6 Declaration of compound ingredients
(1) A compound ingredient must be declared in the statement of ingredients either –
(a) by declaring the compound ingredient by name in its appropriate place in the statement of ingredients, and listing its ingredients in brackets after the name of the compound ingredient, in descending order of ingoing weight in the compound ingredient, as specified in the Table to this clause; or
(b) by declaring all of the ingredients of the compound ingredient separately as if they were individual ingredients of the final food.
(2) However, paragraph 6(1)(a) does not apply to food standardised in Standard 2.9.2.
(3) The ingredients in an alcoholic beverage, standardised in Standards 2.7.2 to 2.7.5 of this Code, do not need to be declared in a statement of ingredients if the alcoholic beverage has been declared as an ingredient in the food.
Table to clause 6
Amount of compound ingredient in the food
Ingredients of the compound ingredient to be included in the statement of ingredients
5% or more
less than 5%
1. If applicable, any substance listed in the Table to clause 4 of Standard 1.2.3; and
2. all food additives in the compound ingredient that perform a technological function in the final food
(SORRY TABLE DIDN'T POST AS IT LOOKED IN THE STANDARD - refer link below)
The link to the Food Standards Code AU/NZ for this specific is issue - http://www.comlaw.go...ils/F2013C00983
Also a helpful link for labelling http://www.foodsafet...redients-v5.pdf
(I know this is an NZ document, but the only difference in labelling law between NZ and AU is that country of origin labelling is not required here in NZ.
As far as my understanding/interpretation goes. You'd need to follow the "Table to clause 6" even if it is a compound ingredient of a compound ingredient.
I did a 1 year stint in NPD and developed a bacon and lentil soup. I found to comply with compound labelling law that the ingredients for the bacon, increased the ingredient list substantially.
Ingredients: Water, Lentils (13%), Vegetables
(13%) (Carrot, Spinach Onion), Bacon (7%)
(Pork, Water, Salt, Sugar, Mineral Salts, [451,
452, 450], Dextrose, Vegetable Fibre [Potato],
Antioxidant , Preservative , Honey,
Smoke Flavour), Tomato Paste, Wheat Flour,
Vegetable Stock (Hydrolysed Vegetable Protein
[Soy]), Olive Oil, Dijon Mustard, Flavours (Milk),
Garlic, Salt, Lemon Juice Concentrate, Emulsifier
(Soya Lecithin), Spices, Herbs.
Edited by Ragga, 25 August 2014 - 01:33 AM.