Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 22 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:12 PM

i am in the seafood distrobution industry .. I Need some ideas on how to properly include allergens on the HACCP forms ..

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:23 PM

Well you can have an allergen control plan that lists what allergens exist in your food/ingredients by product, how to keep them separated from other products to prevent cross contamination, how the lines are to be cleaned to ensure that it is adequately removed, and a testing procedure to ensure that the line is properly clean and none of the allergenic proteins are left behind.

Forms you may need:
Allergen Free Cleaning Form/check off (or something like that to explain what needs to be cleaned and how)
Allergen testing form (For quality to verify no more allergens present)

Is that what you were looking for?

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mr. Incognito

:tardis:

Mr. Incognito is a cool frood who can travel the width and breadth of the galaxy and still know where his towel is.

Thanked by 3 Members:

azaam nafiz

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 55 posts
  • 56 thanks
Neutral

• Sri Lanka
    Sri Lanka

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:46 AM

Agree with MerleW, :thumbup: Better declare a allergen policy too....

attached are for further reading :thumbdown:

i am in the seafood distrobution industry .. I Need some ideas on how to properly include allergens on the HACCP forms ..

Attached Files

Thanked by 2 Members:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:38 AM

i am in the seafood distrobution industry .. I Need some ideas on how to properly include allergens on the HACCP forms .

Dear pices,

As an addendum to previous posts -

Yr above query is a little vague, do you mean you want to know how to document yr "allergens" in the hazard analysis.

Do you already know what yr allergens are, eg seafood raw material, seafood coatings (eg breading, battering), other ingredients, cross-contamination from other production lines ?

Typically, some info. on my second query is necessary before proceeding with the first. :smile:

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

George @ Safefood 360°

Grade - SIFSQN

• Corporate Sponsor
  • 374 posts
  • 326 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:34 PM

Are you also seeking to know how to develop labels which declare the presence of allergens?

George

pices

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 22 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:58 PM

Well you can have an allergen control plan that lists what allergens exist in your food/ingredients by product, how to keep them separated from other products to prevent cross contamination, how the lines are to be cleaned to ensure that it is adequately removed, and a testing procedure to ensure that the line is properly clean and none of the allergenic proteins are left behind.

Forms you may need:
Allergen Free Cleaning Form/check off (or something like that to explain what needs to be cleaned and how)
Allergen testing form (For quality to verify no more allergens present)

Is that what you were looking for?

Well the USDC was here in our facility and she states HACCP plan does notaddress the hazards of finfish or shellfish....processors must now address finfish and molluscan shellfish as a hazzard under allergens in the hazzard analysis and HACCP plan

pices

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 22 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:14 PM

Are you also seeking to know how to develop labels which declare the presence of allergens?

George

Yes

pices

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 22 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:17 PM

Dear pices,

As an addendum to previous posts -

Yr above query is a little vague, do you mean you want to know how to document yr "allergens" in the hazard analysis.

Do you already know what yr allergens are, eg seafood raw material, seafood coatings (eg breading, battering), other ingredients, cross-contamination from other production lines ?

Typically, some info. on my second query is necessary before proceeding with the first. :smile:

Rgds / Charles.C

i need a lil help in where i am to add the allergens of finfish and molluscan shelfish in my hazzard analysis and HACCP plan for each

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:55 AM

Dear pices,

Thks for reply. I am happy to let George answer/expand the labelling, especially if my part below is "incomplete" :smile: .

I am not myself involved with export to USA however the current legislatory information you require appears to be contained in 2 primary references linked below. If any other posters are directly active for this query, please do not hesitate to correct the info. below if necessary, or expand if useful.
(One HACCP control aspect is still unclear to me for US purposes, see NOTE at end)

http://www.fda.gov/f...n/ucm106187.htm

http://www.fda.gov/F...n/ucm059116.htm
(specifically see questions 5, 23 and 26) (Note that molluscan shellfish are excluded).

Both above links are stated to have been last updated in 2012.

Regarding HACCP plan layout, the requirements are detailed in the Fish/Fishery products guide (FFPG) 2011 (latest edition AFAIK), particularly ch.19.

Attached File  fish-fishery products hazards control guidance 2011 - UCM251970 04242012.pdf   4.34MB   49 downloads

I’m not aware if any specific format is required for USA but the typical presentation would be to declare/specify allergens in the hazard list as a significant hazard in respective named “raw materials” and list the control measure as (the cross-referenced later step of) labelling which would then become the operative CCP for the hazard.
[ If you would like to see one example of possible allergen / haz.analysis layout involving milk raw material (allergen source) in yogurt manufacture (originally for ISO 22000; the control measure text would be similar but “PAS220” replaced by cross-reference to labelling step-CCP), can see the excel sheet in this post –
http://www.ifsqn.com...dpost__p__50651 ]

The basic labelling requirements are discussed in above links and FFPG-Ch19 (pg 355-56).
The typical types of available control stategies for Allergen-Food Intolerant Additives are summarised on pg366. It seems to me that last entry in table is probably most appropriate to yr post and a detailed example of handling of this (for various typical "ingredients") within the HACCP – CCP format is in Table 19.9 (pg 382).

NOTE – I am not sure whether you are also obliged to check incoming raw materials for correct supplier allergen labelling as part of yr own control strategy. It maybe depends on incoming presentation, eg whether in bulk or any pre-processing.

Hope this is helpful and not too many errors.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users