Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 361 posts
  • 22 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 27 October 2014 - 01:46 AM

hi all, i'm looking equipment to check temperature of cold room environment and our finished product is ice, any recommendation for the type of equipment? Infrared thermometer suitable?? 

Siobhan123

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 12 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 27 October 2014 - 11:16 AM

Hi Carine 

We use a data logger in our blast chill room and you can programme it take the temperature whenever you want ours currently takes the temp every hour. All the info is downloaded on to our computer. It will sound an alarm if the temperature goes above or below a range you have specified. 

We currently use this one: 

http://thermometer.c...logger-td.html 

Hope this helps 

Siobhan

carine

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 361 posts
  • 22 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 28 October 2014 - 04:46 AM

hi Siobhan, 

Thanks for ur reply.. Equipment that i looking for is for verification purpose, means i need to check cold room temp randomly.. to ensure the temperature is always within our spec..

Siobhan123

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 12 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 28 October 2014 - 08:05 AM

Hmmm well i know our data logger takes just sits in our chill all week and gives us an average temperature, min and max temp, and a time line print out so we can see when it spikes up to a higher temperature when we download the information off of it (all in easy to read graphs :) )

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 28 October 2014 - 08:53 AM

Dear carine,

The equipment mentioned by Siobhan probably consists of one or (probably) >1 thermocouples. Should be fine for verification of air temperatures assuming thermocouples are appropriately positioned and calibrated.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

it_rains_inside

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 341 posts
  • 98 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 October 2014 - 12:55 PM

We use Dickson Circle Chart Recorder, Change the charts out weekly and keep them in a binder after they've been reviewed. This provides a constant record - no verification needed.

http://www.dicksonda.../products/KT625

"Peace is the result of retraining your mind to process life as it is, rather than as you think it should be"

-Wayne W. Dyer

rrana786

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 10 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 29 October 2014 - 02:08 PM

Hello, Any Thermometer that is calibrated and Traceable will be valid to work according to regulation, also Calibarated Data logger will be agood starting point

RG3

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 501 posts
  • 169 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them" Albert Einstein

Posted 29 October 2014 - 03:26 PM

You're in luck Carine. I found this Data Logger that has FANTASTIC graphs you can save and print on pdf and data log you can make notes save and print on pdf that read out on a frequency you want from: 10sec 15sec 20sec 30sec 1min 2min 5min 10min 15min 30min 1hr 6hr or 12hrs. It also has an alarm if it goes above the specified limit you set. No hardwire required, it's battery operated and it easily plugs into your computer through USB. (I sound like an infomercial)

You can also purchase the calibration cert. which you will need for auditors.

below is the model I use EL-USB-1-LCD

http://www.lascarele...&datalogger=402

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 29 October 2014 - 04:26 PM

If it is equipment you are looking for, the link below has some great stuff and they include jelly bellies with their shipments.  :happydance:

http://www.thermoworks.com/

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

trubertq

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 658 posts
  • 281 thanks
Excellent

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 29 October 2014 - 06:22 PM

a simple method is to read the  temperature gauge outside the unit twice a day.......this has the added advantage of giving you some exercise as well, so good for your health too :giggle:

otherwise use calibrated PT100s linked to a datalogger which will give you a printout... and alarm if the chill/freezer/cold store goes out of  spec.

I'm entitled to my opinion, even a stopped clock is right twice a day

it_rains_inside

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 341 posts
  • 98 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 29 October 2014 - 08:26 PM

I dont know what GFSI scheme you are under, if any... but I know BRC states in 4.14.2 "Where temperature control is required, the storage area shall be capable of maintaining product temperature within specification and operated to ensure specific temperatures are maintained. Temperature recording equipment with suitable temperature alarms shall be fitted to all storage facilities OR there shall be a system of recorded manual temperature checks, typically on at least a four-hourly basis or at a frequency which allows for intervention before product temperatures exceed defined limits for the safety, legality or quality of product"

Just something to consider, constant data loggers / circle charts or something of the sort fit the bill best.

"Peace is the result of retraining your mind to process life as it is, rather than as you think it should be"

-Wayne W. Dyer

khall_12_34

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 March 2015 - 02:23 PM

I too am looking for a temp. monitoring system. I'm looking for a wifi enabled thermometer, preferably with cloud based logging and data dissemination (alarms). Anyone have a system they are in love with? 

We're just a family business, and since all we handle is potatoes temp. isn't as much a food safety issue as it is a food quality issue, but we'll have to deploy at least 2 if not 3 of these things, so i'd be nice not to have to shell out $800 a crack.... 

RG3

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 501 posts
  • 169 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them" Albert Einstein

Posted 03 March 2015 - 04:45 PM

I too am looking for a temp. monitoring system. I'm looking for a wifi enabled thermometer, preferably with cloud based logging and data dissemination (alarms). Anyone have a system they are in love with? 

We're just a family business, and since all we handle is potatoes temp. isn't as much a food safety issue as it is a food quality issue, but we'll have to deploy at least 2 if not 3 of these things, so i'd be nice not to have to shell out $800 a crack.... 

Try this khall

http://www.lascarele...ser=1&cat[]=112

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users