• Quick Navigation
Photo

Do dry goods manufacturers need a certified HACCP person?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic
- - - - -

Taste Maker

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 42 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:31 PM

Hello everyone, I recently heard of a plant getting 25 pts. taken off of their AIB Audit for not having a certified HACCP coordinator. The plant makes 95% liquid products such as, sauces, dressings and syrups. My question is whether or not my facility which produces only dry goods such as, breadings, spice blends and funnel cake mixes is "required" to have one as well?

Thanks in advance from Taste Maker

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 16 October 2013 - 05:23 AM

Hello everyone, I recently heard of a plant getting 25 pts. taken off of their AIB Audit for not having a certified HACCP coordinator. The plant makes 95% liquid products such as, sauces, dressings and syrups. My question is whether or not my facility which produces only dry goods such as, breadings, spice blends and funnel cake mixes is "required" to have one as well?

Thanks in advance from Taste Maker

Dear Taste Maker,

I think not too many AIB users on this forum (including myself) so I will start the ball rolling while waiting for any authoritative reply..

First (obvious) action would be to check the standard's detailed requirements. Which Specific Standard is involved ?

Second (probably equally obvious) could be to ask yr chosen auditing / certification body. After all they are, or will be, getting your $.

Third, may depend on what you mean by (a) Coordinator, (b) certified.?

Many, maybe all, HACCP systems do require evidence that an appropriately trained "Team Leader" is involved. However a Coordinator  function is less often stipulated IMEX although frequently created to act as a day-to-day "link-person" / backup / verifier, etc. IMEX, the degree of auditorially expected evidence as to competence for this position can vary from OJT to, more often, having attended / passed an appropriate HACCP course.

Hopefully there are some AIB experts here.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

David Pham

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 36 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 17 October 2013 - 04:37 PM

It sounds like in this case, that there wasn't anyone properly trained in HACCP identified within the plan. In most cases the HACCP coordinator is the QA Manager/Food Safety Manager. I have heard of companies having secretaries and admin associates be the HACCP coordinator. In either case I would hope the person was properly trained.

Also one thing to consider is AIB also offers HACCP training and certification.

bwilson7367

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:14 PM

I would say yes.

If you make a food product then you must have a HACCP plan. If you have a HACCP plan, then you must have a person in charge of the HACCP plan. If you have a person in charge of the HACCP plan, then that person must be properly trained in the arts of HACCP. They do not need to hold the job title of HACCP Coordinator, but HACCP leader/coordinator/manager must be in their job description/responsibilities. HACCP is more than just micro, do you have physical or chemical contamination controls?  

Point of reference: I am not an authority. We do not get certified by AIB. I am the HACCP manager for my company that makes a dry food product. My title is not HACCP manager, but it is in my job responsibilities along with sanitation supervisor and many more.

Harish R

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 26 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:56 AM

Yes. For the FSMS system to be effective a particular person with food safety knowledge is required. You can use the person effectively for training other staff also

With Best Regards

Harish

tanyac

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 October 2013 - 01:38 PM

Good Morning Taste Maker,

I work for a Spice Company and when we were doing AIB Audit inspections it was required that we have HACCP certification. 

Hope that helps :)

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users