• Quick Navigation
Photo

GMO Free Claim What is required to have this declaration?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

DavidAR

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 116 posts
  • 13 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:29 AM

I currently work for a small local ltd based in United Kingdom a company producing a small range of products containing very few ingredients.

They have been using the GM free claim logo but have since been advised by our BRC consultant that we don't have enough work done to make the claim. (what work specifically he refers to is not so clear at this point)

So what works are required to make the claim stick?

We have supplier audits stating that they are a GM free site to which they have provided policy document. 

If our site is GM free by sourcing materials from only GM free sites is this not enough to make the claim?

Is there a test that can be performed by a lab to validate our product being free from GM?

Any advice welcome

jkoratich712

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 99 posts
  • 19 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food, books, bakeries, coffee, HACCP, sanitation

Posted 21 August 2014 - 11:21 AM

We produce a GMO free product and although we have letters saying that all ingredients are GMO free, we have also sent each ingredient out for testing to ensure that they are. We also send out finished product for testing as well. We don't use a GMO free claim logo - so I am not sure what the requirements are for that. Our product has to be GMO free due to where we are shipping, and these are the steps that we have taken.

DavidAR

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 116 posts
  • 13 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 23 August 2014 - 07:23 PM

so when you send a sample for testing what test do they conduct? i mean how would they test for a genetically modified genome?

is it expensive?

Do they have to compare your sample X against every known GMO version of it?

I do not want to sound stupid: " Dear Lab please test this for GMO"  id like to think there is a specific set of tests designed specifically for testing this fact. This problem is causing me a little headache as i dont have that great a knowledge of laboratory testing. 

Our main ingredients include Wheat flour to which i am told there is no GM variant being used currently in england and our other ingredients are mostly food coloring's and with that the suppliers claim is that at the moment we do not use gmo ingredients but do not guarantee that there isn't any within there products.

Slab

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 441 posts
  • 209 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading (history, science fiction), Photography, drawing,food safety, metrology, TQM, hoplology, etc.

Posted 24 August 2014 - 06:30 AM

Hi, David;

The most accurate method is Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR), which is genetic testing. 

Not sure about UK regulations on organics, but in Canada and the US if you source 100% organic you can forgo the testing to prove non-GMO.

Food Safety News  Marine Stewardship Council

"Some people freak out when they see small vertebra in their pasta" ~ Chef John

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:39 AM

Dear David,

so when you send a sample for testing what test do they conduct? i mean how would they test for a genetically modified genome?

Defining what is a GMO is somewhat subjective, particularly in relation to “percentages” and  “thresholds”.

Document attached (2012) surveys the European viewpoint (= UK, :dunno: ) and gives a fairly heavyweight description of the testing methodology. Some paracetamol is suggested in close proximity :smile:

Attached File  how to test for GMOs.pdf   1.52MB   63 downloads

There are numerous threads here on this topic, especially regarding EU / USA.

For UK (and US) can maybe try the links in this post/thread -

http://www.ifsqn.com...ent/#entry65800

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users