• Quick Navigation
Photo

What to do with Cardboard Boxes if they fall on the floor?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic
- - - - -

Pizza&Sandwich

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 113 posts
  • 15 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:24 PM

Need some opinions to settle a heated discussion.

We make products that are wrapped in either a shrink film, or greaseless paper, then they are placed into cardboard boxes labeled, sealed, dated.

My question for you all: If a cardboard box falls onto the floor, is it trashed or used because cardboard in general is dirty and not food grade? Or is it situation specific? Like if it is visually dirty or wet?

All comments appreciated.

StuartMarriott

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 13 posts
  • 14 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:55 AM

Hi Lacey

From a Food Safety Risk point of view; you may argue that there is no greater risk to the final consumer from the box having come into contact with the floor, than not.
(this presumes no visible debris is on the box after contact with the floor! and it hasn't become wet) Especially as cardboard outer packaging is not usually manufactured, wrapped, handled and delivered under the same food safety risk management systems that a food producer / processor would have.

From a best practise point of view however; floor contact should render any item as unusable. You should have adequate systems in place to ensure there is no reason fo boxes to have floor contact.

If boxes 'fall' onto the floor, your method for storing them may need some attention!

Stuart

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,894 posts
  • 729 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:38 PM

Pick it up.

My rule has always been that primary packaging gets thrown away (whether it's been used, i.e. is wrapped around a product or not) but secondary packaging I would use unless obviously contaminated. What do you think happens in supermarkets?

Adam Edkins

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:59 AM

As above posts, if you have adequate cleaning and maintainance programmes in place then the floor in the packing area should be pretty clean (No obvious dirt / spillages).

HACCP risk assessment would probably show that the likelihood of this happening could be high whereas the severity of illness would be extremely low, therefore the risk would be minimal. If your risk assessment shows that this is a common occurance then i would suggest identifying the main cause and updating or implementing procedures to reduce the possibility of it happening, in turn reducing the risk further.

As long as the food contact product is sealed before being placed in the cardboard box then i see no reason why you shouldnt use it following a quick visual inspection to ensure there are no obvious signs of contamination.

Hope this helps

kajumom

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 11 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 30 May 2012 - 02:15 PM

This is what the SQF Version 7 standard says about field packaging materials touching the soil:

7.4.1.3 Packaging materials shall be appropriate for their intended used and stored in a manner that prevents
contamination. A written policy shall be in place that identifies how packing materials are permitted in direct
contact with soil.
7.4.1.4 Materials that come in contact with the produce shall be clean and in good repair.

Does this mean that packaging materials can touch the ground - does that mean that harvest containers can touch the ground?

This is a bit confusing.

Would appreciate anyone's advice!

Thank you!

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users