• IFSQN Associate
  • 37 posts
  • 24 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:HACCP, BRC, FOOD SAFETY,

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:59 AM

I have a question about the Management of outsourced processing. We produce poultry products and some of them are fully cooked, vacuum packed and cased. We send the product for HPP (High Pressure Process) and the product is shipped to the customer from there. The product meet our HACCP when shipped to the HPP company . Would this still be considered outsource processing? 

David Pham

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 36 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:10 PM

I have a question about the Management of outsourced processing. We produce poultry products and some of them are fully cooked, vacuum packed and cased. We send the product for HPP (High Pressure Process) and the product is shipped to the customer from there. The product meet our HACCP when shipped to the HPP company . Would this still be considered outsource processing? 

Is the HPP performed by a seperate company or is it another division of your facility? If it's a division within your organization and the product never leaves your control I would say no sicne you could prove that your policies and procedures were in place at all times, however, if it is sent to a 3rd party company to finish processing then my answer would be yes. This would be the case because you would want to review their documents to some level to ensure that the proper steps were followed by them.  

Thanked by 1 Member:

maara91

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 37 posts
  • 24 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:29 PM

It is a 3rd party company. and the HPP is done to extend shelf life, not as a lethality step.

David Pham

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 36 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:53 PM

It is not a kill step, but I'm assuming that the product is shipped to the 3rd party with the USDA bug already affixed to the package correct?

maara91

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 37 posts
  • 24 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 July 2013 - 06:17 PM

yes it is.

David Pham

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 36 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:10 PM

yes it is.

Yes, this would be considered outsourced processing since you are sending to a 3rd party for pascalization. Although you may not consider it a kill step it in essence is exactaly that. You are using the HPP process to kill off any unwanted organisims to extend the shelf life. I would focus more towards section 3.5.4.3 of the standard.

Thanked by 2 Members:

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:22 AM

Yes, you will need to comply with all the requirements of 3.5.4 Management of outsourced processing not just 3.5.4.3

Regards,

Tony

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users