• 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 02 July 2014 - 05:10 PM

You know... sometimes I hate my life. :helpplease:

So we were reviewing an internal audit on TS22002 13.6 which states:

Where permitted by law, employees shall be required to report the following conditions to management for

possible exclusion from food-handling areas: jaundice, diarrhoea, vomiting, fever, sore throat with fever,

visibly infected skin lesions (boils, cuts or sores) and discharges from the ear, eye or nose.

So being a professional (and an idiot) I decide to determine if it is within legality to require employees to report if they have such conditions.

I have found within 21CFR110.10 a provision that states:

The plant management shall take all reasonable measures and precautions to ensure the following:

(a)Disease control. Any person who, by medical examination or supervisory observation, is shown to have, or appears to have, an illness, open lesion, including boils, sores, or infected wounds, or any other abnormal source of microbial contamination by which there is a reasonable possibility of food, food-contact surfaces, or food-packaging materials becoming contaminated, shall be excluded from any operations which may be expected to result in such contamination until the condition is corrected. Personnel shall be instructed to report such health conditions to their supervisors.

So.. so far I have found the federal legal statute.  Now I have to find the appropriate state statute... if one exists.

So this isn't so much a question as a vent...  But if anyone happens to know if New York State has anything like this... feel free to drop it on me.

Thanks

:doctor:

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mr. Incognito

:tardis:

Mr. Incognito is a cool frood who can travel the width and breadth of the galaxy and still know where his towel is.

fgjuadi

Grade - PIFSQN

• Banned
  • 898 posts
  • 203 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 July 2014 - 06:32 PM

http://www.agricultu.../knowledge.html

Maybe this one?  This is for people who have failed, but I'd look at that organization for the actual requirement

Edited by magenta_majors, 02 July 2014 - 06:36 PM.

.--. .- -. - ... / --- .--. - .. --- -. .- .-..

Thanked by 1 Member:

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 02 July 2014 - 06:58 PM

hmmm... at first I thought that was more geared toward inherent food risk based on the food like raw milk until I reread and saw:

(b) The responsibility of the person-in-charge, or his or her designee for preventing the transmission of foodborne disease by a food employee who has a disease or medical condition that may cause foodborne disease;

interesting.  I did look around on the NY A&M site for a hot minute but didn't see anything directly pertaining to food manufacturers requiring notification of disease.

Currently I have just forwarded the CFR and FSSC information to our corporate offices for our corporate quality to review and to review with our lawyers if they so choose :shades:  (Buck passed achieved).  As always once you start talking about requiring people to tell you about illness people start to get nervous so I'll leave it in their hands right now.  But I'll look at this more and look at more NY A&M sections to see if they have anything direct there.

Thanks Magenta

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mr. Incognito

:tardis:

Mr. Incognito is a cool frood who can travel the width and breadth of the galaxy and still know where his towel is.

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 July 2014 - 11:20 PM

Have you looked through your Health District codes?  Many states now regulate that through their health districts. 

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users