• Quick Navigation
Photo

Anyone using an iPad for Auditing instead of pen and paper?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

pink40

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 16 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:52 AM

Hi,

I am just curious if any one uses and i-pad for recording all quality information and or have replaced the pen an paper with online software programs.If so I would be interested to hear if you found it valuable. I am considering investing in an pad  due to its portability. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Edgar J

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 17 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 25 July 2013 - 03:29 PM

Hey pink40,

It is something that we are looking into adding to our Continuous Improvement plan to reduce paper use. I think it is extremely valuable if you put a good system in place for saving and accessing past documents for review. I would recommend ensuring you have all the information backed up on a main PC as well. We are working on implementing tablets for another program that we're launching but the next step is definitely working on encompassing all documentation. 

I am completely behind these sorts of improvements for all kinds of reasons and I am glad you are considering it!

Thanked by 2 Members:

Montana

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• New Zealand
    New Zealand

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:44 PM

Hi,

I am just curious if any one uses and i-pad for recording all quality information and or have replaced the pen an paper with online software programs.If so I would be interested to hear if you found it valuable. I am considering investing in an pad  due to its portability. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Hi,  My company is using last two years  computer  touch screens for QA  data and checks, Operator on line enter data in computer by touching the screen and if data are out of spec QA  coordinator receives e-mail notification same moment. On the end of the day  QA coordinator need to access  all data and sign off the report. The software automatically  put operator  name  recognising  it through  logging on computer. Software we are using are JD Edwards Enterprise 1  

Thanked by 2 Members:

Montana

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• New Zealand
    New Zealand

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:45 PM

Hi,  My company is using last two years  computer  touch screens for QA  data and checks, Operator on line enter data in computer by touching the screen and if data are out of spec QA  coordinator receives e-mail notification same moment. On the end of the day  QA coordinator need to access  all data and sign off the report. The software automatically  put operator  name  recognising  it through  logging on computer. Software we are using are JD Edwards Enterprise 1  

I Have forgotten to tell - we are paperles prodiuction facility !!

Wine Gum

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 89 posts
  • 61 thanks
Good

• South Africa
    South Africa

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:05 AM

Hi Pink40

I am using the iPad for auditing . there is a website (www.iauditor) where you can download free template apps for the ipad to create your own checklists. Wonderful tool!

Makayla

Thanked by 2 Members:

Jairajmarcose

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 16 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 22 March 2014 - 08:53 AM

INFORMATIVE

mesophile

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 137 posts
  • 142 thanks
Good

• Wales
    Wales
  • Interests:Twitter @DSi77

Chartered Scientist (CSci)
    Member of IFST (MIFST)
    Avid guitar player, dog walker and fitness trainer.
    I love reading, and learning about new fields in food science and technology.

Posted 22 March 2014 - 11:26 AM

Hi,

Looked at this route lots, and the types of companies offering great software as well (like Safefood 360). 

For our company though, the problem was that the products we were producing were cooked brined meats so there was a lot of salt/nitrates in the air - which corrodes iPads for fun.

We looked at housing them in waterproof rubber units so at least if they dropped they had a better chance of survival, unfortunately we just couldn't get them to work effectively. The nail in the coffin for us was that one was placed on a table in production for a couple of hours whilst we were doing some investigatory work and when we returned it had vanished. We had interviewed staff, threatened them a little with the police, and blocked the iPad through the Apple website however these are very expensive and highly sought after units so there is always that risk (which we found out). Unfortunately, the unit that disappeared had a lot of QA data on which we lost.

If you do go down that route, just remember to put them on the glass and hard plastic register.

Thanks

Simon

Edited by mesophile, 22 March 2014 - 11:28 AM.

fgjuadi

Grade - PIFSQN

• Banned
  • 898 posts
  • 203 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 22 March 2014 - 12:49 PM

Unfortunately, the unit that disappeared had a lot of QA data on which we lost.

If you do go down that route, just remember to put them on the glass and hard plastic register.

Thanks

Simon

IT HAD YOUR DATA?!?!  :yikes: OMG, back that shiznit up!  That would make my head explode.

I was once responsible for a sanitation dept which needed pictures, so I fought IT, department managers, and the factory manager for over a month to get them technology.  Dozens of smart supervisors told me my adult employees were too irresponsilbe for a phone.  In my nievety, I concluded that they were good people that I hired, and truste,d and they understood how not to destroy a phone. I got them an incredibly expensive Iphone and a beautiful $150 case that claimed you could drive over it with a semi and still have a working phone. 

The phone was stolen within the week and the IT dept had not activated the phone tracking feature that lets you locate it if it's stolen.

:doh:

I install Prey on all my devices.  I did not get them another phone.

.--. .- -. - ... / --- .--. - .. --- -. .- .-..

osp

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 12 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:33 PM

I've not used a portable device for auditing or collecting data but do use a web based QMS and an Enterprise level SPC solution. My suggestion is to consider the resources needed to implement/maintain the system versus the benefits of having the automation. A system as you suggest can look like a time saver on the surface but can take considerable resources to maintain and may be best suited to a medium to large company with IT support.

My thoughts are:

1. A simple dedicated auditing app that collected data and reported that data would be useful.

2. Then I would want that to tie into a corrective action process of some type. This adds more complexity.

3. The ultimate would be if this integrated with an overall eQMS. Now we're back to an enterprise level solution.

If these three chunks of functionality could be implemented (and paid for) independently I may be interested. I've gone straight to #3 a few times and it is a feat to accomplish.

What is the core problem you are looking to solve with this and what benefits do you see in implementing it? Look forward to your ideas.

Thanks.

CBJuice

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 11 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 04 August 2014 - 04:48 AM

I hadn't even considered this. I've just read out these replies to the C.E.O. Hopefully I have peaked his interest.

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users