• Quick Navigation
Photo

Travel to Work Time

Share this

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
28 replies to this topic

Poll: Travel to Work Time (15 member(s) have cast votes)

What would be the maximum (unpaid) travel to work time you would consider?

1. Up to 30 minutes (6 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

2. Up to 45 minutes (4 votes [26.67%])

Percentage of vote: 26.67%

3. Up to 60 minutes (2 votes [13.33%])

Percentage of vote: 13.33%

4. Up to 90 minutes (2 votes [13.33%])

Percentage of vote: 13.33%

5. More than 90 minutes (1 votes [6.67%])

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

Vote
- - - - -

Mike Green

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 355 posts
  • 75 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Food(cooking & eating!) Gym, Sun, Sea,Surf,

Posted 09 October 2014 - 08:16 PM

Hi All-

Just wondered if I could get an international perspective on our current local debate!

What would be the maximum travel to work time (unpaid)  you would consider to a regular place of work? -i prefer time rather than distance as it takes into account transport type, road types,traffic etc)

Thanks in advance for your input

Mike

Edited by Mike Green, 09 October 2014 - 08:17 PM.

I may sound like a complete idiot...but actually there are a couple of bits missing

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 09 October 2014 - 09:27 PM

10 minutes!! Though I have been closer in the past. At one time I used to travel from west wales to Edinburgh on a Sunday and travel home on a Thursday!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanked by 1 Member:

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 October 2014 - 10:10 PM

Less than 30 minutes would be the ideal.  Really I like 10-15 minutes.   I have in the past traveled much longer and temporarily doing a long commute.  It's nice to have the time to really talk to the kids....but the drive time is killer. 

Edited by Snookie, 09 October 2014 - 10:11 PM.

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

Thanked by 1 Member:

Quality Ben

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 85 posts
  • 16 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia
  • Interests:Food Safety, Quality, Laboratory, Technical Issues, Water Activity and Migration, VITAL, Allergens, Fresh Produce, Post Harvest, Cold Smoked Fish, Non Pasteurised Caviar, Cook/Chill, Listeria Hunting & Eradication/Environmental monitoring programs, Small-Goods, HACCP, Continuous Improvement, Problem Solving, Risk Mitigation, Listeria.spp., High Risk, Chemistry, Cleaning and Sanitation, Biosecurity, Consultancy, Training, Process Control

Food Safety = Science + Culture

Posted 09 October 2014 - 10:44 PM

I think it really depends on what kind of travel you are talking about.

Inner city public transport? Inner city commute? Country driving? Car pooling with an obnoxious colleague? Car pooling with that sexy new girl/guy?

Lots of variables here.

Personally I think a 30 minute country drive is enough (approx 50-60kms) and an hour on public transport like a train etc as you can sleep / work / relax. 

Thanked by 1 Member:

Mike Green

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 355 posts
  • 75 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 10 October 2014 - 08:04 AM

10 minutes!! Though I have been closer in the past. At one time I used to travel from west wales to Edinburgh on a Sunday and travel home on a Thursday!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Less than 30 minutes would be the ideal.  Really I like 10-15 minutes.   I have in the past traveled much longer and temporarily doing a long commute.  It's nice to have the time to really talk to the kids....but the drive time is killer. 

Thanks for that- they are nice commutes- the maximum I have done regularly(for a short period) is 3 hours each way

I think it really depends on what kind of travel you are talking about.

Inner city public transport? Inner city commute? Country driving? Car pooling with an obnoxious colleague? Car pooling with that sexy new girl/guy?

Lots of variables here.

Personally I think a 30 minute country drive is enough (approx 50-60kms) and an hour on public transport like a train etc as you can sleep / work / relax. 

Thanks for that- I'm talking about an urban drive( so sadly no sleeping or sexy colleague!)

I didn't want to complicate the question-but basically I am testing out our T2W policy

We have a new 4yr contract  75-90 minutes drive away-so it will become a 'regular place of work'-just interested in the maximum someone would be prepared to travel without being paid travel time!

I suppose the salary may influence someones decision -but I guess it is pointless putting an actual £/$ value on it (with different cost of living etc in different countries)- so lets clarify that the job is 35 hrs per week at  3 x national minimum wage

How far would you travel for that?

Kind Regards

Mike

I may sound like a complete idiot...but actually there are a couple of bits missing

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 10 October 2014 - 11:07 AM

Ah now that changes things!

If you were changing my "regular" place of work, with a longer commute, then id expect to be compensated for that.

