Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 167 posts
  • 25 thanks
Good

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:Sports of course.
    Food safety for all things eaten not just what we make.
    Being able to see my kids grow up in healthy environment.

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:49 PM

To reduce the use of fresh water in our facility we have recently added a system to recyle some water. This water is put through a clarifier and a centrifuge to remove excess dirt and mud. We use this water on incoming raw vegatables to basically rinse the product to clean aas best as possible. The product is still considered at the recyled water use stage as raw material. A potential hazard of course is now pathogen contamination from the use of recycled water. We do have a system in place that will drain off @ 15% of the water during the cycle and add fresh to sustain. To control the issue I have stated the cook stage of the process to kill any pathogens, would this be a correct assumption? We do no water testing at this point because we know that there will be pathogens in the water as it is dirty.

Any other ideas on how we could control?

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:50 AM

To reduce the use of fresh water in our facility we have recently added a system to recyle some water. This water is put through a clarifier and a centrifuge to remove excess dirt and mud. We use this water on incoming raw vegatables to basically rinse the product to clean aas best as possible. The product is still considered at the recyled water use stage as raw material. A potential hazard of course is now pathogen contamination from the use of recycled water. We do have a system in place that will drain off @ 15% of the water during the cycle and add fresh to sustain. To control the issue I have stated the cook stage of the process to kill any pathogens, would this be a correct assumption? We do no water testing at this point because we know that there will be pathogens in the water as it is dirty.

Any other ideas on how we could control?

Dear JimE,

I’m not familiar with relevant Canadian food legislation, if any, but based on the info. given I fear that your current procedure is contrary to typical FS systems and may well be prohibited.

For example, here is one set of (Australian) basic rules relating to reuse of water –

Attached File  NSW water-reuse-guidelines.pdf   144.59KB   51 downloads

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

bibi

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 119 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:09 AM

Dear JimE,

I’m not familiar with relevant Canadian food legislation, if any, but based on the info. given I fear that your current procedure is contrary to typical FS systems and may well be prohibited.

For example, here is one set of (Australian) basic rules relating to reuse of water –

Attached File  NSW water-reuse-guidelines.pdf   144.59KB   51 downloads

Rgds / Charles.C

hi

try

Guidelines on the reuse of potable water for food processing operations 2012
Book G70 ISBN 978-0-907503-73-6 from campden.co.uk
bibi

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks