• Quick Navigation
Photo

After HACCP which GFSI certification should go first?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic
- - - - -

dj.E

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 15 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:56 AM

Hi I need help.  :helpplease:Your opinions would really help us out.

The food  plant I work at just recently got accredited for HACCP last year. It took us about a year and a half to prepare for it. Now our corporate office has hinted that we may need to upgrade our systems and gain other certifications for us to reach our goal of becoming truly world class.

My dilemma is that with so many certifications, I personally get confused as to what to choose from - QMS, FSSC, ISO 9000, 22000 etc. Any suggestions on what we should be preparing for in the next few years? Which should we start with first?

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 12 March 2014 - 08:41 AM

Hi I need help.  :helpplease:Your opinions would really help us out.

The food  plant I work at just recently got accredited for HACCP last year. It took us about a year and a half to prepare for it. Now our corporate office has hinted that we may need to upgrade our systems and gain other certifications for us to reach our goal of becoming truly world class.

My dilemma is that with so many certifications, I personally get confused as to what to choose from - QMS, FSSC, ISO 9000, 22000 etc. Any suggestions on what we should be preparing for in the next few years? Which should we start with first?

Dear dj.excalante,

If you try looking through the numerous recent threads on this topic, you will see there are a variety of factors involved in the decision.

Comparisons of the various safety standards (ie not iso 9000) are given in some detail but will obviously relate to yr own business (?).

Regardless,  i think the most accepted first priority answer is that it depends on what your customers require. 

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

teodymayojr

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 26 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 13 March 2014 - 01:30 AM

Mr. Charles.C is correct. For food manufacturers/retailers GFSI audits is a good option (FSSC, IFS, BRC). We have 22000 (from 9001) but customers still want us to have GFSI. We then decided to focus on this and later on dropped our 22000. 

it really depends on what your customer requires. 

Thanked by 1 Member:

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,836 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 14 March 2014 - 07:52 PM

The next certification you choose should be suitable for your products and processes and be acceptable to your customers.  Also take a look at your competitors and see what certifications they hold.  

If you do choose a GFSI approved standard you will not need to hold separate HACCP Certification; as HACCP is a fundamental part of GFSI standards and as such is covered by your GFSI standard certification.  I hope that's clear, I'm a little tired and need a glass of wine and some R & R. :bye:

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users