• IFSQN Active
  • 19 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• New Zealand
    New Zealand

Posted 21 May 2014 - 07:41 AM

Someone wouldn't have a nice detailed wood policy would they? 8D
The one in the files won't open for me....maybe because it's a docx? I'm on an ipad

We need to implement a pretty tight wood policy and are looking at ideally changing to plastic pallets only, is this what usually solves the problem of messy wooden pallets in the production area.

fgjuadi

Grade - PIFSQN

• Banned
  • 898 posts
  • 203 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 May 2014 - 11:00 AM

Wood policies are usually pretty short and clear cut - Don;t buy wooden things, no wood in the production area.  Here/s four or five examples, all about a paragraph long -

http://www.ifsqn.com...40-wood-policy/

Edited by magenta_majors, 21 May 2014 - 11:01 AM.

.--. .- -. - ... / --- .--. - .. --- -. .- .-..

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 21 May 2014 - 04:48 PM

Which one is it, maybe I can re-save a copy in another version.

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Marrok

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 19 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• New Zealand
    New Zealand

Posted 22 May 2014 - 08:11 AM

http://www.ifsqn.com...22-wood-policy/
That is the page it's on, though I read what you posted and asked my QA manager for a risk assessment form.
He took me through the process of assessing risk for the whole factory and showed me what has been done, as well as the reports of two
Audits which have been done recently and the list of non conformities....I think they are called.
I'm pretty new to this and just been made QC so learning but my QA manager has just been employed and seems really experienced. His aim is to bring the factory upto international standards and ultimately BRC I understand.

There's different kinds of pallets we use mostly chep blue ones but at least 25% are damaged in some way and the other weaker pallets leave wood chips constantly! after reading what I have now I'm thinking of controls and documentation, inspections and cleaning, my QA suggests this is something I can do so for a start I can make sure only good pallets are around the production corridors and storage areas, over time I may be able to eliminate wooden pallets from production rooms. There is a wooden pallet that our glass jars come on which is wrapped in quite a strong plastic and we'll contained, perhaps i could suggest boundary lines for it in the packing room.

Our ingredients room also has wooden pallets in it, I've read that it can be ok as long as open bags etc are put into a container and they are cleaned and inspected, so plastic pallets are considered expensive but isn't everything to a business lol, does anyone know the price exactly?

does anyone know where I could find examples of the documents for inspecting, cleaning etc wooden pallets.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 22 May 2014 - 04:32 PM

Dear Marrok,

I'm rather curious as to yr QA setup. There appears to be, as yet, no documented QA program ? And a team of 2 ?

If very small group, you might consider suggesting to the QA Mngr that a training course on HACCP would be a useful Company investment. It's a typical, not hugely expensive, and often invaluable, starting point.

Even qualified Food Scientists IMEX are often inexperienced regarding topics like risk assessment.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Marrok

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 19 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• New Zealand
    New Zealand

Posted 23 May 2014 - 06:35 AM

Yes we'll I guess your right, the set up is a new QA manager with experience in implementing haccp QA plans etc
Up until now the lab tech had been doing his best, it sounds like by your standards we would be a fairly small operation.
The new QA manager, and new Operations manager offered me a QC position, I myself have only worked here for 4 months now.
The QA manager showed me the factories haccp risk assessment plan and briefly explained how it works to assess the CCPs, in the near future
He wants to sit down with the HAccp team and go through everything in it. They also explained I would be doing haccp training.
The goal is to bring the current New Zealand haccp plan upto woolworths standard in 2 years then BRC beyond that.
I'm not sure as I'm just learning but I think the New Zealand standards are a little different from international standards.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 23 May 2014 - 09:57 AM

Dear Marrok,

Thks for response.

I deduce you are basically new to HACCP. It may depend on yr current technical background but  you might try a little familiarisation via reading some available materials.

For example the HACCP book by Mortimore/Wallace is IMO as good as it gets at intelligibly/fluently  explaining the methodology from a starting ground level haccp baseline. Now in 3-4 editions but the majority of the basic stuff is pretty much unchanged and the volume is available as Google book if your facility is low on tech.backup.

Going up one level, the Canadian Advantage presentations offer a complete do-it-yourself volume on HACCP with detailed templates/explanations  for all the basic prerequisites and very neat worked examples on hazard analyses and related basics. Starts from ground level. The volume is available on this forum already in various places.

Many other more detailed resources exist here but IMEX the toughest part is first understanding the basics.

From my experience, NZ is, as you say, occasionally somewhat individual in its risk assessment et al approach but mostly in a good way IMO. AFAIK, a lot of the NZ legislatory material is now unified with Australia  via ANZFA, AQIS etc.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Marrok

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 19 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• New Zealand
    New Zealand

Posted 25 May 2014 - 07:27 AM

Oh thanks
Yea I'm as new as you could get to haccp etc
I've mostly worked on small fishing boats with no food safety anything, I guess that all happens at the factories
However iv gotten this job and they just so happen to be taking abit of a journey in their food standards
So because of my attitude they enlisted me as QC and I'm willing to learn.
I've bought the third edition of mortimore/wallace practical guide to haccp as an ebook and can start studying it now, thanks

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users