• Quick Navigation
Photo

Does HACCP training need to be conducted by a 3rd party?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic
- - - - -

Adam Edkins

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:41 PM

Does the HACCP training of staff need to be conducted by a 3rd party?

If so, once you have a trained person within the business can they then train other members on HACCP?

shea quay

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 180 posts
  • 92 thanks
Excellent

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:59 PM

Depends on who you are training. For training of HACCP team I think you require FETAC Level 6 training (along with the train the trainer I presume). For general staff, a "competant" trainer seems to veer from anything from a degree to one who has watched a you-tube clip (OK, don't think the you tube clip would suffice, but the point is it varies). I had an auditor tell me my last HACCP training (2007) was too long ago, and I should go for retraining as HACCP is always evolving. "Not here, it isn't!" I quipped, and we all laughed.

Thanked by 1 Member:
D-D

Rosemary4

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 138 posts
  • 44 thanks
Good

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:10 AM

I did the Level 3 HACCP course last year and then took elements out of it to train the team - giving them a handout too. That satisfied our BRC auditor in December.

Before that I had had no formal HACCP training but had led the team for 3 years. The external auditor decided I was competent because I had worked in quality management for several years, so it was never an issue. I had never worked with any BRC standards before so was thrown in at the deep end! To me alot of it is common sense.

D-D

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 239 posts
  • 55 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:35 PM

I think the HACCP team should be level 3 and the leader ideally level 4. The leader typically trains the operators or whoever else is involved in monitoring CCPs and other controls.

You would need an external trainer if the leader/team have no formal training. If you do need one, send me a message and I can recommend a great one in the UK.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users