Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 November 2012 - 05:53 PM

I have a few questions, I've worked at a few restaurants and never had a problem but now my manager is complaining to me about a few things, i want to clear things up and do what is sanity and proper.
necessary to always wear gloves? I wash my hands after touching any raw food or every 15minutes for 20 seconds whatever comes first. i don't normally wear gloves, i feel gloves actually containment more than bare hands.
use tongs before putting food in a fryer? my current manager won't stop bugging me about touch food before i put in the fryer, i try to explain at 350 degree it kills all bacteria ..
leaving cooked food at room temperature during business hours? - i don't agree with this, but it says out for 12hours a day, and when its not used additional hours the next business day.
what should the internal temperature be for chicken, pork, and beef.
what is an example of wrongful termination? i called out of work one time, never no called no show. and I under cooked food several times due to the restaurant equipment not properly working (turns off without notice). my state is a "at will state". but i heard there are a few exceptions .

any links to prove would be preferred i want to print a letter and give it to her so she knows I'm not just trying to half-ass things. this is her first time owning a restaurant and i've worked in the restaurant industry for 7 years. just want to get exact facts thanks.!

retep

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 22 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 November 2012 - 06:58 PM

After being in a kitchen for almost 14 years, You see alot of things. In my personal opinion and this is from a practical point of view things I would be more concerned with than the wearing of gloves is :

Handwashing

Changing Cutting boards when switching product

Improper handwashing technique

When employees are wshing their hands

Cleanliness of the person washing dishes

Trash contamination to other product

Time/temperature abuse

Wearing gloves is a concern but I would be more concerned with the frequency at which they are changed. If they are not changed between working with say meat to cutting vegetables, there is really no use in wearing gloves. Food needs to kept on a steam table or holding drawer at a minimum temp of 145f. Chicken must be cooked to 165. Just look all this up in your local county or states health code.

Oh I forgot those "Sanitizer buckets" and the frequency at which the water is changed. Those things are just a cesspool otherwise.

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:16 PM

I agree with Retep:

Gloves are not a substitute for hand cleanliness. Someone who washes their hands a lot and does not wear gloves is more sanitary than someone who wears gloves for an extended amount of time and does not change them when they become soiled. For gloves to be a better option they must be changed frequently.

Cooking food and leaving it out for 12 hours isn't a very good safe food practice. Bacteria will grow in the cooked food when left out. The idea behind proper practice is to keep hot foods hot and cold foods cold. But when you cook something and then leave it out it doesn't stay hot it cools down and that is unsafe.\

However like retep said... you work in a kitchen and they are not known for excellent food safety practices all of the time.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mr. Incognito

:tardis:

Mr. Incognito is a cool frood who can travel the width and breadth of the galaxy and still know where his towel is.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 03 November 2012 - 04:21 AM

Dear krenken,

With respect to safety aspects and since you appear to be working in USA, I suggest you read up on US Food Code which is the permanent reference for restaurants in USA AFAIK although i suppose individual states may have variations.

I think you will find a lot of content on gloves. just google US Food Code, probably first link.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users