• IFSQN Principal
  • 658 posts
  • 281 thanks
Excellent

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:51 PM

Hi all,

This time tomorrow the BRC audit will be half over, and I may be half out of a job!

Those of you  who are religious, say a prayer, and the rest of you cross fingers and toes and anything else crossable.

I have done as much as I can. ( I am a contractor who manages the paperwork mostly).

I wonder are auditors like the Queen and think everywhere smells of paint!

I'm entitled to my opinion, even a stopped clock is right twice a day

HARPC

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 40 posts
  • 13 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:10 PM

Hey trubertq,

Good luck mate!  :beer: 

Regards,

Bill

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:17 AM

Good Luck

Caz x

trubertq

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 658 posts
  • 281 thanks
Excellent

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:04 AM

Got an A grade with 10 minors!! I am ecstatic, so ecstatic I slept all weekend!!!

Edited by trubertq, 27 May 2013 - 11:04 AM.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,836 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:20 AM

Well done, well done, have an extra day off this weekend. :smile:

What were the minors?

Regards,

Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

trubertq

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 658 posts
  • 281 thanks
Excellent

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:59 AM

1. We missed a packing step in one of the flow diagrams.. product is packed into trays at the grader and then sent to the blast chill to await flow freezing ( we have only 1 flow freezer and we use it fro cooked first and then raw with a clean down in between).

2. The security controls were not in place on the door to the new plant. This happened because we only moved into the plant in April and we had planned coded doors but the fire chief wouldn't allow it so time ran out.

3. Gap above a roller door. Fixed during the audit

4. EFK didn't have shatter proof bulbs. Pest Controller let us down

5. Green insulating tape spotted on a piece of kit!! Fixed during audit... how does one root cause that since no one seems to know who put it there and why.

6. Metal detector has stop belt but no lockable unit for rejected products ( 15 kg Cartons)

7. Metal detector record didn't identify between different products and although the test pieces are referenced on it, he required that they each had a box to show each had been tested.

8. Bait point was moved during painting ( the night before!)

9. The labelling requirements for countries outside the EU were not on site. We export to Asia , US and Canadia

10. Couple opf medical screening records didn't have proper dates on them. The people had put down the year of start of employment not the actual date.

Nothing that can't be fixed in a week or so...

By the way, the auditor advised me to move away from the 2 step decision tree for HACCP hazard analysis, not a non-conformance just an observation... what do you guys think? He was adamant that the 2 step is really only for catering establishments, rather than food processors... bloody nightmare having to do that whole thing again.

Oh Simon.... we don't have a bank holiday this weekend it's next weekend so I will thanks :happydance:

That's 3 lines certified two more to go..... then I'm retiring

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 27 May 2013 - 12:40 PM

Dear trubertq,

What is the 2-step decision tree ?

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

trubertq

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 658 posts
  • 281 thanks
Excellent

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:20 AM

This is the decision tree I was given on the HACCP course I did. I have found the 5 step and am inclined to agree that it is a more comprehensive decision tree... now I can make everything a CCP mwahahahahahahahahahah :happydance:

That's a joke ...by the way...

Attached Files

Edited by trubertq, 28 May 2013 - 11:38 AM.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:26 AM

This is the decision tree I was given on the HACCP course I did. I have found the 5 step and am inclined to agree that it is a more comprehensive decision tree... now I can make everything a CCP mwahahahahahahahahahah :happydance:

That's a joke ...by the way...

Dear trubertq,

OK by me but no surprise that auditors may prefer the more flamboyant Codex 2003 version (or others).

Looks equivalent to the ILSI 3-step tree (2004)..  I use a very similar method to yours (ex) but in tabular format.

I occasionally find this document quite useful as an “addendum”  to Codex 2003   although it’s getting a bit rusty these days. Attached File  mortimore (2001).pdf   30.66KB   92 downloads

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:19 PM

I use the CCFRA 5 step tree.

Caz xx

Well done on a good result

Thanked by 1 Member:

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,836 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 28 May 2013 - 03:51 PM

1. We missed a packing step in one of the flow diagrams.. product is packed into trays at the grader and then sent to the blast chill to await flow freezing ( we have only 1 flow freezer and we use it fro cooked first and then raw with a clean down in between).

2. The security controls were not in place on the door to the new plant. This happened because we only moved into the plant in April and we had planned coded doors but the fire chief wouldn't allow it so time ran out.

3. Gap above a roller door. Fixed during the audit

4. EFK didn't have shatter proof bulbs. Pest Controller let us down

5. Green insulating tape spotted on a piece of kit!! Fixed during audit... how does one root cause that since no one seems to know who put it there and why.

6. Metal detector has stop belt but no lockable unit for rejected products ( 15 kg Cartons)

7. Metal detector record didn't identify between different products and although the test pieces are referenced on it, he required that they each had a box to show each had been tested.

8. Bait point was moved during painting ( the night before!)

9. The labelling requirements for countries outside the EU were not on site. We export to Asia , US and Canadia

10. Couple opf medical screening records didn't have proper dates on them. The people had put down the year of start of employment not the actual date.

Re pest control they cost you two NC's (potentially).  BRC >10 NC's and you drop a grade and that could have been the difference..they should be getting the come in, sit down and let's have a coffee treatment.  On #5 have you got a temporary engineering procedure / log in place?

Don't take your foot off the pedal. :thumbup:

Cheers,

Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

trubertq

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 658 posts
  • 281 thanks
Excellent

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 01 June 2013 - 06:07 PM

Caz,

Would you share that with me please? I would much appreciate it, and I have used docs of your before and people like 'em.

Simon,

The Pest controller wasn't to blame for the bait point...the painters were, note for anyone preparing for an audit... don't be painting the day before!! Despite the fact that i had provided a full list of the structural work to be done on Feb 1st... the painters were in the day before the audit and moved the bait point .However he will be contacted regarding the bulbs cos that was just unforgivable.

I am looking forward to reading the root cause analysis for the green insulating tape as maintenance denies all knowledge.... we do have a temporary repair log but like everything I am not sure what percentage of temporary repairs go in it...then again I am consistently told there are NO temporary repairs carried out.

I think that being so close to the line has focused the minds of those whose depts are on that list.... They WILL be doing better next year... or sooner.... there are whispers of a TESCO audit!

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 04 June 2013 - 01:59 AM

Dear trubertq,

Re 1st query, maybe see this -

http://www.ifsqn.com...ing/#entry56969

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

MCIAN

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 100 posts
  • 41 thanks
Good

• Philippines
    Philippines
  • Interests:Law of attraction & Meditation

Posted 08 June 2013 - 01:35 AM

This is very helpful for me.

Thank you Trubertq, Charles and Simon.

:thumbup:

Edited by MCIAN, 08 June 2013 - 01:36 AM.

fstRicky

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 37 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

Posted 19 August 2013 - 01:19 AM

Dear trubertq,

OK by me but no surprise that auditors may prefer the more flamboyant Codex 2003 version (or others).

Looks equivalent to the ILSI 3-step tree (2004)..  I use a very similar method to yours (ex) but in tabular format.

Hi Charles C

What is the tabular format you use for the HACCP deceision process?

Mortimore article is great.

Ricky

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users