Also, are you providing a car allowance to take into consideration wear & tear / petrol used?

I have just turned down a job because it would mean an hours commute at either end of my day. The pay was @ £20k a year more, but by the time I worked out the deductions for tax (over the 40% threshold) and the cost of travelling, id be no better off.

Caz x

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 10 October 2014 - 11:08 AM

I suppose the salary may influence someones decision -but I guess it is pointless putting an actual £/$ value on it (with different cost of living etc in different countries)- so lets clarify that the job is 35 hrs per week at  3 x national minimum wage

Yep, For £19.50 an hour, 10 minutes!

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 10 October 2014 - 11:11 AM

In general I've worked an hour away (in good weather and traffic) from work when I was a DVD technician.  I would work an hour away from "home" (read that as where I am sleeping) but if the money was right I'd work further away... but once your driving 2 hours a day to work you're going to be eating into that salary and paying it to the gas/oil companies anyhow.

Currently I live 15 minutes from work (not bad) but my previous job was 5 minutes by car from where I lived... I walked it a few times.  And then of course in the Navy I just had to walk up two flights of stairs and down a hallway to get from where I slept to where I worked.  Where I ate was a convenient 2 minute walk.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mr. Incognito

:tardis:

Mr. Incognito is a cool frood who can travel the width and breadth of the galaxy and still know where his towel is.

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 10 October 2014 - 11:13 AM

Yep, For £19.50 an hour, 10 minutes!

3X minimum wage in the united states is $21.75.  I lived an hour away from work (DVD plant again) and I was making around $19 - 19.80 an hour... however I believe gas was a bit less than it is now... about half. 

I'm guessing max I'd travel an hour.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mr. Incognito

Mr. Incognito is a cool frood who can travel the width and breadth of the galaxy and still know where his towel is.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Mike Green

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 355 posts
  • 75 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 10 October 2014 - 01:59 PM

Ah now that changes things!

If you were changing my "regular" place of work, with a longer commute, then id expect to be compensated for that.

Also, are you providing a car allowance to take into consideration wear & tear / petrol used?

Caz x

Hi Caz- 

We actually will pay travel time(& petrol expenses) for this-I'm just trying to gauge whether the payment kicks in at a reasonable time!

Mike

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 October 2014 - 04:47 PM

I am curious, if travel was not involved, would the pay still be 3X times the minimum wage or is that pay because of the distance? 

Think it will all come down to peoples circumstances, such as mass transit, vehicle condition, child care etc. 

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

Mike Green

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 355 posts
  • 75 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 10 October 2014 - 05:05 PM

I am curious, if travel was not involved, would the pay still be 3X times the minimum wage or is that pay because of the distance? 

Think it will all come down to peoples circumstances, such as mass transit, vehicle condition, child care etc. 

That is the standard rate of pay 

Mike

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,841 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 10 October 2014 - 05:25 PM

It depends how much I needed the job. 

A decent quality/technical manager in the food industry should be able to command in excess of £35k a year with less travel.

Are they decent?  If so you would want to keep them for the long haul so I would pay them two hours a day. 1/2 hour travel is reasonable.

It depends how much you are getting.  If there's plenty of float not worth penny pinching.

35 hours + 2 hours a day travel = 45 hours x £19.50 = £45,630.

That will be more attractive to someone...I feel.

Personally I wouldn't do it as my time is very valuable and I absolutely hate driving in traffic.

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Thanked by 1 Member:

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 October 2014 - 05:46 PM

A decent quality/technical manager in the food industry should be able to command in excess of £35k a year with less travel.

Are they decent?  If so you would want to keep them for the long haul so I would pay them two hours a day. 1/2 hour travel is reasonable.

It depends how much you are getting.  If there's plenty of float not worth penny pinching.

Perosnally I wouldn't do it as my time is very valuable and I absolutely hate driving in traffic.

So 35K would translate to about 56K (depending on exchange rate) in the US.  Most FS/QA MGRs, in the US depending on location and experience are running between 50K to 85K.....but then you guys probably don't have to pay for medical insurance/care and have other social safety nets that most of our states don't have.  Our salaries can look attractive....but my European friends think "we" in the US are nuts and can't wait to get back to their own countries. 

