Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,880 posts
  • 729 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:18 PM

So after... years in food. I've finally gone for it and I'm an interim in food safety management, auditing, training and consultancy. My limited company was registered yesterday.

Any top tips from the seasoned old guard on this kind of thing?

Feels a bit scary. Posted Image

Philip @ Safefood 360°

Philip @ Safefood 360

• Corporate Sponsor
  • 105 posts
  • 35 thanks
Good

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:34 PM

Hi GMO,

Congratulations. I remember the day (12 years ago) when I registered my first limited company and started my first real business. I thought ‘this is it’ it’s all downhill from here to my early retirement. My naivety can be excused for my youth at the time, I had just turned 20. :rolleyes:

I’m curious; as you are calling yourself an Interim would you expect that you will work with a number of companies at a time fulfilling that role? Or is it more typical for an Interim to work with one company only to bring them up to GFSI certification for example, and then move on to the next?

P.

Thanked by 1 Member:
GMO

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:07 AM

So after... years in food. I've finally gone for it and I'm an interim in food safety management, auditing, training and consultancy. My limited company was registered yesterday.

Any top tips from the seasoned old guard on this kind of thing?

Feels a bit scary. Posted Image

Dear GMO,

One thing I am pretty sure of is that yr knowledge base will not be found lacking. :thumbup:

Good luck.

Rgds / Charles.C

PS for non-executive people like myself who are unfamiliar with "interim", can try http://en.wikipedia....erim_management

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:
GMO

cesspadilla

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 38 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:28 AM

I agree with Charles C. Your years of knowledge and experience with Food will not be found lacking. Thanks to Charles C for the info about interim. I, too, is not familiar with the word.

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,880 posts
  • 729 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 01 September 2012 - 11:57 AM

Hi GMO,

Congratulations. I remember the day (12 years ago) when I registered my first limited company and started my first real business. I thought ‘this is it’ it’s all downhill from here to my early retirement. My naivety can be excused for my youth at the time, I had just turned 20. :rolleyes:

I’m curious; as you are calling yourself an Interim would you expect that you will work with a number of companies at a time fulfilling that role? Or is it more typical for an Interim to work with one company only to bring them up to GFSI certification for example, and then move on to the next?

P.

It could be either. I'm coming to the end of a 3-4 week contract at the moment and I've been offered a half a day a week role ongoing which would be great if I could get a few days elsewhere but they're not on the radar right now so I think it will mostly be working for one customer then moving on but there might be options for the latter.

I'm setting out with a pretty broad remit which also includes food writing (I'm a food blogger too in the very small amount of free time I get!)

Scary times but cool. Get in touch with me if you're looking for some Techie support in the UK midlands!

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 01 September 2012 - 01:26 PM

Hi GMO, great to hear you're going it alone. I'm sure you'll do a great job for anyone you work for - it's clear you know the subject inside out as demonstrated by your contributions on here along with years of practical experience in the demanding UK retail supply chain. I wish you all the very best.

As a matter of interest how/where are you promoting yourself in order to get work?

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Ian R

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 122 posts
  • 40 thanks
Good

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:19 PM

HI good luck

Going solo is a big jump as you will spend the first few years worried where the next job is coming from! ....don't things just come along.

But remember you are only as good as your last job so ensure everyone of your customers gets 110% what ever size they are or length of contract or work is required

i have seen a lot of "consultants" work when I was auditing and made comments good and bad to the company with regard to the standard of work that they had paid for!, so remember there are always someone judging and looking at the standard of work.

You will work harder and longer hours than you did when you were in a "normal" job, you will find it hard to take time off for holidays , bank holidays etc as you will find that one of your customers will be in need of you for something and you don't get holiday pay!

However saying all this it is great, being your own boss and running your own business.

P.S. I would have gone for a LLP rather than a limited company if you are a single person or partnership same benefits less paperwork

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,880 posts
  • 729 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 10 September 2012 - 02:53 PM

Hi GMO, great to hear you're going it alone. I'm sure you'll do a great job for anyone you work for - it's clear you know the subject inside out as demonstrated by your contributions on here along with years of practical experience in the demanding UK retail supply chain. I wish you all the very best.

As a matter of interest how/where are you promoting yourself in order to get work?

Regards,
Simon

Thanks for the vote of support. I'm starting with people I know it seemed a sensible place!

Martinblue

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 141 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:43 PM

good luck GMO.

You always been very helpful.

regards