• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 24 September 2014 - 07:31 PM

Hi all,

Can any recommend a good flowcharting program?  Must be windows compatible, easy to use, etc.  I have past experience with Visio, but would appreciate any comments on if that is still good, or if there are others out there that are better.

Many thanks!

Elise

Quality Ben

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 85 posts
  • 16 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia
  • Interests:Food Safety, Quality, Laboratory, Technical Issues, Water Activity and Migration, VITAL, Allergens, Fresh Produce, Post Harvest, Cold Smoked Fish, Non Pasteurised Caviar, Cook/Chill, Listeria Hunting & Eradication/Environmental monitoring programs, Small-Goods, HACCP, Continuous Improvement, Problem Solving, Risk Mitigation, Listeria.spp., High Risk, Chemistry, Cleaning and Sanitation, Biosecurity, Consultancy, Training, Process Control

Food Safety = Science + Culture

Posted 25 September 2014 - 06:23 AM

Hi Elise - you may find this article useful, I did.

Visio is pretty good for my money.

http://flowchart-sof...tenreviews.com/

Philip @ Safefood 360°

Philip @ Safefood 360

• Corporate Sponsor
  • 105 posts
  • 35 thanks
Good

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 25 September 2014 - 10:17 AM

If you would like a nice, simple and dare I say "free" flow diagram tool then you can't go wrong with https://www.draw.io/

It is entirely web based so will work in any browser. Easy to use and you can save your diagrams in a number of different formats.

I recommend saving in the XML format as you will be able to edit it again in the future through this tool, or other flow diagram tools which support XML like Visio and Safefood 360.

Hope this helps.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,836 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 25 September 2014 - 10:56 AM

If you would like a nice, simple and dare I say "free" flow diagram tool then you can't go wrong with https://www.draw.io/

Good call Philip, that's really nifty.

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Thanked by 1 Member:

nwkc

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 October 2014 - 06:37 PM

We've used Smart Draw for years. It's fairly user friendly, easily creates re-sizable, professional-appearing flow charts, and is reasonably priced. You can download a free trial at  www.smartdraw.com . Charts produced with the trial will have a watermark on them when printed, but if you purchase a license, those watermarks will be removed.

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 06 October 2014 - 06:57 PM

I've always just used PowerPoint to make flow charts.  It has good shapes, the lines connect well as long as you use it properly.  It helps you with spacing to keep things spaced evenly and will how spacing trends.  PowerPoint is easy to integrate into word and excel because they are all Microsoft products.  You can use colors and all sorts of other nifty things... and it's easy to use.

The only thing I can't remember is if it does cross over lines (lines that go past each other but don't connect).

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mr. Incognito

:tardis:

Mr. Incognito is a cool frood who can travel the width and breadth of the galaxy and still know where his towel is.

Kellio

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 156 posts
  • 72 thanks
Good

• Puerto Rico
    Puerto Rico

Posted 06 October 2014 - 08:18 PM

Smart Draw.. it is compatible with MS WORD Excel, and PowerPoint.  Also, it will generate PDF files.

Licenses are inexpensive if you buy the corporate version.

AS NUR

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 582 posts
  • 60 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 07 October 2014 - 12:33 AM

i am use excell.. its seem so familiar to make flowchart

rgds

AS NUr

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 07 October 2014 - 11:18 AM

i am use excell.. its seem so familiar to make flowchart

rgds

AS NUr

Excel isn't a bad choice to use the only issue I have with it is having to deal with row and column spacing... technically if you shrink them all down to look like graph paper I suspect it would work exceptionally well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mr. Incognito

:tardis:

Mr. Incognito is a cool frood who can travel the width and breadth of the galaxy and still know where his towel is.

fgjuadi

Grade - PIFSQN

• Banned
  • 898 posts
  • 203 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 October 2014 - 10:11 AM

Power point, excel, all MS Word programs have "shapes", which are easy to use and can be copied / pasted into other Office Programs.  If' you're going MS Office, pick Visio - it is designed for visual representation (also I'm going to marry it).   Visio has a tool that lines up shapes and lets you edit arrow types etc, while on other Office programs you have to get "creative" to get there.

I like Open Office Draw, it is an open source alternative to Visio (free).  That also means it has weird bugs sometimes and doesn't have all of the functionality of Visio.  But the community is great and chances are it'll meet your needs if you already know Visio.  Free.  Best for the adventurous.

Excel can do many things.  But that doesn't always mean it should do those things.  For example - I have a warehouse manager that built an entire factory map, in Excel, by making each cell represent one 1/2in of the factory.  It was a remarkable triumph of using the wrong program.  You could tell hours of work and manipulation went into it.  It was 26 by 50-some pages printed.  But with Visio, you just type in your scale, and enter h &w, and an object the right size pops up. 

.--. .- -. - ... / --- .--. - .. --- -. .- .-..

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users