• IFSQN Associate
  • 29 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:52 PM

Ok... couple questions seeking a little feedback  :headhurts:

1. Would anyone be willing to share a blank Pre-Shipment Review Log? I'm curious to know what everyone puts on there. 
  2. If your company produces FG in say a 2 day process, do you only do a Pre-Shipment review on finished goods or also WIP? So for example if we make product on day 1 into 5 lbs bags and on day 2 the 5lb bags are then cased into its final FG form of a 4/5 cs.

Hopefully that makes sense! Thanks for your opinions and input!  :spoton:  :spoton: 

Slab

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 443 posts
  • 210 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading (history, science fiction), Photography, drawing,food safety, metrology, TQM, hoplology, etc.

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:47 PM

Hi, RRF;

Could you provide a more comprehensive outline of your process?  

We are USDC/FDA HACCP and we don't perform a pre-shipment review log, but we do outbound inspection on vehicles.  

Our product is inspected throughout CP/CCP (up to six points) before master as finished product, and again when mastered for proper labeling. Once verified the product is released (unless requiring positive release by customer).

Food Safety News  Marine Stewardship Council

"Some people freak out when they see small vertebra in their pasta" ~ Chef John

RRF

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 29 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:51 PM

Hi, RRF;

Could you provide a more comprehensive outline of your process?  

We are USDC/FDA HACCP and we don't perform a pre-shipment review log, but we do outbound inspection on vehicles.  

Our product is inspected throughout CP/CCP (up to six points) before master as finished product, and again when mastered for proper labeling. Once verified the product is released (unless requiring positive release by customer).

Hi Slab, 

We are a USDA inspected facility and we manufacture RTE Not Shelf Stable (Alternative 3) product. Not sure if that is what you were asking for?

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:43 PM

Dear RRF,

FG = ? finished goods ?

WIP = ? work in progress ?

TFYA

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

djfitz1231

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 22 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:53 PM

Hi RRF,

I am a USDA inspected facility and we manufacture RTE Not Shelf Stable (Alternative 3) product. We cook our meat on day one and on day two we assemble, package and ship. On our cook and chill log we have our pre-shipment review that is signed off on the second day.

If a copy of the form would help you let me know your email address.

David

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:31 PM

Hi RRF,

I am a USDA inspected facility and we manufacture RTE Not Shelf Stable (Alternative 3) product. We cook our meat on day one and on day two we assemble, package and ship. On our cook and chill log we have our pre-shipment review that is signed off on the second day.

David

Dear djfitz,

Perhaps you could "summarise" the contents here also ?

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

RRF

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 29 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 14 February 2014 - 02:19 PM

Hi RRF,

David

David -

If you would email it to me at xxxxxxxxxxxx

Edited by Charles.C, 14 February 2014 - 02:56 PM.
email removed,please see next post

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 14 February 2014 - 02:55 PM

Dear RRF,

Apologies for removal of email address but no need to post directly if you think about it. The problem is that it acts as spammer bait.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

RRF

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 29 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 14 February 2014 - 02:57 PM

Dear RRF,

Apologies for removal of email address but no need to post directly if you think about it. The problem is that it acts as spammer bait.

Rgds / Charles.C

No worries. I tried to directly message them but it would not allow me to :-/

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,637 posts
  • 376 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 14 February 2014 - 05:59 PM

Your process may vary to the point that this isn't helpful, but we've identified our CCP review as the Pre-shipment review.

Our CCP is our Metal Detectors. At the end of each shift, the line leads sign off that they verified that everything occured as needed.

The next day, when we got through and verify that all the signatures occured as they were required, and that all the results were as they should be, we sign off on that. That becomes our pre-shipment review. It is labeled as such on the paperwork.

Setanta

-Setanta         

Slab

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 443 posts
  • 210 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading (history, science fiction), Photography, drawing,food safety, metrology, TQM, hoplology, etc.

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:31 PM

Ok, USDA.  The program would equate to roughly a positive release policy for us.  Nothing ships to consumer until all control documents are reviewed and signed.  

Here is another thread on the topic;

http://www.ifsqn.com...edure-examples/

Here is a notice on 9 CFR 417.5 ( c ) if you do not want to follow the previous thread;

Attached File  FSIS Notice.pdf   34.26KB   64 downloads

Food Safety News  Marine Stewardship Council

"Some people freak out when they see small vertebra in their pasta" ~ Chef John

TucsonFood-QA

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 May 2024 - 05:22 PM

Hi! I know this thread is a bit old, and I am in the same predicament. Our facility produces the components for the finished good 2 days in advance before assembling the Finished Good. So let me break it down a bit better:

Day 1: We make (cook & cool (USDA)) filling component and outer dough component.

Day 2: We assemble the product, cook, cool, package the finished good.

How would I go about doing a pre shipment review for this? Currently we are signing every single recipe and document and I feel there has to be an easier way. I'm signing over 50 documents daily as record review and pre shipment review. I would like to make this a more efficient process so I can dedicate time into improving programs and developing our team for SQF. If someone could share a template that would be great.

It is my understanding that pre shipment review is a snapshot of the process. So a summary of all ccps met before the product goes out the door?

Thank you for any help you guys can provide!

jfrey123

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 703 posts
  • 196 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 May 2024 - 06:22 PM

Documents as part of your production run should always be reviewed by somebody, but you could designate and train other personnel for review of most documents to help alleviate your daily load. 

We ended up creating a pre-release checklist at a spice plant we consulted for:  it listed the critical documents of a batch record and a checkbox to indicate those records were present in the record and were individually reviewed (pre-op inspections, CCP checks, etc.).  With all documents accounted for with no issues seen, the bottom of the form indicated whether the batch was approved or delayed/denied for release with the QA Manager's signature.

G M

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 572 posts
  • 111 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 June 2024 - 09:03 PM

It is my understanding that pre shipment review is a snapshot of the process. So a summary of all ccps met before the product goes out the door?

Thank you for any help you guys can provide!

Our pre-shipment review is simply having a second reviewer for CCP related HACCP records as part of the positive release system.   With important documents generally, a shift supervisor or other adequately trained people review them and add a signature to the bottom of the page -- the "pre-shipment review" is just a second round of that by other person, usually on the following shift (unless the material is on hold for environmental testing or something else that creates an extended release timeline).

REF

CFR title9 vol2 sec417.5

( c) Prior to shipping product, the establishment shall review the records associated with the production of that product, documented in accordance with this section, to ensure completeness, including the determination that all critical limits were met and, if appropriate, corrective actions were taken, including the proper disposition of product. Where practicable, this review shall be conducted, dated, and signed by an individual who did not produce the record(s), preferably by someone trained in accordance with §417.7 of this part, or the responsible establishment official.

Edited by G M, 06 June 2024 - 09:04 PM.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users