• Quick Navigation
Photo

Head coverings....how do you handle them?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

ShannonH

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 17 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:24 PM

Ok, so this was a new one to me and I apologize if this has been addressed but I was not able to find and answer in a quick search.  We require all staff to wear hair nets.  That being said what do you do if someone wants to wear a baseball cap?  Does it just have to be covered?  Should we ban them all together?  Also what if the hat is religious such as a yamaka, then how do we address the situation without being discriminating?  Anyone else have this issue?  I tend to be pretty straight line- if the policy is no hats then that means none at all.

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:31 PM

It depends on the environment and the hat.  In some of plants where staff are working in really cold rooms, we have allowed sweater caps as long as they are covered with a hairnet. Same thing for the hair coverings worn by Muslims.  I have not had to deal with a Yakama.  My concern with the Yamaka is that often they use bobby pins to keep them on and my concern is that the bobby pin is going to become a foreign object. 

Generally speaking ball caps have been excluded from the plants I have been in.  They don't provide warmth, they are not religious (although I understand some people view sports that way) and what is the necessity? 

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

Ekivlen

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 57 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:36 PM

I generally don't allow baseball caps as they don't really serve a bona fide purpose. As well, they tend to not be very sanitary.

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:59 PM

I worked in one plant where ballcaps were allowed under the first Quality Manager.  After she left the next quality manager disallowed the wearing of ballcaps/hats with the explanation that they can be full of germ/disease/bacteria/dirt/etc and there is no way to know if they are clean. 

Please see post #14 on this thread for my full dissertation I have previously posted on ballcaps (hats of any kind): http://www.ifsqn.com...-culture/page-2

As for religious headwear the general consensus that was come to was the idea stated by Magenta "Basically, we won't send anyone to hell, but we won't allow religious stuff if it isn't *mandated* by the religion". Which is somewhat the same in what I've found looking at different countries thoughts on the subject.

http://www.ifsqn.com...ing/#entry73281

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mr. Incognito

:tardis:

Mr. Incognito is a cool frood who can travel the width and breadth of the galaxy and still know where his towel is.

ncwingnut

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 94 posts
  • 21 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Horses, Boxer dogs, cross stitch, MMORPGs, regulatory affairs stuff...and on and on....

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:02 PM

Any head coverings (ball caps, scarves, etc) have to be covered by a hair net.  We do allow them,but they have to be covered.

Slab

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 438 posts
  • 208 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading (history, science fiction), Photography, drawing,food safety, metrology, TQM, hoplology, etc.

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:07 PM

As, Snookie as advised it depends on the product/process and how PPE is properly donned.  

Any "street" clothing needs to be adequately contained by PPE in high risk product/processing. Head gear is no different in terms of possible contamination than any other personal clothing.  

Head gear is a great primary barrier for hair restraint as long as  it's constrained in consolidation with PPE.

Food Safety News  Marine Stewardship Council

"Some people freak out when they see small vertebra in their pasta" ~ Chef John

aesahaetr_eldest

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 37 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 17 July 2014 - 04:20 AM

your problem almost same with me, i have problem with beard, because moslem almost all have beard

so we use beard nest in hygiene area,

can anyone share beard nest supplier?

fgjuadi

Grade - PIFSQN

• Banned
  • 898 posts
  • 203 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:01 AM

beard nest

Couldnt resist. You probably  mean beard net though.

All of the big suppliers carry beard nets, grainger, uline, and amazon are big ones, but they're wildly available.

.--. .- -. - ... / --- .--. - .. --- -. .- .-..

Thanked by 1 Member:

KevinB

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 53 posts
  • 9 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:52 AM

I have to agree with Mr. I we do not allow them for the same reason. when I explain why we do not allow them in our GMP training, I always ask the individual if they wear baseball caps. If the answer is yes my next question is when was the last time you washed the one. I can count on one hand the number of people that can give me an answer other than never.

