Grade - AIFSQN

• 38 posts
  • 20 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Banjo, Scottish Pipes, Earth Science, Family, SQF Consultant

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:24 PM

Anyone out there testing for radioactive residues on food as part of your hazard analysis? Example ; Say your purchase potatoes, or Milk form the nearby Hanford Nuclear Government Storage Facility in South Eastern Washington USA. Risk is low,… but there might be that auditor that asks the question,…. have you tested? Have you researched or performed the necessary testing to prove it is not a risk? Show me the documentation please. Hey really nobody has asked , but we do have milk producers’ from that area, your thoughts
( I'm not talking about irradiation on processed foods) Thats a differnt subject.

Jeff

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:56 AM

Anyone out there testing for radioactive residues on food as part of your hazard analysis? Example ; Say your purchase potatoes, or Milk form the nearby Hanford Nuclear Government Storage Facility in South Eastern Washington USA. Risk is low,… but there might be that auditor that asks the question,…. have you tested? Have you researched or performed the necessary testing to prove it is not a risk? Show me the documentation please. Hey really nobody has asked , but we do have milk producers’ from that area, your thoughts
( I'm not talking about irradiation on processed foods) Thats a differnt subject.

Jeff

Dear Oldairyman,

Not sure if this thread (indirectly) relevant yr query or not ?

http://www.ifsqn.com...dpost__p__60063

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

DP2006

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 65 posts
  • 21 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:00 AM

Jeff

Jeff,

I previously worked for a market leading global food corporation on the food ingredients development and supplier quality assurance part of the business.

When there were "incidents" like Chernoybyl, they tested product from areas where there was a recognized risk of radionuclide contamination and this continued for a number of years after the incident.

In terms of on-going monitoring this was not done routinely.

Whilst this won't necessarily be specific to a facility or surrounding area, unless there has been a nuclear "incident", are there any "official" monitoring results that you could look at?

In the UK, for example the Food Standards Agency publishes surveys like the one in the link Summary of Radioactivity in Food and the Environment 2004-2008.

Are there any governmental departments eg FDA, FSIS etc in the US that might provide any relevant background information that you could use?

Not sure if this helps!

DP2006

HanfordSite

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:34 PM

Jeff,

I previously worked for a market leading global food corporation on the food ingredients development and supplier quality assurance part of the business.

When there were "incidents" like Chernoybyl, they tested product from areas where there was a recognized risk of radionuclide contamination and this continued for a number of years after the incident.

In terms of on-going monitoring this was not done routinely.

Whilst this won't necessarily be specific to a facility or surrounding area, unless there has been a nuclear "incident", are there any "official" monitoring results that you could look at?

In the UK, for example the Food Standards Agency publishes surveys like the one in the link Summary of Radioactivity in Food and the Environment 2004-2008.

Are there any governmental departments eg FDA, FSIS etc in the US that might provide any relevant background information that you could use?

Not sure if this helps!

DP2006

Official monitoring information is available. The Department of Energy has been monitoring the air, water, plants, and animals on the Hanford Site and in the surrounding region for decades and produces an annual environmental monitoring report posted at http://hanford-site.pnnl.gov/. The Washington State Department of Health takes split samples to verify the results are correct. See this Washington State Department of Ecology web page for more frequently asked questions and answers: http://www.ecy.wa.go...ams/nwp/faq.htm. Hope that helps.
Geoff Tyree
Department of Energy
Hanford Site
www.hanford.gov

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users