• Quick Navigation
Photo

Congratulations MerleW on becoming an IFSQN Senior!

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic
- - - - -

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1364 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:54 PM

Well done MerleW on making your 250th post and reaching the IFSQN Senior membership grade.  You are a very helpful and friendly member and have been a asset to the forums since you joined. :clap:

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Thanked by 1 Member:

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,615 posts
  • 371 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:58 PM

Congratulations, MerleW!

(I'd better get busy with some helpful replies!) :)  :ejut: 
I can't seem to access smileys today.  

Edited by Setanta, 22 January 2014 - 05:09 PM.

-Setanta         

Thanked by 1 Member:

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:58 PM

:doctor:  

Thanks Simon.  I saw that on my 250th post and thought oooo  nice!  I'm just happy that I've been able to help out the people I have and be a part of a great and growing community.

Thanks everyone who has given me advice while I've been here also together we can make food safer.

:tardis:  (I think I'm going to put a TARDIS on all my posts from now on just as thanks for you getting these lol )

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mr. Incognito

:tardis:

Mr. Incognito is a cool frood who can travel the width and breadth of the galaxy and still know where his towel is.

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 21 January 2014 - 07:01 PM

Congratulations, MerleW!

(I'd better get busy with some helpful replies!) :)
I can't seem to access smileys today.

Thanks Setanta!  You'll be there soon :biggrin:.

Some days the smileys don't work as well for me also.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mr. Incognito

Mr. Incognito is a cool frood who can travel the width and breadth of the galaxy and still know where his towel is.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Marshenko

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 285 posts
  • 108 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 January 2014 - 07:18 PM

Well done sir.  Well done.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 21 January 2014 - 07:22 PM

Thank you Marshenko  :doctor:

Mr. Incognito

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 January 2014 - 07:59 PM

Sigh..... :(  I still have a long ways to go........

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:04 PM

Some day, when your at 1000 posts, you'll look back at that comment and laugh.  You'll get there.   :thumbup:

Mr. Incognito

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:57 PM

Some day, when your at 1000 posts, you'll look back at that comment and laugh.  You'll get there.   :thumbup:

:roflmao:   

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

mapry2

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 92 posts
  • 28 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:31 PM

Félicitation MerleW

Seany

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 10 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:43 PM

Well done and thanks. You've helped me out a number of times.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:53 PM

Dear Merle,

It seems to help if you change jobs frequently ?

Congrats,  :thumbup:

Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:55 AM

WooHoo Merle!

You must be spending too much time on here!! :silly:

Caz x

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:34 PM

Dear Merle,

It seems to help if you change jobs frequently ?

Congrats,  :thumbup:

Charles.C

Well it does help to see how different places do different things,working with different materials, and different standards  :gleam:.  Also I'd love to stay in one place, I hate moving around so much, now that I'm a Quality Manager I'm probably not going to move for about 5 years so I can get another QM job w/o a degree... unless I go to corporate quality but then I'll be going to Michigan not Virginia like I want to :silly:  lol.  Thanks Charles!

WooHoo Merle!

You must be spending too much time on here!! :silly:

Caz x

Caz... I'm sure I do.  Luckily seeing as they know I use these forms at work (my boss and corporate people) I'm not worried about getting in too much trouble for it.  It's work related :shades: lol.  But I have shared information with them from the forums already I'm surprised nobody has asked me what the site is.  Most recently I've been keeping them abreast of the standards that are moving to unannounced audits.  I've seen landslides like this before when I worked at the DVD factory and we were waiting to find out if BD or HDDVD was going to be the next format. 

Thanks to everyone else for your messages :)  I'm happy to have helped those I could.

:spoton:

Merle

Mr. Incognito

Marshenko

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 285 posts
  • 108 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 22 January 2014 - 01:48 PM

Nice.  Glad to see I'm not the only one doing this without a degree.  Well, unless my Political Science and Film Studies BAs count lol. 

I personally feel that industry experience and having a really good boss can't be beat - my first job was a QA Supervisor under a guy who is like, THE expert in the particular food category we were producing.  He taught me everything, from auditing stuff to sanitation to the science behind dry-cured meats to working in the lab.

That being said, I'd like to get some type of piece of paper at some point.  The distance learning certificates from KSU and NC State are tempting, but the out of state tuition ....

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:33 PM

Yeah I know what you mean.

My first quality manager was kind of nuts she would yell at us for hours for no really good reason (if it was a good reason I'd accept it).  The one who replaced her was a really intelligent sciency guy who taught me a bit, for the short time I worked with him, about different food safety attributes and he was really big on how tests tested things not just what the results meant.

My last manager I don't think really had all of the knowledge one should have but she knew what she was doing mostly.  I learned some from her. 

I just take the best of all of my previous managers to move forward as a manager.  As for knowledge we are always learning as we work and move forward.  There is some milling correspondence course they talk about that I think I'm going to do to learn more about wheat and wheat products.  I was taking bio at the local community college but I had to drop out when I took this job.

Mr. Incognito

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 22 January 2014 - 04:15 PM

I must admit Merle I was "knocking on" a bit before I got my degree (lets say I was past 40!), and it's been a cherry on the cake for me.

I have 25 years *cough* experience in the quality / technical side of manufacturing, and I've been very fortunate to have been mentored and encouraged by "Old School" quality bods and also some production people. I know how to do things the old, traditional ways. I'm also lucky enough to be working with an Op's manager that I've worked with in a number of different manufacturing units over the years, and an MD who has built the business through hard graft and getting out there and doing it with us, and they have also taught me a lot. 

A degree is nice (or essential if your dealing with some retailers) but it doesn't make up for experience.

Caz x

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users