S Maddux

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 40 posts
  • 13 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Hiking, Cycling, making beer and drinking good beer, family, friends and making every day count. "Good leadership isn't about advancing yourself. It's about advancing your team" -John C Maxwell

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:01 PM

So here we go. I have attached a drawing of an idea for a high risk changing room. I would like for anyone to look at it and let me know if this will work. Please remember this is not to scale but I hope you will get the idea. I do have two questions;
1. This room is very high, around 20 feet high. as you can see there are stairs going to the upstairs break/lunch room so the ceiling is that high. My question is this, Wall "A" marked in yellow would have to be put in place. Does the high risk changing room have to be an inclosed area or can I build a 6-7 foot wall and have no ceiling. On the other side of this wall is where all the team members enter the building and exit the building.
2. The other Yellow marked area is the low level barrier which devides the low risk shoe stalls from the high risk boot stalls. does this barrier need to go all the way to the ground ? We only have one drain in the room (over by the hand sink) and if this barrier must go to the ground we will need to install ($$$$$$) another drain for the low risk area.

I do have one other issue. Our team members will wash their boots, walk down, take off their boots and put them in the boot stalls. The issue is how do we have team member entering the high risk changing room, in their socks, cross the low level barrier and not get their socks wet form the wet boots. Does any one have any idea's. I have looked for examples (pictures) of a high risk changing room (not drawings) to show on engineering department but have not be successful.
And last but not least. I have the Team members sanitizing their hand before they put on their boots, then they put on their hair and beard net and smock than wash their hands and put on gloves. Do they need to wash (soap and water) their hands before they put on their smocks (we call production coats smocks). I truly appreciate all the help.

Attached Files

Thanked by 1 Member:

trubertq

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 658 posts
  • 281 thanks
Excellent

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 07 June 2012 - 12:52 PM

Hi S,

Here are my thoughts:

1. I don't think you need a full height wall providing you have positive air pressure in the High Risk production area which will prevent air from low risk getting in there.

2. I do think your barrier needs to go to the floor, as I would concerned about water flowing from low risk towards high risk area.

3. The issue with the wet socks is one we have too and i am suggesting using the mats they use in swimming pool changing rooms, with the holes in 'em.

4. I have been to 2 BRC courses recently and on both we were advised that when BRC mention hand cleaning, they mean washing not sanitising therefore the workers need to WASH their hands before putting in their smocks.

I am open to correction on all of the above points and fully expect to be.......

:whistle:

I'm entitled to my opinion, even a stopped clock is right twice a day

Thanked by 1 Member:

shea quay

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 180 posts
  • 92 thanks
Excellent

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:00 PM

Have you considered doubling up the low level barrier as a boot rack? i.e. place outdoor shoes in compartments on the low risk side of the barrier and work shoes on the high care side? Just leave a six inch gap from the floor to prevent splash contamination. It would have the added advantage of widening the barrier to prevent the more flexible of employees from "popping" out to get something from their coats without going through the changing procedure. I would push Wall A down below the drain for the reasons outlined by trubertq. Whilst this would decrease the surface area of the room, space would be freed up by the tidier storage of work boots. Also, whilst there is no need to have wall A reaching the ceiling, EVERY auditor you will EVER have will run their hands over the ledge and find something there IMEX.

There is, of course, the Batcave option - Batpoles with each employee's name attached that could only be accessed by pressing a hidden button in the bust of Shakespeare. What is your approximate budget?

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 07 June 2012 - 09:31 PM

Dear S.Maddux,

I guess this is an extension of yr previous thread/discussion -
http://www.ifsqn.com...dpost__p__51350

Accordingly, you might find some of the BRC content in this recent attachment of interest, eg 4.3.5 - 4.8.5 -
http://www.ifsqn.com...dpost__p__54406

Out of curiosity, Product = ? type of process = ? (maybe i missed it somewhere)

I did try to study yr picture but got an over-twisted neck. Sorry.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

S Maddux

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 40 posts
  • 13 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Hiking, Cycling, making beer and drinking good beer, family, friends and making every day count. "Good leadership isn't about advancing yourself. It's about advancing your team" -John C Maxwell

Posted 07 June 2012 - 11:42 PM

Thank you all for the information. Charles.C thanks for the links and I appologize for the map.
I work for a Meat Processing company. We purchase raw (fresh and frozen) beef, poultry, pork and lamb and cook it any way our customer wants it, and I mean any way. Thanks again for all the information. The more I get the better off I will be. I will also work on my maps in the future.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users