• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 03 October 2014 - 08:00 AM

Dear all forum members,

I have a question that I would like some experienced members to answer.  We deal in products that are of a premix nature, dry instant premixes of tea, soups, coffee mainly.  My concern is with finding the appropriate CCPs in our production process.  As far as the raw materials are concerned, since it is of a dry nature, there doesn't seem to be a real possibility for bacterial or pathogenic contamination.  The only factor I can think of that can swing things unfavorably is humidity.  Humidity can cause the instant tea extract to absorb moisture in the air.  So, what I'm basically asking is, if your process doesn't have very many CCPs, is that something to be alarmed with?  We do not deal in glass containers, meats, dairy, nuts, etc.  

Any insight into this would be appreciated.  Thanks! 

jel

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 113 posts
  • 33 thanks
Good

• Mexico
    Mexico

Posted 03 October 2014 - 01:21 PM

Dear all forum members,

I have a question that I would like some experienced members to answer.  We deal in products that are of a premix nature, dry instant premixes of tea, soups, coffee mainly.  My concern is with finding the appropriate CCPs in our production process.  As far as the raw materials are concerned, since it is of a dry nature, there doesn't seem to be a real possibility for bacterial or pathogenic contamination.  The only factor I can think of that can swing things unfavorably is humidity.  Humidity can cause the instant tea extract to absorb moisture in the air.  So, what I'm basically asking is, if your process doesn't have very many CCPs, is that something to be alarmed with?  We do not deal in glass containers, meats, dairy, nuts, etc.  

The determination of a CCP is just one of the steps of the HACCP Plan, so my recommendation is to follow the entire methodology developed by the Codex Alimentarius. 

When you reach the point of determining the CCP, you have two alternatives: one is to use the Codex decision tree, and the other is to use the decision tree presents the organization www.safefood360.com in his excellent article "Determining Control Measures in HACCP "

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 03 October 2014 - 02:02 PM

I agree with Jel.

Perform your risk analysis and rate the likelihood and severity of the applicable risks and if one rises to the level of a ccp then find a way to mitigate the risk appropriately.

My best wild guess would be that your biggest risk may be physical hazards working with products that have a low aw.  But also possibly pesticides and the like working with products where the ingredients are all grown in fields (for the most part).

I don't know your exact process or risk analysis so it's really inappropriate to try to really direct you in a specific direction.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mr. Incognito

:tardis:

Mr. Incognito is a cool frood who can travel the width and breadth of the galaxy and still know where his towel is.

Mike Green

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 355 posts
  • 75 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Food(cooking & eating!) Gym, Sun, Sea,Surf,

Posted 03 October 2014 - 02:26 PM

Dear all forum members,

The attached doc might help

-despite the fact that one of the authors is the superbly named Prof. Boobis - it is actually a nice serious document(!) (apologies couldn't resist that one!)

focussing on pathogens in 'dry' foods Attached File  Persistence and survival report.pdf   448.79KB   104 downloads

Kind Regards

Mike

I may sound like a complete idiot...but actually there are a couple of bits missing

Thanked by 1 Member:
jel

jel

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 113 posts
  • 33 thanks
Good

• Mexico
    Mexico

Posted 03 October 2014 - 03:41 PM

The attached doc might help

-despite the fact that one of the authors is the superbly named Prof. Boobis - it is actually a nice serious document(!) (apologies couldn't resist that one!)

focussing on pathogens in 'dry' foods attachicon.gifPersistence and survival report.pdf

Kind Regards

Mike

Thank's you. This is an great resource

Thanked by 1 Member:

alamba78

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 03 October 2014 - 06:14 PM

Thanks everyone for the advice.  Yea, we have gone through our process and the entire HACCP methodology.  I was just a little concerned with finding few CCPs, but I guess that all depends on the nature of the business.  I will definitely go through the links and articles you all have mentioned.  Thank you for taking the time.  I'm especially interested in the Persistence and Survival Report.  Mr. Incognito, you definitely hit the nail on the head, we are especially careful with physical hazards, pesticides, and humidity.  Those are pretty much the major CCPs we found so far.

alamba78

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 03 October 2014 - 06:24 PM

Mike Green, thanks for sharing the Persistence and Survival Report.  Just started reading it and had to stop to tell you how useful this report will be for us.  Great resource!

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 03 October 2014 - 06:57 PM

Remember you don't want a lot of CCPs if you don't have to have them.  Using control points (oPRPs or whatever you want to call them) and PRPs to mitigate the risk and keep it low enough that you don't need a CCP helps.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mr. Incognito

:tardis:

Mr. Incognito is a cool frood who can travel the width and breadth of the galaxy and still know where his towel is.

Mike Green

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 355 posts
  • 75 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Food(cooking & eating!) Gym, Sun, Sea,Surf,

Posted 03 October 2014 - 07:22 PM

Mike Green, thanks for sharing the Persistence and Survival Report.  Just started reading it and had to stop to tell you how useful this report will be for us.  Great resource!

no problem at all- I'm pleased you are finding it useful!!

Mike

I may sound like a complete idiot...but actually there are a couple of bits missing

Thanked by 1 Member:

agasr

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 37 posts
  • 9 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 October 2014 - 11:01 PM

Hi -

Going through your query & the response, I was wondering about Metal detection as CCP ? metal that could come from the processing equipments ?

Regards,

agasr

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 04 October 2014 - 06:10 AM

Dear alamba,

From memory, there is at least one "typical' haccp plan for tea products on this forum.

As per previous attachment, low humidity does not unfortunately exclude contamination/survival of some pathogens.

Maybe try a search for "tea" or "haccp tea".

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users