Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 167 posts
  • 25 thanks
Good

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:Sports of course.
    Food safety for all things eaten not just what we make.
    Being able to see my kids grow up in healthy environment.

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:18 PM

Not sure how different countries HACCP prerequisites are set up but............

In Canada we have a prerequisite D 1.2.1 that requires that we list all employee positions that require technical training. Recent government inspection brought this up to me but did not elaborate on who should be on the list. So I ask my fellow network cohorts what they would list.

Currently I have on my list the HACCP Coordinator (me), any personnel that work with CCP's, maintenance, electrical and steam personnel.

Anyone that requires a license/certification/or skills training. But how far do you go?

Advice will be appreiciated

Jim

Edited by Jim E., 03 January 2013 - 11:20 PM.

George @ Safefood 360°

Grade - SIFSQN

• Corporate Sponsor
  • 374 posts
  • 327 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:10 PM

This appears to fall under the general PRP for training. If we take the GFSI for example you are required have in place a training plan. This is a list of employees vs the training to be conducted including title, target date etc. This is based on a training needs assessment for each employee (or employee position) and IMO is ultimately based on a risk assessment of the position in terms of food safety.

Certain positions are by definition higher risk than others. So, at a very basic level I would include in your list any job or role that if there was a failure to conduct the job to a sufficient standard or to follow a given procedure is would reasonably lead to a food safety issue e.g.

1. HACCP team members
2. Product recall . crisis management team
3. CCP monitors
4. Direct food handlers
5. Staff responsible for cleaning
6. Inspection / laboratory staff

The list can go on but i would suggest your criteria for inclusion be where failure to perform the job may 'reasonably lead to a food safety issue'

George.

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,224 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:22 AM

Not sure how different countries HACCP prerequisites are set up but............

In Canada we have a prerequisite D 1.2.1 that requires that we list all employee positions that require technical training. Recent government inspection brought this up to me but did not elaborate on who should be on the list. So I ask my fellow network cohorts what they would list.

Currently I have on my list the HACCP Coordinator (me), any personnel that work with CCP's, maintenance, electrical and steam personnel.

Anyone that requires a license/certification/or skills training. But how far do you go?

Advice will be appreiciated

Jim

Hi Jim,

From CFIA Food Safety Enhancement Program Manual D.1.2 Technical Training Requirements
D.1.2.1 The establishment has and implements a documented Technical Training Program which includes but is not limited to:

The prerequisite programs - 7 prerequisite programs are prescribed:
A Premises (see section 3.1.1.1)
B Transportation, Purchasing/Receiving/Shipping and Storage (see section 3.1.1.2)
C Equipment (see section 3.1.1.3)
D Personnel (see section 3.1.1.4)
E Sanitation and Pest Control (see section 3.1.1.5)
F Recall (see section 3.1.1.6)
G Operational Prerequisite Programs (see 3.1.1.7)
Allergens, Nutrients, Food Additives and Processing Aids

The CCP(s), if applicable;

The process control(s), if applicable;

Any additional external technical training that is necessary to ensure current knowledge of equipment and process technology (e.g., licenses/certification required to operate equipment - pasteurizer operator's certification / retort operator's certification);

A list of employee positions who must receive the training - Designated employees involved in the delivery of procedures developed in response to the prerequisite programs requirements, CCPs, and process controls

So your list should be based on staff who deliver controls related to your prerequisite programs, CCPs, and process controls (George has given some examples, I would add Maintenance staff plus as you have indicated there is a requirement for at least one member of the HACCP Team to be knowledgeable/trained)

Kind regards,

Tony

Edited by Tony-C, 13 January 2013 - 04:28 AM.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:22 AM

Dear Tony/All,

It might be equally interesting to specify who is/are not required to be listed ?

(1) Restaurant Staff unless an internal location.
(2) Office Staff, exception those involved with Purchasing/../..etc. And depending on access route to Offices perhaps.
(3) ?

Rgds / Charles.C

PS The listed PRP "Operational Prerequisite Programs" looks promising. :smile:

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users