• Quick Navigation
Photo

SQF Templates - what order will the auditor be looking for?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic
- - - - -

BTNashville

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Culinary, QA, SQF, Operations

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:51 PM

We are having our pre-assessment preformed next month and audit the following month. Almost all food safety documentation has been in effect for quit some time, but the food quality documentation has recently been implemented. We have had many quality aspects in place for a while but no verification up til last month. The main concern I have is the template for the desk audit.

Will the auditor be looking for a certain template or order of documentation or am I looking to far into this aspect???

Like I mentioned before we have BCP, senior management policy, disaster recovery plan, all PRP's, etc...I created a rough draft and seems way to long including all plant GMP's, SOP's, and SSOP's. This seemed very redundant considering we have all listed in in separate manuals and electronically filed. 

What should I expect for an auditor to be looking for pertaining to our Template??? Is all information readily available in the order of the Code sufficient?

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 07 June 2013 - 07:18 AM

We are having our pre-assessment preformed next month and audit the following month. Almost all food safety documentation has been in effect for quit some time, but the food quality documentation has recently been implemented. We have had many quality aspects in place for a while but no verification up til last month. The main concern I have is the template for the desk audit.

Will the auditor be looking for a certain template or order of documentation or am I looking to far into this aspect???

Like I mentioned before we have BCP, senior management policy, disaster recovery plan, all PRP's, etc...I created a rough draft and seems way to long including all plant GMP's, SOP's, and SSOP's. This seemed very redundant considering we have all listed in in separate manuals and electronically filed. 

What should I expect for an auditor to be looking for pertaining to our Template??? Is all information readily available in the order of the Code sufficient?

type product ?

type process?

module?

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 07 June 2013 - 07:41 AM

You have your system arranged for your convenience and daily practical use.

As long as you have, and can find everything asked for during the audit then the organization of the documentation is entirely your call.

Make the auditor work for his/her money.

:banned:

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 07 June 2013 - 11:35 AM

Yeah I agree.  Alternatively you can have it arranged by the SQF numbering system also seeing as they will probably go down a checklist that uses that as a guide.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mr. Incognito

:tardis:

Mr. Incognito is a cool frood who can travel the width and breadth of the galaxy and still know where his towel is.

BTNashville

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Culinary, QA, SQF, Operations

Posted 07 June 2013 - 12:03 PM

Soups, Sauces, Entrees, & RTE salad

3 lines. Kettle Cook Operations & Chick Salad

Modules 2 & 11 Sector 20

Thanks to all for the advise.

Sweet_Lew

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 17 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 June 2013 - 04:46 PM

I created a table of contents using Excel listing all our PRPs,GMPs, SOPs,etc. along with the procedure number and SQF system number. mapping the procedure number to the procedure as a hyperlink. This seem to work really well, this will also help with annually reviewing your procedures and the SQF system updates.

Thanked by 1 Member:

john123

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 103 posts
  • 31 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 June 2013 - 06:53 PM

Yeah I agree.  Alternatively you can have it arranged by the SQF numbering system also seeing as they will probably go down a checklist that uses that as a guide.

Only thing that sucks about using the SQF numbering system is if SQF decides to reorganize it, your FS-QMS would need to be realigned too.

One suggestion is to print out the Modules you're going to be graded against and literally run through them and write down your own policy number next to it.  Our auditors had the majority of their paperwork done ahead of time, thanks to the desktop, and for the onsite they had their own list of how they wanted to approach the inspection.  But if you've made yourself a little cheatsheet, when they ask for documentation for a certain item, they can tell you which standard they're looking at and you've already got the policy/procedure number right there in front of you.  Our FS-QMS is numbered the way we wanted it, but we were able to quickly produce the items they requested thanks to that.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 15 June 2013 - 04:28 PM

If we have a client that wants a paper based system we normally set them up with two key binders - in this case for FSC 20 that would be binder 2 and binder 11 and then index by SQF Code number - each section (as needed) referencing additional back-up material that can be placed on computer/other binders, etc.  For our FSMS SQF web-based system it is basically set up the same way except there are a bunch of link overs to other sections of the software, etc.

Many SQF Auditors that I know (I am also one of these sometimes) run the audits in SQF Code order...   and having a system set up based on the code saves a lot of headaches for everyone involved.  With that said there are also times when Auditors will skip around or request items by name out of order. I would suggest having your index available that not only shows the code number in order but the documents in order as well.

I disagree with the thought of making an auditor work for their money - Believe me when I say I don't believe that most auditors are paid enough for what they do, they work a lot before, during and after an audit. They are already "working for their money more so than you will ever know", why push the buttons to begin with?

We have found if you make these steps easier on an auditor you and they will have a lot less stress in getting the job done professionally and fair.

Glenn

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 15 June 2013 - 05:30 PM

I disagree with the thought of making an auditor work for their money - Believe me when I say I don't believe that most auditors are paid enough for what they do, they work a lot before, during and after an audit. They are already "working for their money more so than you will ever know", why push the buttons to begin with?

I know auditors work very hard for their money.  The time required to be spent on factory floor was increased in BRC on top of the travelling, preparation, auditing and report writing, without giving more time or payment; they are squeezed, like we all are.  My point is the business should dictate how they organize their business, processes and procedures and as long as the auditee has the policies and procedures in place and can locate them then that's fine.  You won't get an NC for not having the documents in SQF numerical order.  Look to the original posters question, they are worried they must reorganize (long held) documentation for the sake of the audit. No!

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Tomato Country Girl

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 85 posts
  • 17 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:22 PM

Only thing that sucks about using the SQF numbering system is if SQF decides to reorganize it, your FS-QMS would need to be realigned too.

One suggestion is to print out the Modules you're going to be graded against and literally run through them and write down your own policy number next to it.  Our auditors had the majority of their paperwork done ahead of time, thanks to the desktop, and for the onsite they had their own list of how they wanted to approach the inspection.  But if you've made yourself a little cheatsheet, when they ask for documentation for a certain item, they can tell you which standard they're looking at and you've already got the policy/procedure number right there in front of you.  Our FS-QMS is numbered the way we wanted it, but we were able to quickly produce the items they requested thanks to that.

I agree with NOT using the SQF code element you may just want to use the title example Management Policy, Complaint Review etc.... I have been spending quite some time removing the elements of code ed 6 and( we decided not to put them on anymore) case in point  7.1 came out in April, effective July so we would have had to change all documents again. 

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users