• Quick Navigation
Photo

Is a daily inventory of knives required if we have metal detectors?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Pizza&Sandwich

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 113 posts
  • 15 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:00 PM

Can you possibly complete a risk assessment and determine that you do not need to inventory knives daily?

We have metal detection on all lines, one line has detected a very small piece of foil in an ingredient. Is it possible to use our past metal occurrences to justify not having to inventory the knives on a daily basis?

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,610 posts
  • 371 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:38 PM

I am not remembering your process. This didn't work for us, we did get a minor for not tracking our knives, even though we could show our metal detectors were tested and worked as described.

Do you sanitize your knives at all? You will want to track that each of the knives have been cleaned and we found doing an inventory assisted us in that.

-Setanta         

Madam A. D-tor

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 644 posts
  • 230 thanks
Excellent

• Netherlands
    Netherlands
  • Interests:meat, meat products, ready to eat, food safety, QMS, audits, hazard analyses, IFS, BRC, SQF, HACCP, ISO 9001, ISO 22000

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:14 AM

Neither in BRC standard, nor in IFS standard is stated that a knife control should be performed daily.

I have understand that this is a specific requirement of a UK retailer.

So, depending on your product, processes and customers the method of control should be established, documented and recorded.

Kind Regards,

Madam A. D-tor

Pizza&Sandwich

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 113 posts
  • 15 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:37 PM

I am not remembering your process. This didn't work for us, we did get a minor for not tracking our knives, even though we could show our metal detectors were tested and worked as described.

Do you sanitize your knives at all? You will want to track that each of the knives have been cleaned and we found doing an inventory assisted us in that.

We have 3 different processes: Pizza crust production (raw), Pizza topping production (NRTE), Sandwich assembly (RTE).

We wash and sanitize all Food contact equipment daily, and as needed throughout the day.

Neither in BRC standard, nor in IFS standard is stated that a knife control should be performed daily.

I have understand that this is a specific requirement of a UK retailer.

So, depending on your product, processes and customers the method of control should be established, documented and recorded.

If not performed daily, then what frequency is acceptable? I'm looking at SQF specifically which apparently is very big with knife/sharps control.

Madam A. D-tor

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 644 posts
  • 230 thanks
Excellent

• Netherlands
    Netherlands
  • Interests:meat, meat products, ready to eat, food safety, QMS, audits, hazard analyses, IFS, BRC, SQF, HACCP, ISO 9001, ISO 22000

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:08 PM

If not performed daily, then what frequency is acceptable? I'm looking at SQF specifically which apparently is very big with knife/sharps control.

IMO The frequency and the way of control is up to you and depends on your risk assessment. It depends on your products, the knives you use, the way you use your knives, the risk of breaking or losing them, etc.

Please note: I have no knowledge or experience with SQF.

Kind Regards,

Madam A. D-tor

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 26 October 2013 - 03:35 AM

Dear Lacey,

I presume yr metal detector is only scanning food. Can you envisage any (say moderately possible) route whereby a part / whole knife could nonetheless find its way / be intermingled into/with any of yr (ultimate) shipped product. I anticipate the answer is Yes. Hence the inventory.

As far as frequency is concerned, what is yr corrective action in the case that an inventory of returned knife blades shows that one has been broken, or simply disappeared, eg "lost" ?

You might find this legendary tale of some interest -

http://www.ifsqn.com...ment/#entry1461

(particularly #7 -24 maybe)

these 2 antique, short  discussions are also quite informative in a general way -

http://www.ifsqn.com...ntrol/#entry225

http://www.ifsqn.com...trol/#entry2770

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,224 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 01 November 2013 - 03:14 AM

Can you possibly complete a risk assessment and determine that you do not need to inventory knives daily?

We have metal detection on all lines, one line has detected a very small piece of foil in an ingredient. Is it possible to use our past metal occurrences to justify not having to inventory the knives on a daily basis?

Hi Lacey,

As you are concerned regarding SQF requirements:

11.7.5.7 Knives and cutting instruments used in processing and packaging operations shall be controlled, and kept clean and well maintained.
Guidance 11.7.5.7 Knives and cutting instruments must be counted and controlled and kept clean to avoid cross-contamination.

So a frequency is not stipulated. For me there are a couple of things to consider in deciding a frequency that is adequate?

The type of knife used and risk of the blade snapping

The risk of it ending up in the product (whole or part)

Your ability to take timely corrective action if a knife or part of a blade is missing - Assuming the metal detector will detect a whole knife what action do you take when one is missing?

What size of a snapped blade your metal detector will find

Since some of your products are RTE I assume they go out PDQ. You have to ask yourself if you check your knives less frequently than daily and you find a problem what are the repercussions? A product recall?

Regards,

Tony

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users