• Quick Navigation
Photo

Is food contact approval documentation another name for an MSDS sheet?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic
- - - - -

paconmatt

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 33 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:21 PM

For an Aib audit when they say they need food contact approval documentation is this another name for MSDS sheet.  If I supply MSDS sheet is that enough to satisfy the inspector.

sfrank

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:31 PM

If I understand what you are asking correctly, the auditor is looking for some sort of Certificate of Analysis or Certificate of Conformance from the suppliers of your facility's food contact materials (such as packaging). Your supplier should be familiar with this request.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:18 PM

Dear paconmatt,

There is a recent thread in another standard's forum here (i think) with a very similar query to the above OP. From memory, the conclusion was that MSDS sheet insufficient due lack of appropriate food-related content, as indicated in previous post.

More specifically, if you are referring to food contact packaging, you probably need a confimatory statement as to the "Food Grade" status.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

monkeyman

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 43 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:43 AM

MSDS will not do, as Charles C. says you need certification from the supplier which references the relevant legislation. In the UK we reference the EU regs but I guess in the STates you have equivalent FDA rules. We also do some spot testing with a lab in Germany which confirms that the materials are indedd food grade. 

Thanked by 1 Member:

oronogirl

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 23 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:29 PM

Here in Canada we require a Letter of No Objection for evidence of a food grade status.

See below:

http://inspection.gc...9/1375038784748

Thanked by 1 Member:

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 08 May 2014 - 06:27 AM

For an Aib audit when they say they need food contact approval documentation is this another name for MSDS sheet.  If I supply MSDS sheet is that enough to satisfy the inspector.

The specification should stipulate that the material is 'food grade' or 'suitable for use in contact with food'.

This should be backed up by some evidence, for example from food packaging suppliers you would want 'migration certificates' for the packaging in contact with the same type of product and intended use (e.g. ready meal in microwaveable tray).

Regards,

Tony

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users