• IFSQN Associate
  • 37 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 26 October 2013 - 08:28 AM

Dear all

Am in need to know, is receiving food delivery temperature is CCP ?

We are receiving items like Frozen/chilled/fresh products and the products are cooked /semi cooked/raw - meat/poultry/sea foods and dairy products like milk/ice creams etc., the temperature range is below 5 deg C and frozen food -17 deg C.

thanks in advance

Anju

"we are what we eat"

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 26 October 2013 - 09:40 AM

Dear all

Am in need to know, is receiving food delivery temperature is CCP ?

We are receiving items like Frozen/chilled/fresh products and the products are cooked /semi cooked/raw - meat/poultry/sea foods and dairy products like milk/ice creams etc., the temperature range is below 5 deg C and frozen food -17 deg C.

thanks in advance

Anju

Dear anju,

If this is for iso22000, receiving food delivery temperature is probably a prerequisite when utilising PAS220 / ISO equivalent.**

Rgds / Charles.C

PS (added) - ** unless there is a local regulatory issue involved

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Harish R

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 26 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 26 October 2013 - 03:43 PM

Dear anju,

If this is for iso22000, receiving food delivery temperature is probably a prerequisite when utilising PAS220 / ISO equivalent.**

Rgds / Charles.C

PS (added) - ** unless there is a local regulatory issue involved

Dear Charles,

What if we are receiving smoked turkey / meat under refrigeration and it is sliced and used in RTE sandwich? This process got me confused very much while doing hazard analysis.

With Best Regards

Harish

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 26 October 2013 - 05:02 PM

Dear Charles,

What if we are receiving smoked turkey / meat under refrigeration and it is sliced and used in RTE sandwich? This process got me confused very much while doing hazard analysis.

Dear Hareesh,

Assuming  iso22000 /  PAS220 / regulatory as post #2, the answer should be the same IMO. For example, see section 9.3 of PAS220.

Rgds / Charles.C

(added) -

Purchasing of materials which impact food safety shall be controlled to ensure that the suppliers used have the capability to meet the specified requirements. The conformance of incoming materials to specified purchase requirements shall be verified.

9.3 Incoming material requirements (raw/ingredients/packaging)

Delivery vehicles shall be checked prior to, and during, unloading to verify that the quality and safety of the material has been maintained during transit (e.g. seals are intact, free from infestation, temperature records exist).

Materials shall be inspected, tested or covered by COA to verify conformance to specified requirements prior to acceptance or use. The method of verification shall be documented.

NOTE The inspection frequency and scope may be based on the hazard presented by the material and the risk assessment of the specific suppliers.

Materials which do not conform to relevant specifications shall be handled under a documented procedure which ensures they are prevented from unintended use.

(Nonetheless, it is not compulsory to use PAS220[unless FSSC22000,] unlike any local regulatory requirements)

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Madam A. D-tor

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 644 posts
  • 230 thanks
Excellent

• Netherlands
    Netherlands
  • Interests:meat, meat products, ready to eat, food safety, QMS, audits, hazard analyses, IFS, BRC, SQF, HACCP, ISO 9001, ISO 22000

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:19 AM

Dear Anju and Hareesh,

If temperature of incoming goods is a CCP, depends on your hazard-study.

Dear Hareesh,

In the process you mentioned (reception - storage - slicing - assembling ready to eat sandwich), what are the hazard you identified at reception and what is confusing you? Maybe we can help you out.

Kind Regards,

Madam A. D-tor

Harish R

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 26 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:13 AM

Dear Madam,

What if the supplier misses his CCP? Also after making the sandwiches we are storing it in the chiller and transporting at chiller temperatures. What about those two steps?

With Best Regards

Harish

Madam A. D-tor

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 644 posts
  • 230 thanks
Excellent

• Netherlands
    Netherlands
  • Interests:meat, meat products, ready to eat, food safety, QMS, audits, hazard analyses, IFS, BRC, SQF, HACCP, ISO 9001, ISO 22000

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:23 AM

Dear Madam,

What if the supplier misses his CCP? Also after making the sandwiches we are storing it in the chiller and transporting at chiller temperatures. What about those two steps?

I do not understand this question. Please answer my previous question, and maybe we can help you out with your confusing.

Dear Hareesh,

In the process you mentioned (reception - storage - slicing - assembling ready to eat sandwich), what are the hazard you identified at reception and what is confusing you? Maybe we can help you out.

So, which hazards did you identify in the process reception of goods?

Kind Regards,

Madam A. D-tor

anju

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 37 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:13 PM

Thank you all, The receiving food delivery temperature is not as per my specification then the product will be rejected so it is not CCP. even if i accept the frozen item which is below the set standard but ok for by thumb knock method (frozen hard) the reset of the process will control the hazard. For example, as Mr.Hareesh mentioned Frozen smoked meat (RTE) at storage and processing we have specific control,measure to control the hazards. so the food delivery temperature is NOT a CCP. Am I Correct?

"we are what we eat"

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:26 PM

Thank you all, The receiving food delivery temperature is not as per my specification then the product will be rejected so it is not CCP. even if i accept the frozen item which is below the set standard but ok for by thumb knock method (frozen hard) the reset of the process will control the hazard. For example, as Mr.Hareesh mentioned Frozen smoked meat (RTE) at storage and processing we have specific control,measure to control the hazards. so the food delivery temperature is NOT a CCP. Am I Correct?