Kevin

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:56 AM

I have to agree with Mr. I we do not allow them for the same reason. when I explain why we do not allow them in our GMP training, I always ask the individual if they wear baseball caps. If the answer is yes my next question is when was the last time you washed the one. I can count on one hand the number of people that can give me an answer other than never.

Kevin

It's also the same argument I use for cell phones to operators.  If you have a problem with people using cell phones ask them if they ever use it in the bathroom.  Ask them how often they clean their phone.  It's easy to get them to see the logic... even if they don't agree with it.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mr. Incognito

:tardis:

Mr. Incognito is a cool frood who can travel the width and breadth of the galaxy and still know where his towel is.

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,599 posts
  • 369 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 17 July 2014 - 12:21 PM

All of the big suppliers carry beard nets, grainger, uline, and amazon are big ones, but they're wildly available.

And you probably mean widely. <evil grin>

Edited by Setanta, 17 July 2014 - 12:21 PM.

-Setanta         

fgjuadi

Grade - PIFSQN

• Banned
  • 898 posts
  • 203 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 17 July 2014 - 02:07 PM

Indead I did.  XD

.--. .- -. - ... / --- .--. - .. --- -. .- .-..

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 17 July 2014 - 04:43 PM

Indead I did.  XD

I don't know with Magenta wildly might have been a valid answer.  :rofl2:  :roflmao:  It is one of things we love about her. 

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

Thanked by 1 Member:

annyegu

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• France
    France

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:16 PM

hair net

Kelly S

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 96 posts
  • 36 thanks
Good

• Australia
    Australia
  • Interests:Sci Fi Geek, Book Lover, Chef-in-my-own-kitchen, Eclectic Music Collector

Posted 18 July 2014 - 03:33 AM

IMEX Hats/turbans/etc for religious reasons can be left on but must be covered with a hair net. Beanies in cold environments/weather were also allowed but again had to be completely covered with a hair net. Caps have never been allowed anywhere I have worked. At the end of the day they serve no real purpose unless you are outside in the sun and then it's more than likely that they're not wearing a hairnet to begin with. 

“Will this be on the test?" "Yeah, about the test. The test will measure whether you are an informed, engaged, and productive citizen of the world, and it will take place in schools and bars and hospitals and dorm rooms and in places of worship. You will be tested on first dates, in job interviews, while watching football, and while scrolling through your Twitter feed. The test will judge your ability to think about things other than celebrity marriages, whether you’ll be easily persuaded by empty political rhetoric, and whether you’ll be able to place your life and your community in a broader context. The test will last your entire life, and it will be comprised of the millions of decisions, that when taken together, make your life yours. And everything — EVERYTHING — will be on it.”

-  John Green

chris j

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 14 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 July 2014 - 12:51 PM

We do not allow any hats or headwear. Only the hair net. If it was colder than 57 degrees in the facility we might make exceptions.

BarrieT

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 41 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Brass/Military Banding

Posted 28 July 2014 - 02:05 PM

Indead I did.  XD

This could go on......! :lol2:

Thanked by 1 Member:

Mateo

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 22 February 2017 - 01:24 AM

Ok, so this was a new one to me and I apologize if this has been addressed but I was not able to find and answer in a quick search.  We require all staff to wear hair nets.  That being said what do you do if someone wants to wear a baseball cap?  Does it just have to be covered?  Should we ban them all together?  Also what if the hat is religious such as a yamaka, then how do we address the situation without being discriminating?  Anyone else have this issue?  I tend to be pretty straight line- if the policy is no hats then that means none at all.

I am currently looking after on some practices for wearing of religious clothing and the this one is the closest thread I have searched.

For the company I am working with, wearing of head cap or head mob is strictly implemented. However, it was observed that there is a need to consider on the guideline those religious clothing worn by some of the employees such as hadjib and turban.

How is this religious clothing controlled in other companies? Is it required to wear head mob to cover the head dress? How about if these clothing is worn as street clothing? Is it right to require them to change clothing to be worn inside the food factory?

Your comments is highly appreciated. Thank you very much.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users