• IFSQN Associate
  • 16 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 27 August 2012 - 08:58 PM

Hi All,

I received HACCP training about 15 years ago, and have kept current through reviewing FDA and Codex documents. Is the training I had before going to be sufficient to meet the requirements for GFSI audits?

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:50 AM

Hi All,

I received HACCP training about 15 years ago, and have kept current through reviewing FDA and Codex documents. Is the training I had before going to be sufficient to meet the requirements for GFSI audits?

Dear vkh,

"GFSI" can mean many things with not always the same answer.

Are you referring to BRC or IFS or SQF or ?

A little info. re yr product(s) / process might generate more directly relevant comments also. :smile:

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

vkh

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 16 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 29 August 2012 - 12:13 PM

We are likely going SQF, I guess I assumed they would all pretty much have the same requirements regarding HACCP Training. We are a popcorn plant, we make microwave and ready to eat popcorn.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:15 PM

Dear vkh,

Thks yr clarification. RTE product lifts the risk ranking level up of course. :smile:

As you probably realise, it’s a bit difficult to speculate without knowing yr degree of up-to-datedness.

Not myself a SQF user but I’m pretty sure all BRC, IFS and SQF standards hv substantially changed in recent years in certain HACCP aspects. They AFAIK still fall back on the traditional Codex document ca 2003 but hv added their own expansions here and there to certain issues. For example, the addition of risk assessment to periphery features has become somewhat of a boom topic (and in some cases a boom nuisance). Similarly validation/verification issues are more prominent IMO. In many cases, the changes have presumably been customer-driven (eg brand protection) and also in relation to tech.advances.

Personally I suggest the quickest way to get an idea of yr situation is to simply download the current standard ( I think all of IFS, BRC, SQF are freely available at their official websites, at a minimum for the auditable content). This may well rapidly promote yr putting some further queries to this forum. Or (in a good way) maybe not. :smile:

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

vkh

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 16 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 30 August 2012 - 07:10 PM

Thanks Charles,

I think the downloading and reading them all is what has me befuddled! I have been reading BRC, SQF and IFS pretty thoroughly for the last year or so! anyway,

SQF states: "2.1.2.5 The SQF Practitioner shall: iii. Have completed a HACCP Training course and iv. Be competent to implement and maintain HACCP Based food safety plands and food quality plans;"

BRC states (v5) "2.1.2. The HACCP food safety team shall have a designated and qualified team leader who shall be able to demonstrate competence in HACCP." The implementation guide goes a little further " The HACCP food safety team leeader shall be able to demonstrate competency in HACCP (through the quality of the plan) and be qualified in HACCP prinicples. Documented evidence of their qualifcation needs to be given, e.g. through sucessful completetion of an industry-recognised HACCP Training course."

and IFS says: "2.2.2.2 Those responsible for the development and maintenance of the HACCP system shall have an internal team leader and
shall have received adequate training in the application of the HACCP principles."

The training course, as I mentioned initially was about 15 or 16 years ago, in the poultry industry. I guess, it is going to all come down to the auditor and what his or her opinion is. As long as the HACCP plan covers everything as it shoud, and documentation and employee practice is in line, I would hope that would be sufficient to show that I am compentent to lead the group!

Then, reading about all the levels of HACCP training on this forum had me a little concerned! Any auditors out there that can put their 2 cents worth in? Thanks! :bye:

Edited by vkh, 30 August 2012 - 07:13 PM.

jerry318

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:41 PM

I guess, it is going to all come down to the auditor and what his or her opinion is. As long as the HACCP plan covers everything as it shoud, and documentation and employee practice is in line, I would hope that would be sufficient to show that I am compentent to lead the group!

I think you hit the nail on the head with this statement. If your plan is solid then it will demonstrate good knowledge on HACCP. If there are multiple findings with the HACCP plan, it would lead the auditor to investigate qualifications IMO.

I guess it comes down to how confident you are with the plan prior to going for certification. A gap assessment may prove beneficial if any serious doubts exist.

Thanked by 1 Member:
vkh

Food Lady

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:HACCP, BRC
    Quality Assurance
    Record Creation

Posted 05 September 2012 - 10:26 PM

I think you hit the nail on the head with this statement. If your plan is solid then it will demonstrate good knowledge on HACCP. If there are multiple findings with the HACCP plan, it would lead the auditor to investigate qualifications IMO.

I guess it comes down to how confident you are with the plan prior to going for certification. A gap assessment may prove beneficial if any serious doubts exist.

I have taken BRC Auditing Course and SQF Implementation Course and in both standards was told that to be able to show training by certificates (anything with your name on them as they relate to HACCP)

Another thing i would like to add is i was also told that attending a course on either of the above schemes would show adequate training and is almost a requirement for the company representative...dont agree with it 100% but did make understanding the standards a whole lot easier and made the questions make sense because they explain what to do in order to comply with the question fully

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users