Dear anju,

i think yr logic  implies that unfrozen (eg thawed) raw material is equally as acceptable as frozen with respect to  the safety of the finished product. This seems illogical, unless you can validate it.? (it would presumably also be non-compliant with yr basic purchase specification ?)

However, for some factors, yr logic could be correct, eg some raw material may "unavoidably" contain  microbiological pathogens but which will be (validatably) either eliminated in the process or at the point of consumption so that such "foreknowledge" does not  generate a CCP.

My own POV was that if the "receiving" step is defined to be a Prerequisite, it will obviously not be a CCP but it will be necessary to take appropriate corrective action if the result of monitoring on arrival is non-compliance with the specification.

As Madam A. D-tor commented, it is necessary to perform a formal risk assessment / hazard analysis, eg as required by the ISO22000 standard.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

SUSHIL

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 162 posts
  • 225 thanks
Good

• India
    India

Posted 28 October 2013 - 07:18 PM

Hello Anju,

You have to ask your product supplier for product characteristic and intended use which describes the product storage conditions and shelf life of the product ,also you have to ask for COA from supplier of product which describes various physical,chemical and  microbiological parameters.

Hence receiveing your product will be ccp or not will dependent on storage condition of product described by the manufacturer as what will be the risk if it is temp is above the recommended stroage temp.

Attached the doc of food safety practices and haccp for your help.

Attached Files

Edited by SUSHIL, 28 October 2013 - 07:27 PM.

Thanked by 2 Members:

Madam A. D-tor

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 644 posts
  • 230 thanks
Excellent

• Netherlands
    Netherlands

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:38 PM

I am sorry, but I think you are not correct.

If it is a CCP depends on the hazard you have identified.

The hazard is however not too high delivery temperature, but growth of pathogens and forming of toxins due to high temperature. If you are using smoked meat in ready to eat product without further treatment, you will not reduce this hazard to acceptable levels.

What business are you in?

Kind Regards,

Madam A. D-tor

Madam A. D-tor

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 644 posts
  • 230 thanks
Excellent

• Netherlands
    Netherlands

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:41 PM

@ SUSHIL

Thanks for sharing. :thumbup:

Kind Regards,

Madam A. D-tor

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 29 October 2013 - 02:33 AM

Dear Sushil,

Thks for the post but for some attachments, maybe a cross-reference to recent posts would suffice -

http://www.ifsqn.com...sis/#entry65659

http://www.ifsqn.com...indpost&p=64558

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 29 October 2013 - 02:48 AM

I am sorry, but I think you are not correct.

If it is a CCP depends on the hazard you have identified.

The hazard is however not too high delivery temperature, but growth of pathogens and forming of toxins due to high temperature. If you are using smoked meat in ready to eat product without further treatment, you will not reduce this hazard to acceptable levels.

I completely agree with you however i occasionally find that CCP decisions do fall into a conceptual "grey" area.

As an example, can see the different, but slightly analogous situation / discussion below, my guess is that people will hv varying opinions over the "best" haccp resolution to this one  -

Attached File  Bending the Rules on Bacteria (and Food Safety).pdf   279.08KB   88 downloads

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

anju

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 37 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 29 October 2013 - 05:04 AM

Thank you Sushil :thumbup:

Dear Madam A. D-tor

Stated below is my basic hazard analysis for receiving and am in hotel industry. What ever the cooked food we receiving will be reheated for 75deg C for 2mins before serving and then will proceed further process. But ice creams and creams, flavored yogurt only storage can do.

Hazard Description:
Microbial - Growth of bacteria due to incorrect delivery temperature.
Microbial - Products with incorrect date codes.
Physical - Contamination from damaged packaging.
Controls:
Correct delivery procedure.
Critical Limit:
Chilled food must be 5°C or below.
Frozen food must be frozen hard (-18°C) or colder.
Food must have the specified required shelf life.
Packaging in good condition.
Monitoring Procedures:
Food temperatures must be taken with a probe thermometer.
All deliveries are visually checked to ensure food is packaged correctly and has sufficient shelf life.
Corrective Actions:
If the food temperature is over 5°C, out of date or not frozen hard, the product must be returned to the supplier.
If the food has any evidence of foreign objects or pests, the product must be returned to the supplier.
Verification:
The Purchasing Manager & Executive Chef are notified of any incident that occurs. Internal auditing and complaint system verifies Hotel’s standards.

Thank you

"we are what we eat"

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 29 October 2013 - 05:53 AM

Dear anju,

Perhaps you could confirm which Food safety standard you are interested in since the replies may otherwise be meaningless for certain items.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

anju

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 37 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:05 PM

Thank you Charles,

In India we are following our FSSAI Rules-2011 and Regulations-2010.

Our Hotel going for ISO 22K certification. so am indeed to know all this.

Edited by anju, 29 October 2013 - 12:08 PM.

"we are what we eat"

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:15 AM

Dear anju,

I can see you have made an effort to organize some hazard related data.

I suggest that you compare the results in yr post with the related sections in the ISO22000 standard.

The exact format for the hazard analysis presentation is optional but it is necessary to (logically) address the detailed requirements within  section 7.

For example, appropriate selection of Prerequisite functions is mandatory. And similarly the evaluation of  risk factors based on likelihood / severity of each identified hazard / its consequences.

This example of a (manufacturing) hazard analysis for yoghurt intended to match the FSSC22000 standard may be useful, especially the excel sheet in post #79  –

http://www.ifsqn.com...744/#entry39585

It is possible that some details may be controlled by the local regulatory standards which you noted.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users