• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:21 PM

Hello everyone,

I am in need of a procedure for a Rework for food/dietary supplement facility.  I am new to this industry and am in need of any help to create an SOP.  Thank you very much!

teaks

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 94 posts
  • 33 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:00 PM

I think rework is very specific to an operation, so a rework SOP from someone else may not work for you. However, the critical component is traceability back to the original ingredient identity.  For dietary supplements, it is also critical to verify the integrity of the batch being reworked.  

We assign a rework lot number, because often we combine several date codes or batches of product into a single rework lot. We keep a rework lot number log that references all the date codes and can be traced back.  We use the rework lot number on the production records when it is re-introduced to the product line.  When reworking dietary supplements, we include an additional QC check and sign-off, before processing, to ensure that the rework quantities and batch codes match the original records.

It will also be important to cover how to handle rework from different production stages: pre-packaging, post-packaging. 

I hope this is somewhat helpful!

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:07 PM

Hello everyone,

I am in need of a procedure for a Rework for food/dietary supplement facility.  I am new to this industry and am in need of any help to create an SOP.  Thank you very much!

Your rework needs to be controlled to minimise any risks, I would be particularly concerned with potential overdose. With supplements containing vitamins and minerals there are also claims (vitamin/mineral content) to consider.

The simplest procedure would be to only rework in the same product next time you have a production run.

Regards,

Tony

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users