• IFSQN Associate
  • 18 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 12 January 2015 - 11:28 AM

Hi all, 

Does anyone know what a good documented policy for the control of the use of sharp metal implements looks like. (For a meat manufacturing plant)

Thanks in advance. 

trubertq

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 658 posts
  • 281 thanks
Excellent

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 12 January 2015 - 11:52 AM

Knife/sharps control policy,  they're very dependent on the specific business but I'm attaching a generic one you can cannabalise if you wish. It's BRC approved !!  :sleazy:

There are other methods I have seen on here f. ex a silhouette board, where you have the outline of the knives drawn on a board and you can see at a glance when one is missing. The main thing is to prevent people taking in and removing their knives/sharps. I know I started a thread on here about this..let me have a look.

I knew I had....http://www.ifsqn.com...control-policy/

Attached Files

Edited by trubertq, 12 January 2015 - 11:55 AM.

I'm entitled to my opinion, even a stopped clock is right twice a day

Thanked by 3 Members:

Tom draper

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 18 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 12 January 2015 - 01:27 PM

Thanks a million, 

That is a great help. I am well on my way now.  :ejut:

RG3

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 501 posts
  • 169 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them" Albert Einstein

Posted 12 January 2015 - 04:48 PM

Knife/sharps control policy,  they're very dependent on the specific business but I'm attaching a generic one you can cannabalise if you wish. It's BRC approved !!  :sleazy:

There are other methods I have seen on here f. ex a silhouette board, where you have the outline of the knives drawn on a board and you can see at a glance when one is missing. The main thing is to prevent people taking in and removing their knives/sharps. I know I started a thread on here about this..let me have a look.

I knew I had....http://www.ifsqn.com...control-policy/

This is nice trubertq...Although there are a few things that are left up to interpretation and a few things I may want to add just some suggestions:

2.6 Knives shall be sanitised frequently by operators during use.

Frequency is not established nor is the type of sanitizer to be used at what dilution.

Missing the verification part of your SOP. Who verifies that it's clean and how do they do the verification.

trubertq

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 658 posts
  • 281 thanks
Excellent

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 12 January 2015 - 05:34 PM

Thanks for the feedback RG3

As I said this is a generic SOP , the specifics have been removed.

The Supervisors are responsible for verification of cleanliness and condition when they are signing the knives back in. The frequency of cleaning during production depends greatly on what task is being carried out, f . ex knives used for dirty jobs like opening sacks of shellfish will require more frequent cleaning that those used to open leaking vacuum packs after pasteurisation.

It's difficult to write a catch all procedure for this particular facility as there are a wide range of tasks from live intake to pasteurisation of shellfish, what works in one area won't work in another. The personnel are well trained in Food safety and also receive instructions from supervisors when starting each task. Their individual SOP will reference the frequency of sanitising knives if they are used.

There is only one sanitiser in use in the production area, and it is provided in a diluted state, in colour coded bottles. There is  also have a procedure for filling sanitiser bottles, which outlines the dilution.

I'm entitled to my opinion, even a stopped clock is right twice a day

RG3

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 501 posts
  • 169 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them" Albert Einstein

Posted 12 January 2015 - 05:38 PM

Thanks for the feedback RG3

As I said this is a generic SOP , the specifics have been removed.

The Supervisors are responsible for verification of cleanliness and condition when they are signing the knives back in. The frequency of cleaning during production depends greatly on what task is being carried out, f . ex knives used for dirty jobs like opening sacks of shellfish will require more frequent cleaning that those used to open leaking vacuum packs after pasteurisation.

It's difficult to write a catch all procedure for this particular facility as there are a wide range of tasks from live intake to pasteurisation of shellfish, what works in one area won't work in another. The personnel are well trained in Food safety and also receive instructions from supervisors when starting each task. Their individual SOP will reference the frequency of sanitising knives if they are used.

There is only one sanitiser in use in the production area, and it is provided in a diluted state, in colour coded bottles. There is  also have a procedure for filling sanitiser bottles, which outlines the dilution.

100% understand...like I said it has a good structure...there are people that do think they can just copy paste so it's good for them to know they need to tailor it to their trade. You definitely know what you're doing!

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users