• Banned
  • 898 posts
  • 203 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 July 2014 - 07:35 PM

Hi

So our restrooms have stalls, and it is standard for there to be a little gap between the door and the side, maybe 1/8in?

My problem is that the mirrors/sinks are directly infront of the stalls, and employees are doing this weird thing where they put strips of toilet paper up to block the gap.  The toilet paper doesn't usually stay up long - when someone opens the door or uses the hook it will fall.  By the end of the day, it looks like our employees are taking hooker baths in the toilets, with TP strewn everywhere.

I've explained to them that no one is watching them pee in the mirror, and if someone is watching them pee then they need to report it to HR ASAP becuase we don't want a creepo working with us, but they insist on the toilet paper for privacy.  Is this a cultural thing? I've never seen it before.

I can't find any stard or code that barrs this practice, and it's in a restroom, not a processing facility, but it looks terrible, and I don't particularly want employees reaching down to the RR floor to pick it up every time they walk through. 

Any thoughts on how to stop this rampant and senseless toilet paper abuse? Moving the mirror/sink is too costly to justify, and we don't have space for it

.--. .- -. - ... / --- .--. - .. --- -. .- .-..

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,596 posts
  • 369 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:00 PM

If moving the mirrors is too expensive, buying new, tigher fitting doors most certainly is.

Can you try smaller mirrors, or the moving mirrors ONLY and putting a suggestion box up asking employees what could the company do to stop this mess.

Setanta

-Setanta         

fgjuadi

Grade - PIFSQN

• Banned
  • 898 posts
  • 203 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:12 PM

moving mirrors ONLY

I like this.  There's really no reason they have to have a mirror above the sink / in the bathroom, I guess. 

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,596 posts
  • 369 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:14 PM

Especially if you tell people WHY they can't have nice things, I mean, why the mirrors are being moved, maybe PEER pressure will make the toilet-paper-jammers stop their rampage!!!

Edited by Setanta, 03 July 2014 - 08:14 PM.

-Setanta         

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:27 PM

I have had this problem many times and there weren't mirrors in front of the stalls.  So moving the mirrors may not solve the problem.  That tiny gap is common.  We found it very difficult to stop in some facilities.  

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

Ragga

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 32 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• New Zealand
    New Zealand

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:04 PM

I can't say i've come across this before, but generally I've seen if there is on-going "temporary repairs" by more than one person, possibly a maintenance fix may help). If you can't stop people using toilet paper to screen the gap. Could perhaps engineers be asked to place a low cost seal in that may block the view?

Staff may appreciate your efforts, restrooms would be clear of mess, and you could save on toilet paper costs.

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 04 July 2014 - 03:27 AM

Are these unisex rest rooms?

fgjuadi

Grade - PIFSQN

• Banned
  • 898 posts
  • 203 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 04 July 2014 - 12:41 PM

They are not unisex bathrooms, but this phenomenon us only in the women's bathroom.  I don't understand how my employees  pee in public places like the airport or movie theater  The men don't have any problems whippin it out to use a urinal.  The doors aren't any different than any other public bathroom door.  I should have done more google research - apparently enough people have this problem that home depot carries this -

http://www.homedepot...ci_src=17588969

I can't believe this has been going on for so long when then answer was so easy :doh: I don't even need the mechanic for this one :lol:

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 04 July 2014 - 01:03 PM

Seems your ladies are a little paranoid unless there are a lot of 'peekers' at your place!

At least you have found a simple solution to keep the troops quiet :thumbup:

Miss Tammy

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 70 posts
  • 13 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Interior decorating, swimming, reading anything, reality TV, keeping up with 3 Grandbabies under 2 years old!

Posted 04 July 2014 - 02:20 PM

I couldnt help but laugh when I read your post.  We had the same problem, but I thought we were unique!  The more I read in this forum, the more I realize we all share many of the same issues.  Our maintenace guys installed a square shapped strip of foam between the door and the wall.  The foam "gives" when the door is opened and returns to shape when closed. 

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:40 PM

I can't say i've come across this before,

It sometimes is culture based.

I Our maintenace guys installed a square shapped strip of foam between the door and the wall.  The foam "gives" when the door is opened and returns to shape when closed. 

I have seen this as well with varying results.

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users