• IFSQN Associate
  • 37 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:08 PM

HI

We manufacture vitamin's and food supplements all from dry powders. Do I need to provide an introduction for all or products on the HACCP plan as we manufacture over 200 (Ish)  different products.

They all follow the same process flow.

Raw Material In > Checked and Sampled > Stored in WH > Picked for manufacturing > Powders Blended > Blend manufactured > Tablets\Capsules Stored > Dispatched

Thanks

John

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 09 December 2013 - 04:38 PM

HI

We manufacture vitamin's and food supplements all from dry powders. Do I need to provide an introduction for all or products on the HACCP plan as we manufacture over 200 (Ish)  different products.

Raw Material In > Checked and Sampled > Stored in WH > Picked for manufacturing > Powders Blended > Blend manufactured > Tablets\Capsules Stored > Dispatched

Thanks

John

Dear John Moreton,

You omitted to mention whether any particular regulatory / private standard involved which could be relevant.

A generic answer for traditional haccp is that the haccp format is based on the risk analysis / process flow.

I am curious regarding the CCP for yr process. No CCP implies no haccp plan.?

For a set of similar finished products and if the process steps / possible hazards / CCPs are identical, it is theoretically possible to group the items on the initial flowchart and therefore analyse together  as far as the haccp plan is concerned.

Variations of this procedure occur in foodservice applications where 2-3 representative CCPs are standard for a large variety of menu item preparations so that  (haccp) classification of items into 2-3 corresponding classes is carried out..

Rgds / Charles.C

PS - Regardlesss of haccp, I expect you are still obliged to generate 200 individual specifications from a customer's POV, and the same situation may demand some haccp replications also?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

John Moreton

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 37 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 09 December 2013 - 04:55 PM

Hi

the only CCP I can identify is a metal detector at the manufacturing of the blended powders, everything else has a pre requisite control in place.

the grouping of products is where I was planning on going forward. IE we do Vitiman A vitiman B, Multi vits, Green Coffee Bean etc. they are all tablets blended from raw powder. they all follow the exact same process flow.

All our products do have individual spec sheets for customers and our own purposes.

paolos

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 09 December 2013 - 08:09 PM

The process flow is only one component of the plan.  Different ingredients that make up the different products all may bring something different to the table.  I have seen systems with one plan for many products but I have also seen one for every product made using the same process.  I really depends on how well you can defend your choice.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 10 December 2013 - 05:53 AM

The process flow is only one component of the plan.  Different ingredients that make up the different products all may bring something different to the table.  I have seen systems with one plan for many products but I have also seen one for every product made using the same process.  I really depends on how well you can defend your choice.

Dear paolos,

I totally agree with yr comment but for the input components in the present case, I would anticipate they are all haccp  "qualified"  by "food grade" and "approved supplier"  status, albeit both factors necessitating validation as  prerequisite-type functions.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 12 December 2013 - 06:03 AM

HI

Thanks

John

Hi John,

From your process flow this may be possible but you need more information in order to assess the situation.

I would draw up a matrix of the products and the ingredients they contain and also a list of the hazards associated with each ingredient.

Regards,

Tony

John Moreton

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 37 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:59 AM

HI Tony

Thanks, I have a list of the 182 ingredients that we use in our products (around 200 + products) listing the hazards in each ingredient is going to be......fun

Is there any way I can simply refer to the spec sheets for all our individual products.

john

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:42 PM

Hi John,

I was thinking that putting them in a matrix in Excel would be the easiest way :whistle:

I know it sounds like a lot of work but the matrix would be very useful.

Regards,

Tony

JPO

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 133 posts
  • 66 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 December 2013 - 01:02 PM

We are a dry blended goods manufacturer in the food industry.  CP's include magnets and screening for foreign materials.  CCP is x-ray detection for foreign materials. 

Can't do much else other than have strong prerequisite programs and good vendor certification.  No kill steps, no time-temp, no pH/acidity. 

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 13 December 2013 - 06:26 AM

Dear John Moreton,

Its an interesting project.

The options's advantages must depend on how many hazard differences exist between input ingredients, ie how many differences between haccp plans.

I had previously assumed almost none so that if the only ingredient-specific control segment is, for example, within a (separate) prerequisite manual for incoming materials, the use of dummy X,Y,Z variables elsewhere is presumably less complicated. ?

Regardless, it seems to me that one unavoidable  “business” problem is where  you are obliged to issue product-specific haccp plans to customers, this will presumably demand completion of an appropriately worded specific plan. Just like yr product specifications in fact. Usage of a cross-referencing system would then be problematic IMO unless your company is happy to provide an encyclopaedic Index. (Bit like reading a typical ISO22000 HACCP Plan  [eg see my yoghurt plan  on this forum] where all the prerequisites are simply cross-coded to PAS220, very convenient for the writer  but can no doubt become irritating for readers :smile: ).

I previously encountered an analogous situation to yours for Fresh Raw Material Specifications where 30, mostly similar but with numerous individual variations were involved. Lacking Excel expertise I used Word’s cruder matrix-type offerings. It was a slog but the subsequent updating / selective printing option is greatly facilitated, especially if  multiply-repeated edits occur.  Nowadays, database software / matrices as per Tony’s comment probably makes such a  job a piece of cake (especially if it’s someone else’s cake).

Rgds / Charles.C

PS – a somewhat analogous but slightly expanded problem to yours occurs in the presentation of combined format, haccp plans for foodservice. One solution there has been to generate the 2 or 3 CCP, representative haccp flowcharts commonly involved as individual blocks within frames, the latter of  which are then presented together in a “master”  snapshot. Lists are then constructed for the items in the separate frames. I think there are 1-2  threads with example/attachments of this concept on this forum.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

FBQFS01

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 11 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Netherlands
    Netherlands

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:41 PM

Dear John, 

Our process is generally the same ; all dry ingredients and no kill step what so ever. Like suggested before,

I have a excell matrix listing all ingredients and all potential hazards to these ingredients. It is a lot of work (but  I had my colleague do it :spoton: ).

Fiona

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users