• Quick Navigation
Photo

Suitable Cabinet Materials for use in Production Areas

Share this

Best Answer , 10 July 2014 - 10:30 PM

I often used the tall Rubbermaid type of cabinets.  They won't rust, are not reactive to chemicals and you can find brands that are much cheaper than Rubbermaid.  They can also be locked up if need be. 

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic
- - - - -

Caboose

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 16 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 July 2014 - 06:08 PM

What can cabinets be made out of in the main production area? We are looking to install some lockable cabinets (for holding sanitizes/tools) in the production area so I want to find out what they can be made of (or more importantly if there is something they can't be made of). I was thinking a regular steel cabinet since it won't be zone 1 or 2, but I wanted to double check since I'm relatively new at this.

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 July 2014 - 06:27 PM

Depends on the environment.  Most likely steel is your best choice, but if a wet environment you may want a plastic material. 

More information is needed to be of help.  What type of products, what kind of environment?

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

Caboose

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 16 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 July 2014 - 06:39 PM

We package dry powders, the bottom could get wet from mopping but there will not be any kind of spray water cleaning. If water did become a problem are there any kinds of plastics that can't be used/are there any cabinets you recommend?

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 July 2014 - 10:30 PM   Best Answer

I often used the tall Rubbermaid type of cabinets.  They won't rust, are not reactive to chemicals and you can find brands that are much cheaper than Rubbermaid.  They can also be locked up if need be. 

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

Thanked by 1 Member:

IndraNH

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 14 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 11 July 2014 - 02:07 AM

for additional you may put frame support on the bottom of the cabinet so you can assure cleanliness of the floor

Thanked by 1 Member:

Jim E.

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 167 posts
  • 25 thanks
Good

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:Sports of course.
    Food safety for all things eaten not just what we make.
    Being able to see my kids grow up in healthy environment.

Posted 18 July 2014 - 02:35 PM

We use metal cabinets throughout our facility.  Many have been constructed of stainless steel. And as Indra commented we have all cabinets raised off the floor for easy cleaning underneath. Also have the tops sloped so material can not be stored on top of them.

Edited by Jim E., 18 July 2014 - 02:38 PM.

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 July 2014 - 04:19 PM

We use metal cabinets throughout our facility.  Many have been constructed of stainless steel. And as Indra commented we have all cabinets raised off the floor for easy cleaning underneath. Also have the tops sloped so material can not be stored on top of them.

Sloping is a great idea as your right, it easy for them to become catch-alls which drive me crazy.  These cabinets can't be cheap, do you have them custom made?  Why type of environment do you have?

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

Jim E.

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 167 posts
  • 25 thanks
Good

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:Sports of course.
    Food safety for all things eaten not just what we make.
    Being able to see my kids grow up in healthy environment.

Posted 18 July 2014 - 05:46 PM

We have a wet and dry environment.  The stainless ones are all located in wet areas, they don't rust.  We have like school lockers through out the plant with our staffs PPE's and tools stored.  We try and keep them in dry areas.  They seem to work well so far knock on wood. :sorcerer:

Edited by Jim E., 18 July 2014 - 05:47 PM.

Thanked by 2 Members:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 19 July 2014 - 04:17 AM

Dear Caboose,

IMEX for a wet, salty environment, SS of an appropriate Grade is simply unbeatable. Any attached Workshop facility of reasonable quality should know the minimum requirements and be able to knock them up for you. The Grade is relevant unless you like brown spots everywhere.

Tried various cheaper homemade alternatives, all failed although protected mild steel is popular for equipment suppliers and generally seems to work for a reasonable lifetime. Maybe proprietary.

More friendly situations / cost tend to promote variations. Personally i would stick with SS.

Rgds / Charles.C

PS - i have audited flour mixing facilities put together with 2nd-hand equipment on a budget, mainly "mild steel". Some items look fine, some have had successive repaint jobs giving an ugly overall appearance. And similarly for the cabinets. :smile:

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Prudence

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 14 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:28 PM

Whatever type of cabinet you put in, it needs to be

a) clear of the floor for cleaning beneath - as already mentioned

b) cleaned out regularly - it will get product dust inside and consequently, if neglected, get insects or even mice in it!

Transparent doors on production area storage cabinets have many benefits....!

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users