• IFSQN Associate
  • 32 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• New Zealand
    New Zealand

Posted 19 May 2014 - 01:53 AM

Hi All,

Seeking knowledge, leads, experience. We are a manufacturer of burger patties. We only produce raw patties for customers to cook up in their restaurant via a broiler. 

We've had some product returned on the basis that the product was puffing up (air pocket in the center) during cook up. 

We are trying to determine what the cause was for this issue. Our initial thoughts were potential temperature abuse, excessive pressure on forming, perforation depth possibly not being deep enough. We are investigating these possible concerns. I was trying to find some scientific literature about this but have not been able to. Just stuff from home cooks in forums.

Has anyone come across this before or possibly have any literature to refer me too?

Thanks

Loshantha

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 19 May 2014 - 02:18 AM

hi there,

this could be due to the patties not being compressed enough through the compacting process.

Ragga

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 32 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• New Zealand
    New Zealand

Posted 19 May 2014 - 02:27 AM

Thanks Loshantha,

Is this something you have experienced? Can you explain the science behind it by any chance?

Dharmadi Sadeli Putra

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 161 posts
  • 26 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 19 May 2014 - 02:32 AM

Dear Ragga,

Maybe it caused by high fat content and other non meat ingredients as fillers/extender.

Rgds,

Avila

Loshantha

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 19 May 2014 - 02:46 AM

Hi there,

Compacting meat (meat only) reduces the air pockets and therefore reduces the height the patty will rise during the cooking process.

If you have other components in the patty such as vegetables or thickening agents.. this may cause the patty to rise as well.

My input taking into account that any heating.. air or liquid will cause expansion.

Ragga

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 32 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• New Zealand
    New Zealand

Posted 19 May 2014 - 03:45 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys, the product is 100% beef. I've looked at records and can't find any indication of pressure variation away from what we've been doing with previous production that has had no issues.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users