• Quick Navigation
Photo

Is employee assessment required when giving Food Safety Training?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic
- - - - -

Waferthin

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 27 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:36 PM

Hi all,

Just wondering when giving food safety training to staff on site do they have to complete an assessment or is suffice to sign them off as trained?  We work to BRC and TFMS standards, I am relatively new to the company but I see in the past they have just been signed off as been trained rather than assessed like other training.  This was also the case with on-site HACCP training although we have since a few employees on the certified HACCP course.

Thanks in advance!

maara91

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 37 posts
  • 24 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:HACCP, BRC, FOOD SAFETY,

Posted 14 August 2013 - 06:15 PM

We add a Supervisor review part to the training, so supervisors can actually assess their employees.

Thanked by 1 Member:

esquef

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 374 posts
  • 235 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:58 PM

I'm not familiar with TFMS standards, and not a trained on BRC standards, but with SQF (and I suspect all GFSI schemes) a facility is required to validate that training is effective. For classroom type training tests/quizzes are a good way of acheiving this. On the job training is typically done by observation from production management, so validation could be signed off by a floor supervisor for example (as mentioned by maara91).

Verification is generally done by having the trainees sign and date that they were trained, and a spreadsheet showing frequency of testing (defined in your FSMS) and training status of each employee has been valuable in my experience.

Edited by esquef, 15 August 2013 - 03:02 PM.

Thanked by 2 Members:

Ian R

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 121 posts
  • 40 thanks
Good

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:42 AM

Hi

The easiest way to meet the requirements is accredited training, the CIEH RSPH or HABC training with the examination meets all the requirements.

Candidates are assessed through the examination process and either pass (get a certificate) or fail.

You keep a copy of the certificate as proof of the training, the cert is dated with a recommended review date.

There are current discussions to try and extend the accredited training in the food industry so that staff can take the training with them when they move. At the moment 'in house' training is not transferable from one company to another. The discussions are at an early stage but this may become a government initiative in the near future.

rgds

Reagan

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Kenya
    Kenya

Posted 23 November 2013 - 05:24 PM

Hi all, Once the inhouse training has been conducted, it's always accompanied by signing off all the trainees which is proof of attendance. The other step is evaluation for effectiveness os that particular training. This is achieved by seating the trainees some exams derived from the training subject or the floor supervisor validation through observation of the trainee as to answer the question, did such a training really improve/sharpen their skills or is there still a gap?

Thanked by 1 Member:

George @ Safefood 360°

Grade - SIFSQN

• Corporate Sponsor
  • 374 posts
  • 327 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 November 2013 - 05:44 PM

It is not necessary to have an assessment although this is one of the methods available to you. TFMS calls for:

"The competency of employees must be reviewed at defined intervals or following significant changes in procedures and re-training undertaken where necessary."

So you must 'review' the 'competency' of the employee following training and changes. It also mentions 'defined' intervals so this would suggest that simply getting a signature from the trainee following training is not sufficient. It only proves they attended at best. A review is required; therefore this requires somebody other than the trainee to undertake a review process to confirm competency. This can be done through assessment, examination, on the job assessment by a supervisor or report by a competent training buddy or a combination of these. You will have to define the period of time after training that this is conducted and schedule it in your system. Records of the review will need to be maintained and records of retraining following this review will also be required. It appears to be a simple requirement but on closer examination it requires a complete management process to address fully.

George 

Thanked by 1 Member:

mgourley

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,412 posts
  • 999 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Cooking, golf, firearms, food safety and sanitation.

Posted 23 November 2013 - 10:24 PM

Good replies to your question.

From the BRC perspective: If you are conducting classroom type training, the standard requires that you "review the effectiveness of training". To me, that means some sort of test to show comprehension.

If you are doing on the job training, the same standard applies.Sign offs by trainers or supervisors that show the trainee is competently performing their job should suffice. 

Marshall

Stephen M.

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 10 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 May 2014 - 02:34 PM

I give written tests. They are scored and at the bottom they sign there name with a statement along the lines of "By signing here I take full responsibility for my training and understand what is expected of me"

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users