Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 13 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 12 March 2014 - 06:50 PM

I was wondering if somebody has a Allergen policy they would like to share as I am struggling a little, our facility is free allergens, and we are thinking of storing frozen cook crustaceans (finished product) in our cold storage.

Thank you in advance!

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 12 March 2014 - 11:14 PM

I was wondering if somebody has a Allergen policy they would like to share as I am struggling a little, our facility is free allergens, and we are thinking of storing frozen cook crustaceans (finished product) in our cold storage.

Thank you in advance!

Dear hmacdonald,

Not quite sure if you are a seafood processor or just a cold storage facility.

Assuming the former, maybe have a look at these threads -

http://www.ifsqn.com...icy/#entry58950

http://www.ifsqn.com...ure/#entry51372

The "Policies" are generally a short / long statement regarding the achievement of compliance to legislatory norms with/without procedural details. The style / detail relate to Company philosophy / specific objective. :smile:

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

hmacdonald

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 13 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 13 March 2014 - 05:01 PM

Hi Charles,

Thank you for your reply. We are processing fruits not containing allergens in our facility. But we are thinking of storing frozen finished product of crustaceans in our cold storage. Do you have any suggestions or samples of allergen policy for this case.

Thank you in advance.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 14 March 2014 - 03:18 PM

Hi Charles,

Thank you for your reply. We are processing fruits not containing allergens in our facility. But we are thinking of storing frozen finished product of crustaceans in our cold storage. Do you have any suggestions or samples of allergen policy for this case.

Thank you in advance.

Dear hmacdonald,

Implement a policy of segregation.

The degree of segregation required will presumably depend on the assessed risk(s) of cross-contamination. And perhaps an intended certification standard, if any.

There are some related threads here (eg for SQF) where requirements of storage of variously allergenic  input ingredients are discussed.

Could be expensive if you get it wrong. Either way.

Reminds me of Cold storages which mix seafood and chicken. Not exactly recommended. :smile:

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

hmacdonald

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 13 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 26 March 2014 - 05:54 PM

Thank you again Charles, still not sure how to write our policy, we have 3 big freezer we are thinking of using one big freezer for just storing the frozen crustaceans they are package in other location not in our facility, they will just use our cold storage for storing, and the 2 big freezer for our frozen fruits like cranberries, strawberries, do you have any allergen policy or procedure similar to our case, thank you

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 26 March 2014 - 08:54 PM

Thank you again Charles, still not sure how to write our policy, we have 3 big freezer we are thinking of using one big freezer for just storing the frozen crustaceans they are package in other location not in our facility, they will just use our cold storage for storing, and the 2 big freezer for our frozen fruits like cranberries, strawberries, do you have any allergen policy or procedure similar to our case, thank you

Dear hmacdonald,

Personally my (QA) recommendation (for co-located allergenic/non-allergenic foods)  would to be not to do "it" unless, and i know it's a cliche, a satisfactory (allergen) risk assessment is available and validated.

= Policy ?

Rgds / Charles.C

PS - and the answer to yr next question will be - it depends on the specific details, eg legislation, contract, storage geometry, etc :smile:

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

QRS

Grade - Active

• 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 02 April 2014 - 12:13 PM

Hi hmacdonald,

I'm just attempting to think through an Allergen policy myself... 

What standard are you certified to? 

Do you currently have an Allergen Policy / Work Instruction in place? I tend to write one into every program as well as including it into my HACCP Analysis to show that it has been considered. The only ones that I can think of for fruit would be the sulpher pads of grapes... Prob a few others as well.

So in the Work Instruction / procedure perhaps you could have several headings ie 'Which section of Food Standards relate (ie in Australia there is the FSANZ guidlelines which are the Food Standard Australia and New Zealand' which covers all topics).

Perhaps section headings including: Storage, Monitoring, The Receival, handling and storage of the Allergenic products, Labelling requirements / checks, cleaning of freezer (and in the cleaning Work Instructions go into further details) and training of staff.

Not sure if that helps at all... 

QRS

Grade - Active

• 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 02 April 2014 - 12:17 PM

Further on to what Charles was saying in relation to a segregation policy perhaps you could write a risk assessment showing that you have considered all risks and shows that you have minimised all risks ie sepreate receival times of seafood product to fresh produce, location of freezer, isolation of product etc proving you have minimised risk of any cross contamination...

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 03 April 2014 - 03:49 AM

Dear hmacdonald/QRS,

In respect to both allergens and writing policies in general, you may find this thead/discussion of some interest -

http://www.ifsqn.com...icy/#entry58950

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Bhavin Raval

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 41 posts
  • 21 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India
  • Interests:Food Safety, Quality Management Systems, Microbiology, Meditation

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:44 AM

Attached File  Allergen management-SOP37.doc   109KB   353 downloadsAttached File  allergen policy.pdf   80.14KB   380 downloadsHi,

Please find the attached allergen policy and SOP that i had made for one of my employer.

Regards

Bhavin :spoton:

Edited by Bhavin Raval, 03 April 2014 - 08:46 AM.

Thanked by 2 Members:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 03 April 2014 - 01:30 PM

attachicon.gifAllergen management-SOP37.docattachicon.gifallergen policy.pdfHi,

Please find the attached allergen policy and SOP that i had made for one of my employer.

Regards

Bhavin :spoton:

Dear Bhavin Raval,

Thks for the input although i did find the Policy document of rather limited (operational) scope.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users