Foreign body hazards represent one of the most significant risks associated with the production and distribution of food products. Among these, glass and hard plastic are the most significant given their wide spread use in food production equipment, environments and utensils. In order to mitigate against product contamination the food site must have in place effective procedures to eliminate or reduce so far as practically possible the likely occurrence of these hazards. In addition the food plant should have in place a full risk assessment and clear policy for the control of glass and hard plastic.
Standards such as the BRC have prescriptive requirements for glass and plastic which include:
- Glass and hard plastic policy
- Glass and hard plastic risk assessment
- Glass and hard plastic control procedure
- New equipment assessment and risk reduction
- Glass and hard plastic register
- Glass and hard plastic audit program
- Glass and hard plastic breakage procedure
To comply with these requirements, food businesses must adopt a structured approach to the development of their glass and brittle plastic control system.
How does Safefood 360 Meet These Requirements?
The requirements set out above and contained in the various standards describe a typical management system whereby you define:
- What items need to be controlled (register)
- How often you audit the item (risk assessment)
- How checking of items is conducted (audit and procedure)
- Record of audits
- Records of actions taken
- When breakages occur how are they handled.
Safefood 360’s Glass and Plastic Control module provides a structured platform to meet requirements. You can:
- Quickly set up your program and develop your register
- Record all glass and plastic audits
- View your glass and plastic plan which is automatically created and maintained in real time
- View all upcoming and overdue glass and plastic audits
- Receive notification of audits due
- Generate breakage reports and record all actions taken
- Generate your glass and plastic reports with one click
- Update your programs quickly