I started this job in January, but was not given effective functionality until about March. Our 2013 AIB audit did not show improvement over 2012, it was a bit worse. We changed production managers in July. The Maintenance Director left just last month, and he had started in March. And it's a small company, less than 50 workers, where these changes have a huge impact.
So I voted "Some" in the poll. Goals below:
- Get a better score with AIB (audit next week.) Won't know until then. Will depend on the mood of the auditor.
- Set up an Environmental Monitoring Program. That is done.
- Improve the cleaning and sanitation of the production area. Not accomplished yet, but working on it.
- Bring all our written programs into regulatory compliance. That is done. I'm good at writing plans.
- Improve the overall training program for workers. Made all new training materials, but getting the production department to take the time to train is the problem. Working on it.
Goals for next year, all of the above, and add:
Decide on a GFSI scheme to use and go for that certification. Have narrowed it down, but want to see what BRC v.7 looks like. There will be a lot more work to be done to go for that certification, it is a goal for next year. If we go GFSI, we will most likely drop AIB.
Those are my food safety goals. I am also the occupational safety officer, and I had to re-write the entire safety program (they were using a generic program out of a book) and develop all the safety training materials. I've accomplished all those goals, but you can always improve safety. People do really crazy things at times, one of my favorite sayings is, "What were they thinking?"
Our plant is more like a flour mill than any other type, and the process is mostly contained in the equipment. We make food grade fibers. That is why selecting the right GFSI plan is important, because our process is not like most others. As I like to say, we don't package chicken here (joke because the Eastern Shore of MD is one of the largest chicken producing areas in the US.)
"...everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms--to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way." Viktor E. Frankl
"Life's like a movie, write your own ending." The Muppets