. If they don't have it and you want to continue using them, then I would audit and see what their controls are on the supplying sites along with control of integrity and pest control in their storage. I think those would be my main concerns.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:36 AM

Dear aps,

What do i need to do for supplier approval.....

Out of curiosity, i presume you do control the packaging at your own reception. So presumably you hv some idea of the various typical hazards potentially involved post manufacturing. ? These are hopefully few for a professional intermediary storage / distribution stage.

As an ancillary to requesting an actual audited documentation from the storage point itself, I imagine yr obtaining a copy of the BRC storage standard would be an effective route to self-informing of the "supplier approval" factors required at this step.

Assuming that this "middleman" is essentially just acting as being a holding-point for goods in-transit, the most likely risks will be GHP / GMP related, probably similar to yr own storage location (eg as illustrated in "PAS220").

It is typically a prerequisite function to not be routinely receiving/using packaging without prior approval of the supplier(s). However i have to admit that lack of knowledge of the exact chain whereby packaging is ultimately delivered is IMEX not rare. :smile:

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Adam Edkins

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:15 AM

Hi, The company i work for stores and distributes products intended for direct food contact.

Our customers are BRC / IoP accredited and supply major retailers and want to maintain a BRC chain.

We have had to look into the BRC standard for storage and distribution to ensure that our customers are satisfied that we have adequate controls in place to minimise any possible risk to the product whilst in our possesion.

Whilst we do not have this accreditation yet it would be the responsibility of the person receiving the goods to ensure they satisfy themselves with our procedures, posibly via an audit of our site.

Ideally you would want all of your suppliers to be accredited to a GFSI approved standard as it tends to make life a little easier.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users