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,841 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 10 October 2014 - 05:52 PM

Hi Snookie, yes in the UK we have the national health service, which is free..well sort of we pay mandatory tax (national insurance) out of salary on top of income tax.  If we didn't have to pay NI we could no doubt get private medical insurance much, much cheaper, but then it covers all of the people who cannot pay, or won't pay or anyone else who moves here that has never paid. :smile:  It's a very nice country. :rolleyes:

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 10 October 2014 - 05:56 PM

Hi Snookie, yes in the UK we have the national health service, which is free..well sort of we pay mandatory tax (national insurance) out of salary on top of income tax.  If we didn't have to pay NI we could no doubt get private medical insurance much, much cheaper, but then it covers all of the people who cannot pay, or won't pay or anyone else who moves here that has never paid. :smile:  It's a very nice country. :rolleyes:

:whistle:      :shutup:    :eekout:  

Mr. Incognito

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 10 October 2014 - 05:57 PM

I feel it best to stay at least 1 mile away from this conversation. That would be about 1.6 KM for some of you

Mr. Incognito

Mike Green

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 355 posts
  • 75 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 10 October 2014 - 06:20 PM

Personally I wouldn't do it as my time is very valuable and I absolutely hate driving in traffic.

Thanks Simon, (we already have the staff)-the idea of the poll was to test  our current policy -which strangely enough is more or less what you have posted!

ie travel up to 1hr is acceptable at the basic rate of pay-anything over that and travel time kicks in (plus petrol expenses of course!)

Mike

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,841 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 10 October 2014 - 06:25 PM

Thanks Simon, (we already have the staff)-the idea of the poll was to test  our current policy -which strangely enough is more or less what you have posted!

ie travel up to 1hr is acceptable at the basic rate of pay-anything over that and travel time kicks in (plus petrol expenses of course!)

Mike

Hi Mike, depends on which side of the fence you are sitting, but I suppose your offer is reasonable and the >1/2 is Reasonable.

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 October 2014 - 06:37 PM

I feel it best to stay at least 1 mile away from this conversation. That would be about 1.6 KM for some of you

I typed what I said with great hesitation thinking it might just "set you off".  But was sharing how my European friends felt....

Deep breathes....Deep breathes...

Edited by Snookie, 10 October 2014 - 06:38 PM.

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 10 October 2014 - 06:58 PM

I typed what I said with great hesitation thinking it might just "set you off".  But was sharing how my European friends felt....

Deep breathes....Deep breathes...

exceptional restraint... I had originally typed some stuff and things but I realized in a very brief moment of restrained clarity that it wasn't the place or time.  That being said what I was going to post was something exceptionally tame compared to what you probably think I was going to write. 

All in all I think I did pretty good :hypocrite:

So back to the conversation at hand... 1 hour... unless I was paid well enough to drive further.

Mr. Incognito

Mike Green

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 355 posts
  • 75 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 10 October 2014 - 06:58 PM

yup  ^^^^^^ this  ... the NHS is a very expensive system for the country & arguably for the individuals (that pay).  every other person (nearly!!) comes out of hospital carying MRSA or some other lovely pathogen (irrespective of what they went in with) ... & the general standard of care & treatment (and survival rate!) is  pretty much a postcode lottery.. & the food is terrible (that stuff could kill you -which is ironic!) :roflmao:

.,,,,,  I'm told by the UK government that it is the envy of the world!

Mike

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 10 October 2014 - 07:24 PM

yup  ^^^^^^ this  ... the NHS is a very expensive system for the country & arguably for the individuals (that pay).  every other person (nearly!!) comes out of hospital carying MRSA or some other lovely pathogen (irrespective of what they went in with) ... & the general standard of care & treatment (and survival rate!) is  pretty much a postcode lottery.. & the food is terrible (that stuff could kill you -which is ironic!) :roflmao:

.,,,,,  I'm told by the UK government that it is the envy of the world!

Mike

This is very interesting to me. 

Annnnnnnd....

So as I said 1 hour unless the pay was very good :roflmao:  (I'm trying to stay on topic as much as I can here people!!! lol)

Mr. Incognito

Mike Green

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 355 posts
  • 75 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 10 October 2014 - 07:30 PM

This is very interesting to me. 

Annnnnnnd....

So as I said 1 hour unless the pay was very good :roflmao:  (I'm trying to stay on topic as much as I can here people!!! lol)

I think to be fair Simon was the one that went off topic first!- as for me 'its my topic-so I'll go off if I want to'

Go on Mr I , go for it- you know you want to lol  !

Mike

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,841 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 10 October 2014 - 07:37 PM

:off_topic:

By the way I just noticed you two (Mike and Mr I) have both changed colour this week, Mike you are now blue and a Senior member and Mr I...wow! You are now gold and a Fellow member of the IFSQN. Well done guys. :clap:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users